Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 16, 2021, 08:35:39 AM
Dear colleague,
I am hoping that you announce your retirement soon. 
I'll even bake you a cake!
I bake really, really good cakes.
The sooner you retire, the sooner you can have tasty cake!
Are you feeling tempted? . . .

Sorry for the double, but...should you also offer pie, in case they like pie better?

Something about diversifying the attraction of the lure to the trout comes to mind...and the fierce partisanship on the old forum's pie/cake thread.

Good luck in all cases!

M .
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Quote from: mamselle on February 16, 2021, 08:40:04 AM
Quote from: the_geneticist on February 16, 2021, 08:35:39 AM
Dear colleague,
I am hoping that you announce your retirement soon. 
I'll even bake you a cake!
I bake really, really good cakes.
The sooner you retire, the sooner you can have tasty cake!
Are you feeling tempted? . . .

Sorry for the double, but...should you also offer pie, in case they like pie better?

Something about diversifying the attraction of the lure to the trout comes to mind...and the fierce partisanship on the old forum's pie/cake thread.

Good luck in all cases!

M .
I also bake excellent pie!

Charlotte

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 16, 2021, 09:34:23 AM
I also bake excellent pie!

I feel that anyone who announces that must also tell their secret to baking good cakes and pies! I've never been very successful with baking. My pie crusts are particularly problematic.

mamselle

OK., that's all it will take to start another "Cake, Pie, and Related Questions" thread....

Maybe less controversive, more discursive, than the old Forum "Cake vs. Pie" thread....for some, of course, them's fightin' words...but maybe we can be more ecumenical on the subject?

(..maybe?...)

I'll start it:

https://thefora.org/index.php?topic=2150.0

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Economizer

Realizing the risks involved, in a matter pertaining to cross cultural foods consumption, a favorite American sauce, A-1 and/or storebrand of the same, makes breakfast burritos even more delicious. And, furthermore, I  am certain that such appropriately marketed to Spanish, and possibly Portuguese, speaking countries would greatly enhance opportunities for positive foreign trade balances with the other nations of the global marketplace, maybe?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

namazu

Yes, you are right as you are drippingly sanctimonious.

FishProf

You win.  You are going to get what have been demanding.

You aren't going to like it.

And I am going to enjoy the hell out of this.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

downer

Dear family member.

It has been 16 years since you got a job. I know you keep on applying for them, even get interviews, and then are disappointed. But when I ask you about the prep you are doing for the interviews, it seems to be zero. You don't actually seem to be working on getting a job, but rather are applying for jobs that you would like to have. You seem to be missing the intermediate stage of making yourself attractive to employers.

I'm sure that living on welfare isn't that easy. But you did get that money from the older family member dying. And you have had plenty of access to courses on how to make yourself employable. It just seems that you are too comfortable semi-stuck in your current position. You are not very motivated to change it. But once your kid leaves home, maybe you will be. I hope you are not unemployable at that stage.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Economizer

Quote from: mamselle on February 16, 2021, 08:37:25 AM
Quote from: Economizer on February 12, 2021, 05:07:23 AM
Madam Secretary,
It has been reported on a local news broadcast this A.M. that the U.S.goverment spending exceeded its GDP (Gross Domestic Product) for last year! WHAT GIVES, HUH?

According to my Econ 101 undergrad lecturer, that's not a big deal.

Governments, unlike individuals, have that capacity.

And given the past four years' craziness, that is hardly our biggest problem.

M.
Might you have taken your ECON 101 class "back in the day"? Perhaps during that time it was inconceivable that goverment spending outpacing our gross national product could even happen? Well, evidently, it did happen so now I guess economists are waiting to see if it is "trending".
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

fishbrains

Looky here, f*ckface. The reason I don't think George Eliot wrote that particular article in the database--an article that was first published in 2012--is because . . . hmmm . . .  how do I explain this . . . the George Eliot in question has been stone-cold f*cking dead for about 140 years.

FFS, the article is kind of about her and other writers of the time. If you are going to be so f*cking snotty in your emails, at least don't be a complete idiot about it. And, by-the-by, this wasn't even close to being a possible topic for this essay assignment.

Your email is giving me hives.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

Maybe they think George Eliot collaborated with George Sands?

"Happy boys together," and all that?

;--}

M.

mamselle

Quote from: Economizer on February 22, 2021, 08:31:20 AM
Quote from: mamselle on February 16, 2021, 08:37:25 AM
Quote from: Economizer on February 12, 2021, 05:07:23 AM
Madam Secretary,
It has been reported on a local news broadcast this A.M. that the U.S.goverment spending exceeded its GDP (Gross Domestic Product) for last year! WHAT GIVES, HUH?

According to my Econ 101 undergrad lecturer, that's not a big deal.

Governments, unlike individuals, have that capacity.

And given the past four years' craziness, that is hardly our biggest problem.

M.
Might you have taken your ECON 101 class "back in the day"? Perhaps during that time it was inconceivable that goverment spending outpacing our gross national product could even happen? Well, evidently, it did happen so now I guess economists are waiting to see if it is "trending".

Keynesian economics was not new even when I took that class, it had been around for a few decades by that point, I believe. We were tossing GNP, NNP, and deficit spending around like marbles in a jar and having fun watching them make pretty patterns.

Economic constriction is a far greater foe, as I recall.

So, no.

M.

Economizer

OK, if you say so. What you wrote sure reads better than what I've written.

apl68

We didn't appreciate you flaking out on us, Adobe Connect.  That was an important meeting, with thousands of dollars in federal aid riding on it.  At least Zoom came through as a substitute.

See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

the_geneticist

I am working with you because of your supposed expertise in online course design.  I expect YOU to be knowledgable about what platforms/software/publishers integrate well with our course management system.  And to have answers to questions like "Can I set up modules so that students have to complete [task 1] before doing [task 2]?". 
You sound surprised every time I ask something.  I can figure out the HOW to do things, I'm asking you what things CAN be done so I don't waste my time figuring out if the answer is yes or no.