News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Appropriate response to rioting

Started by marshwiggle, January 08, 2021, 06:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-supporters-arrested-unhinged-as-placed-on-no-fly-list/ar-BB1cEUr9?li=BBnb7Kz

As the capital invaders are identified, it seems that they are being placed on the No Fly list!!

Good luck walking home!!  Im sure that there will be plenty of folks willing to pick up bearded, Q shirted, red hat wearing 'patriots' carrying zipties. 

(except that, unfortunately, there probably ARE plenty who would pick them up!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Descartes

Quote from: clean on January 11, 2021, 10:46:37 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-supporters-arrested-unhinged-as-placed-on-no-fly-list/ar-BB1cEUr9?li=BBnb7Kz

As the capital invaders are identified, it seems that they are being placed on the No Fly list!!

Good luck walking home!!  Im sure that there will be plenty of folks willing to pick up bearded, Q shirted, red hat wearing 'patriots' carrying zipties. 

(except that, unfortunately, there probably ARE plenty who would pick them up!)

Funny thing: when people get convicted of other serious felonies, even violent ones, there is a hue and cry from the left that "their only punishment should be whatever the court gives them; when their sentence is done it's done!" (see "ban the box," et al)  The reasoning often given when pressed is that this is not only for their good but the good of society (i.e., is it good for society that they now can't get a job or find housing?  They'll now turn to more crime, etc.)

Yet it seems that when the crime is supporting Trump (crime meaning literally, as in the criminal actions at the capital or crime in the figurative sense, such as working for this administration) there is no limit to the severity of the life long consequences these people should face; put them on the no-fly list, make them walk home, make it so they can never hold a job again, drive them out of their neighborhoods, etc.

If only these people had walked up to someone on the street and shoved a gun to their head, stole their money, and then slammed them to the ground.  In that case, we would hear that they should be forgiven and their crime perhaps even expunged after serving a requisite sentence (probation, of course, because not everyone needs to get locked up!)

The left is hypocritical; but we knew that.

clean

QuoteYet it seems that when the crime is supporting Trump (crime meaning literally, as in the criminal actions at the capital or crime in the figurative sense, such as working for this administration) there is no limit to the severity of the life long consequences these people should face; put them on the no-fly list, make them walk home, make it so they can never hold a job again, drive them out of their neighborhoods, etc.

hmmm.... As a Republican (at least before the last election when I considered myself an Independent), the bolded parts are pretty much the Republican party line! 
So WHY is it that when the 'crime' is viewed as supporting a Republican THROUGH a violent invasion of the Capitol leading to the DEATH OF A POLICEMAN that there is push back?

ergative

One might also suggest that there is a distinct degree of difference in severity between a mugging and attempting a violent overthrow of a government.

Descartes

To respond to both of you:  Those who actively participated in the attack on the police officer that led to his death are not merely thugs;  they are savage animals and should be put down as such (unfortunately I think Biden has signaled that he will end the federal death penalty, so no luck for justice.)

I'm also not convinced that all or even most of the people - even those who breached the capital - were there to overthrow the government.  To be fair, I also don't think many of the people that took part in BLM riots had that intention either, including ones who maybe followed the crowd and walked through Target after the windows were smashed out but didn't take anything themselves, or who said "eh screw it" and picked up one item that they saw and walked out with it because everyone else was doing it too.

In the case of the BLM riots - as is the case here - I think that if you are going to address it after the fact, you need to look at who actually organized it and who actually began the violence.   Those are the people who as far as I'm concerned should be given life sentences.  I wouldn't cry if they'd have been shot, but we all know that doesn't usually happen and probably isn't even legal given current laws in most situations.

My comments in the previous post were directed towards the people proclaiming that anyone "enabling" Trump - forget about the capital breach - should never work again, and never be able to do anything in public again.  Before you say "No one is saying that," people are.  Forbes has already said that if any company ever hires anyone who worked for this administration, Forbes will consider the company illegitimate, assume they are committing fraud, and not believe anything they say. 

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Kron3007

Quote from: Descartes on January 11, 2021, 12:17:04 PM
To respond to both of you:  Those who actively participated in the attack on the police officer that led to his death are not merely thugs;  they are savage animals and should be put down as such (unfortunately I think Biden has signaled that he will end the federal death penalty, so no luck for justice.)

