News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaeo42

To quote The Princess Bride (with a slight alteration), "You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean."
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

FishProf

"Yes, I know there is a form that will allow me to waive the prerequisite for you.  I'm not gonna.

Go away."

Oh, wait, I did say everything but the last bit.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

nescafe

"Attached please find my totally finished, polished paper for next week's presentation. I thought ahead and had this ready for sharing in advance, because I am no slouch and I certainly haven't been procrastinating and/or stress-baking for the last two weeks.
Best,
nescafe"

Liquidambar

This week's meeting on ideas to generate more revenue sucked up $10K worth of man hours.  (It was surprisingly well attended.)  I hope you're keeping track, since any extra revenue you generate will need to compensate for such meetings.  Right now you're running a net loss.

Also, if you can't describe New Interdisciplinary Course Requirement without using jargon from your subfield, that suggests the topic isn't really that broad and you shouldn't expect my department to offer any courses on the topic.  If we can't understand your description of the topic, we sure as heck aren't qualified to teach a whole course on it.

(It's been a bad week for meetings.)
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

fishbrains

Any initiative the College isn't going to fully fund and hire personnel for isn't an initiative that I will participate in. That's right! If the College isn't really invested in the project and is just asking us to chase our tails with busywork, then I'm not going to do it!

So there! Take that! Hah!
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

sitehound

Please, please retire. You are lazy, uncooperative, rigid, and manipulative.

Porcupine

Interdisciplinarity is predicated on disciplines existing. Interdisciplinarity does not and should not mean "liberal education hash".

ciao_yall

Gee, I never did hear from you again on this subject. Perhaps you finally dropped it, like every other sane person on the planet?

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: sitehound on November 11, 2019, 04:27:17 AM
Please, please retire. You are lazy, uncooperative, rigid, and manipulative.

A rhetorical question - do you work in my department?

ab_grp

[watching tech do a remote install of software on my computer]

Argh!!! Please for the love of all that is holy, just let me do it! How hard is it?

archaeo42

Quote from: ab_grp on November 11, 2019, 11:19:34 AM

Argh!!! Please for the love of all that is holy, just let me do it! How hard is it?

Oh, I felt this so very much this past month. I hope it's all done with.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

ab_grp

Quote from: archaeo42 on November 12, 2019, 04:37:05 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on November 11, 2019, 11:19:34 AM

Oh, I felt this so very much this past month. I hope it's all done with.

Ugh, I'm sorry you have had to deal with it too.  So frustrating.  This is the second time they've attempted the installation, the first being an utter failure that took some of my other software with it.  No success on this attempt so far, but today's another day (and tomorrow, and tomorrow...).  It's like watching some randomly selected ghost meander through the file structure trying to figure out what to do.  What might launch the install? So many files.  I'm sure setup.exe is not relevant.  At times I have jumped into the chat to point out that they needed to open or close particular files, look in a different directory, etc.  Now I just go read a book or something and cross my fingers.   Hope you don't have to deal with it again any time soon, and thanks for the support!

mamselle

Rule to live by:

Before ever letting IT near your computer, back everything up.

Twice.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

Several, all unrelated:

(1) Don't. Just . . . . don't. 

(2) Yes, you do in fact need someone to come in to cook and clean. No, you cannot handle it yourselves. How do I know? Look at your house.

(3) You've already screwed things up royally multiple times before this. What makes you think this qualifies you to fix those same things?

(4) Driving 20 mph down a busy road marked with a 45 mph speed limit isn't being safe--at least, not for those of us who have to dodge around you like circus employees on unicycles.

(5) [from a vacation home in the Blue Ridge mountains] "Sorry, but I won't be back in the office until at least 2023."

fishbrains

Hey, f*ckface: When working with a significant number of kids you know are adopted or in foster care, don't do a project that requires a baby photo. It's far less harmful to just beat them with an axe handle instead.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford