News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Whose idea was it to play Christmas music?! Too early!

sinenomine

No, fellow department chair — I don't plan on attending the meeting tomorrow that's all about your department's curriculum, which I'm not familiar with. Why would you think I would, or that I could fill you in afterward so you could skip it?
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Vkw10

Quote from: sinenomine on November 15, 2020, 10:52:49 AM
No, fellow department chair — I don't plan on attending the meeting tomorrow that's all about your department's curriculum, which I'm not familiar with. Why would you think I would, or that I could fill you in afterward so you could skip it?
And why don't you have any faculty in your department willing to attend if an emergency prevents you from going? Or don't you trust them to represent department and brief you?
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

FishProf

No fellow department chair, I will NOT take time this weekend to register your students, when you couldn't be bothered to send the list on Thursday as agreed.  Friday at 5:15 may as well be Monday, as the Registrar isn't working this weekend either.

And CCing the Dean won't get the reaction you are hoping for.

Fishprof
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on November 14, 2020, 07:34:17 PM
Whose idea was it to play Christmas music?! Too early!

I'm starting to see lights and Santas in yards here and there, too.

Decades ago Charles Schulz had Charlie Brown complain about how he went to get a Halloween mask, and the store was too busy putting up Christmas decorations.  That was supposed to be amusing hyperbole about early Christmas promotions.  Now it's just the simple reality in some places.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

What I just realized I wish I could say,

"Why, yes, I'd love to book another hostel stay with you guys in Paris for December. The one in 2019 was so great, I'd be glad to return. How good of you to remember that it was right about now that I put in that deposit last year."

I actually still have a lot of materials from that trip that I'm still processing/working from/writing about, so in a way it's good that I won't be going back this year; maybe I'll get some of the backlog dealt with.

But that one birth certificate in London that I missed....

Sigh...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fishbrains

All I said was that Christmas is primarily an economic event for Americans, not a religious one. I wasn't trying to be mean, but I now see a "Merry X-mas" card in your future.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

FishProf

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

evil_physics_witchcraft

the_geneticist

Arggh!  I teach class X.  I've been teaching class X for years.  Stop asking me who teaches it or if [other person] teaches it!  They don't and never have.  We don't even look alike or have similar names.
Grumble.

nonsensical

evil_physics_witchcraft

^
Same.

In addition to that, will everyone please leave me alone, so that I can hide from the world?

AmLitHist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 19, 2020, 11:07:15 AM
^
Same.

In addition to that, will everyone please leave me alone, so that I can get this stupid grading caught up and then hide from the world?