I'm also not convinced that all or even most of the people - even those who breached the capital - were there to overthrow the government.  To be fair, I also don't think many of the people that took part in BLM riots had that intention either, including ones who maybe followed the crowd and walked through Target after the windows were smashed out but didn't take anything themselves, or who said "eh screw it" and picked up one item that they saw and walked out with it because everyone else was doing it too.

In the case of the BLM riots - as is the case here - I think that if you are going to address it after the fact, you need to look at who actually organized it and who actually began the violence.   Those are the people who as far as I'm concerned should be given life sentences.  I wouldn't cry if they'd have been shot, but we all know that doesn't usually happen and probably isn't even legal given current laws in most situations.

My comments in the previous post were directed towards the people proclaiming that anyone "enabling" Trump - forget about the capital breach - should never work again, and never be able to do anything in public again.  Before you say "No one is saying that," people are.  Forbes has already said that if any company ever hires anyone who worked for this administration, Forbes will consider the company illegitimate, assume they are committing fraud, and not believe anything they say.

Well, if you take the view that people enabling trump in recent days were actively trying to over ride a fair and free election, do you not consider that treasonous?  What is the punishment for treason?

Now, you may not agree that this was the case, but if you did believe that I assume you would demand for harsh punishment no?

clean

QuoteMy comments in the previous post were directed towards the people proclaiming that anyone "enabling" Trump - forget about the capital breach - should never work again, and never be able to do anything in public again.  Before you say "No one is saying that," people are.  Forbes has already said that if any company ever hires anyone who worked for this administration, Forbes will consider the company illegitimate, assume they are committing fraud, and not believe anything they say.

From my viewing of the news on this, what Forbes has said is that IF you choose to hire these people, that Forbes will not donate money to that organization.  That is a far cry from Forbes indicates that these people should never work again. 

IF these people have a following, then there will be plenty of places that WILL hire them.  IF Sarah H. Sanders or Kelley Ann Conway  have a following and are able to raise money/attract contributions from people/places other than Forbes, then they WILL certainly find jobs.  They simply should not bother to ask Forbes for money! 

spork

More response to rioting: at least ten Capitol Police officers are under investigation for their inaction during the riot and another two are already suspended for cavorting with the mob while on duty. At least two Seattle police officers who were in DC during the riot are now on administrative leave and under investigation. A Philadelphia police detective is being investigated. I could go on, but won't.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Sun_Worshiper

We're at an interesting place when conservatives have decided that Forbes is the left

mahagonny

Quote from: Descartes on January 11, 2021, 11:29:00 AM

As I'm watching television I have the choice between Trump making another of his many in-your-face-lies that 'everyone looked over my speech and agreed I am blameless,' and then a show called 'The Real' where they are ranting about how no one let anyone from BLM have their chance to assemble and protest. I guess they've only got a few days left to rant about that before inauguration day and a fortress of law enforcement (as everyone knows we will have). Where's the voice from the middle? Does the lady whose home was invaded by Floyd get a turn at demonstrating?

apl68

Richard Barnett, the man who posted selfies of himself in the Speaker's office, was arrested on Friday:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/man-arrested-illegally-entering-office-speaker-house

According to state news reports, the Arkansas Patriots organization says that he is not a member of theirs--he attended a rally with them once, but was told to leave when he insulted a BLM counter protestor.  And the latest news from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette is that he could be facing up to 10 years on Federal charges.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on January 12, 2021, 10:26:46 AM

As I'm watching television I have the choice between Trump making another of his many in-your-face-lies that 'everyone looked over my speech and agreed I am blameless,' and then a show called 'The Real' where they are ranting about how no one let anyone from BLM have their chance to assemble and protest. I guess they've only got a few days left to rant about that before inauguration day and a fortress of law enforcement (as everyone knows we will have). Where's the voice from the middle? Does the lady whose home was invaded by Floyd get a turn at demonstrating?

Joe Biden, the Democratic President-Elect.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 12, 2021, 05:24:08 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on January 12, 2021, 10:26:46 AM

Joe Biden, the Democratic President-Elect.

Did Biden ever publicly denounce rioters this summer, and indicate that they should be arrested and charged? If not, then he's not the voice from the "middle".
It takes so little to be above average.

waterboy

"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."