News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

HR, ignoring my repeated requests for a meeting to discuss how I can start an ADA file for several serious health problems is NOT going to make me go away.  I first contacted you July 19 and sent three emails since giving dates I could meet; you ignored those and a voice mail I left.  I'm going to get the info rolling with my doctors and am getting the union (and hopefully, their lawyer) involved. You'll soon find it would have been much easier to just work with me than to try to wait me out in hopes I'd give up.

(Actually, once I have the paperwork in hand, I'm going to say this, or more likely, have my union do so.)

Side note:  if I'd unwittingly look crossways at an ADA/Access student who hadn't disclosed to me as such, and I'd be crucified and THEN fired.  I'm just a faculty member, though, so I guess that's supposed to make HR's treatment of me OK?

ab_grp

If you want to discount my professional experience and expertise to make some [redacted] happy, be my guest.  My concerns are laid out explicitly in numerous, shareable emails.

fishbrains

Quote from: ab_grp on September 06, 2019, 04:10:13 PM
If you want to discount my professional experience and expertise to make some [redacted] happy, be my guest.  My concerns are laid out explicitly in numerous, shareable emails.

I could have written the same post.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

fishbrains

And, again, that's why kids should wear bicycle helmets . . . all the time, but especially on a downhill gravel biking trails. Sorry, but even when the bleeding is impressive, it's hard to feel bad for really stupid people.

I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

science.expat

Quote from: fishbrains on September 07, 2019, 11:39:56 AM
And, again, that's why kids should wear bicycle helmets . . . all the time, but especially on a downhill gravel biking trails. Sorry, but even when the bleeding is impressive, it's hard to feel bad for really stupid people.

But couldn't you feel sorry for the kid, if not the parents?

fishbrains

Quote from: science.expat on September 07, 2019, 10:07:54 PM
Quote from: fishbrains on September 07, 2019, 11:39:56 AM

But couldn't you feel sorry for the kid, if not the parents?

Yeah, maybe a little.

reener06

Wow, your collective attempts to silence us and/or control our message is truly elaborate and I suppose time-consuming. Look, I know you'll win in the end--you run the joint--but I'm not going down without a fight. I thought y'all knew me better than that.

Also, I'm a bit tired of getting repeatedly screwed over by you all, then having you blame me for what you did. I'm out of here on the first train out of the station that I can be on. I do hope you've figured that much out.

And you all are lousy managers.  Silence and hoping it all goes away is not a good management style. Neither is your other MO--talking it to death until everyone is exhausted and agrees with you, or you think they do.

present_mirth

Dude, you're retired. Before you were retired, you were a science professor. Please shut up about how faculty in the humanities and social sciences are not teaching the history and politics of your country to your liking, especially since "your liking" involves telling students in every class, regardless of its relevance to the course material, how That Other Country is evil and an existential threat to all that is good and democratic in the world. (I say this as someone who happens to agree that the current government of That Other Country is imperialist and anti-democratic and does horrible things, but you seem to make no distinction between the government and the people and culture, which makes you ... no better than them. Besides, I'm pretty sure you would have a problem with it if the history and government faculty went over to your building and started telling science faculty how to teach YOUR subject, so what makes you qualified to tell them how to teach theirs?)

statsgeek

To the lady in the giant white thing:  We all know this parking lot is a mess.  I'm not going to take your space.  But seriously, what did you expect me to do - wait in the middle of the street?  Honking and gesturing at me were not necessary. 

ab_grp

I guess we're now going to have to anticipate "Flip a f'ng fit Fridays." How the f did you ever get to that position level?!

[Sorry, I am too tired to find an f word that means throw to make an alliterative phrase, so I just looked it up a chose one for now.  Feel free to make suggestions. On the other hand, I think I have used an impression number of variations of the f word today, privately. That lends itself to creativity.]

al_wallace

Yes, if you refer to the email I sent three years ago, you'll discover that I gave exactly the same advice to you as the consultant you just paid 150K to tell you.

FishProf

[Unrelated]

The way you handled this crisis (of your own making) reminds me of the question I asked when you were hired.

"How in the hell did you get this job"?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Anselm

Quote from: al_wallace on September 16, 2019, 12:48:07 PM
Yes, if you refer to the email I sent three years ago, you'll discover that I gave exactly the same advice to you as the consultant you just paid 150K to tell you.

How can the rest of us get in on that racket?
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

wareagle

I've been wondering the same thing for years.

I'm betting Al_Wallace's uni and mine hired the same group.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

ergative

What I wished I could say:

"Look, dude, your research proposal was incomprehensible, stacked so full of jargony flowery language and so lacking in any actual content, research, ideas, or substance, that I don't want anything to do with you. When I rejected your request to be my student, I simply grabbed the first semi-lucid term you mentioned that I lack expertise in, and used that as an excuse, because it seemed kinder than to tell you that your writing and ideas suck. The correct response is not to send me another email mansplaining my own research interests to me and telling me to read your research proposal more closely. I don't want to read it more closely. It was bad. And even if it weren't, if this is how you respond to rejection, I don't want to work with you. Go away."

But deleting your email was reasonably satisfying too.