News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Probationary Members

Started by aside, May 28, 2019, 07:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aside

So now we're on probation?  Best mind our Ps and Qs.

aside

Once I posted the above, I went back to New Member status.  Interesting.

Post here and remove yourself from probation?!

Parasaurolophus

It's a measure we're testing to impede spam.

The idea is that members have the 'probationary' status until they post for the first time, at which point they get 'new member' status. