News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

I don't blame you in the least for taking your motorcycle out for a spin on a mild day like this.  But for crying out loud, put some pipes on it.  I could still hear you when you must have been halfway to the state line!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

EdnaMode

Dear Colleague,

Thank you for sending me a text that prevented me from making an arse out of myself in a Zoom meeting. You could see where I was going with my questions and it was obvious to you that I had skipped over an email on that very topic.*

All the best,

EM

*actually I did thank him, via text

I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

OneMoreYear

Colleague, I know it's a PITA to develop materials for our adapted competency exams during this time.  However, could you step back a little from your narrow focus and design something that our students are more likely to have significant exposure to during their training so we are actually assessing competency?   

Other Colleague, you are now a Full Professor (belated congrats on your promotion and your new grant).  Now is a good time to flex some of that power and rein this in.

ergative

Quote from: EdnaMode on February 26, 2021, 07:32:45 AM
Dear Colleague,

Thank you for sending me a text that prevented me from making an arse out of myself in a Zoom meeting. You could see where I was going with my questions and it was obvious to you that I had skipped over an email on that very topic.*

All the best,

EM

*actually I did thank him, via text

Hurrah for colleagues that have your back!

hmaria1609

If you're having trouble locating that specific Google Doc I shared with you, this won't be a good start.

ergative

Sending out that decision letter to the author about thirty seconds after I submitted my review makes it super clear that I was the one holding up the process. Well played, editor. Well played. I hang my head in shame.

ab_grp

Ouch, ergative.  Been there!

To restaurant (probably obviously): Can you please keep on top of what foods and meals you are offering?

ETA: And another thing! Do I want to have my office chair delivered between 3/22-3/30 for $385 in shipping? Or between 3/23-3/30 for free? Tough call.

Sorry, I am in a bit of a mood tonight. 

arcturus

Dear graduate student: you are woefully underprepared for this class. I understand that this is not your fault - we were the ones who admitted you to our program, and we knew your background when we did so. However, not handing in half of the homework and earning 25% on the first exam does not bode well for your final grade in this course. You can either buckle down and learn the background material (which is necessary for your eventual success in this field, so you really do need to do this now) or drop this class. Unlike your previous professors, I am not going to make excuses for you. You will receive the grade that you have earned.

Charlotte

Quote from: arcturus on March 03, 2021, 08:39:44 PM
Dear graduate student: you are woefully underprepared for this class. I understand that this is not your fault - we were the ones who admitted you to our program, and we knew your background when we did so. However, not handing in half of the homework and earning 25% on the first exam does not bode well for your final grade in this course. You can either buckle down and learn the background material (which is necessary for your eventual success in this field, so you really do need to do this now) or drop this class. Unlike your previous professors, I am not going to make excuses for you. You will receive the grade that you have earned.

Tough one! Has someone sat down with the student and told them this? They may not know... especially if they are first gen student and unfamiliar with the details of graduate school.

Liquidambar

Do you want me to be grumpy when I grade your homework?  Because if so, keep formatting it like that.  (Yes, I did take an extra point off because it was hard to read.  Next time I'll take off more.)
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

fishbrains

I'm not sure whether or not it is "racist" to say that EOL students without at least a basic level of English proficiency should not be allowed into the credit-bearing co-requisite writing course (students taking Comp. I and developmental writing at the same time, for the uninitiated). However, state law, system policy, College policy, and (at least I think) financial aid policy does clearly state that credit-bearing courses should not remediate below the high-school level.

And, little-goody-two-shoes, this "barrier" is a pretty good way to keep colleges from defrauding students by allowing them into courses we know they will never pass.

This was a disappointing session.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

wareagle

I am not sure how I am supposed to put a positive spin on staff cuts, diminished resources, severe burnout/illness/exhaustion, and second-class status for my staff, but go ahead and enlighten me.   I'm all ears.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

ciao_yall

fishbrains

We can't think "outside the box" if you won't at least take the nails off the lid.

Jeesh.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

apl68

My symptoms were more characteristic of a stomach bug than COVID, but for safety's sake I got my nose swabbed and have been staying away from people.  The preliminary test was negative.  There's every reason to believe the main test results will be as well.  At this point I'm only coming in half days and staying in a closed office on a technicality.  Note that on the rare occasions I have shown my face I've been as dutifully masked as I've been in all my face-to-face interactions for months now.

And you still found it necessary to make another staff member come into my office--when I was not even here--for the two seconds necessary to set that item on my desk?
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all