News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Economizer

Madam Secretary,
It has been reported on a local news broadcast this A.M. that the U.S.goverment spending exceeded its GDP (Gross Domestic Product) for last year! WHAT GIVES, HUH?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Puget

Quote from: apl68 on February 11, 2021, 11:17:45 AM
I don't know that I'd want my memoir to be of interest to psychology majors.

I estimate I get at least one email a month from someone who would like me to use their self-published book or documentary about their life in my psychology courses. They seem to think their "journey" will be of great educational value.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

Quote from: teach_write_research on February 11, 2021, 06:08:31 PM
It's almost like he self-published his memoirs and then is finding faculty email addresses on publicly available websites and spamming them. Or exactly like.

Public libraries are sometimes contacted by local/regional authors wanting to sell self-published memoirs and hold book signings.  Our Friends of the Library group got out of holding book signings after several in a row failed to generate enough interest and attendance to be worth the effort.  Mostly they were senior citizens writing about their rural childhoods.  Probably a lot of good material there for a regional oral history project, but not enough to really justify publishing a whole book.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Langue_doc

To the gorilla glue girl--you ain't no girl. What kind of idiot would use gorilla glue instead of hair gel? A 40-year old teacher according to some news reports https://www.yahoo.com/now/gorilla-glue-girl-explained-latest-updates-214504555.html and a daycare provider in others https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/style/tessica-brown-gorilla-glue.html.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 12, 2021, 09:41:47 AM
To the gorilla glue girl--you ain't no girl. What kind of idiot would use gorilla glue instead of hair gel? A 40-year old teacher according to some news reports https://www.yahoo.com/now/gorilla-glue-girl-explained-latest-updates-214504555.html and a daycare provider in others https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/style/tessica-brown-gorilla-glue.html.

Yeah. And after a month, (or even a week) wouldn't she have produced enough sebum or new skin cells to at least shave her head and get that mess off her head?

apl68

[Branch Manager With a Neighboring Library System], you really upset one of my staff on the phone recently.  Just because she's a front-desk worker is no reason to be rude.  I'll let it slide this time, but if it happens again...I'm on a first-name basis with your system boss.  Let's try to be more collegial next time, okay?
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

marshwiggle

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 12, 2021, 09:41:47 AM

I'm just thinking of all the other things in a spray can that could have been even worse:

• oven cleaner
  • insecticide
  • WD-40 (would that stick or unstick?)

The mind boggles.
It takes so little to be above average.

ab_grp

Dad died a full 20 years ago, not recently.  Please clarify for your friends who are unaware.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

I know.

I was trying to be just teeny, weeny bit positive..

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Your problems are  a direct result of refusal to deal with reality.  Period.

The positive attitude part only works if that's how you get up every morning to take actions that logically could fix the situation.

Merely having ideas about how the world could be different is irrelevant.

Merely wanting things to be different is irrelevant.

Being really loud about how things should be different in ways that you want is simply annoying.
and can undermine the goodwill you'll need by people who must make the changes.

Facing reality and doing the hard work of changing what you can, accepting what cannot be changed, and putting a lot of research into finding out the difference would serve you better.

I am out of patience with people who think holding the "correct" viewpoints matters, especially when they then won't lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Unrelated ^

I'm trying to make things easier for both of us to negotiate the new setup. You ignoring the agreements we made to do that, and sending things out over your own name, are not helping.

You were supposed to just edit and return the docs to me to be funneled to the new folks, not send them out yourself. They may not mind, but they might.

I need to finish this out and get paid for the last bits of work left to be done, and I'd like to leave on good terms in case an occasional consultancy is possible. I can't tell if you've just checked out, have lost interest, or are still trying to grandstand somehow.

But whatever it is, stop it. And stop canceling our calls.

This could have possibly been avoided if we'd talked it over just one more time....to reinforce the email and the agreement made in the previous call...ahem.

(I did say some of this, more diplomatically put, in an early AM email, but so far no answer..)

"Soon and very soon...."

M.

the_geneticist

Dear colleague,
I am hoping that you announce your retirement soon. 
I'll even bake you a cake!
I bake really, really good cakes.
The sooner you retire, the sooner you can have tasty cake!
Are you feeling tempted? . . .

mamselle

Quote from: Economizer on February 12, 2021, 05:07:23 AM
Madam Secretary,
It has been reported on a local news broadcast this A.M. that the U.S.goverment spending exceeded its GDP (Gross Domestic Product) for last year! WHAT GIVES, HUH?

According to my Econ 101 undergrad lecturer, that's not a big deal.

Governments, unlike individuals, have that capacity.

And given the past four years' craziness, that is hardly our biggest problem.

M.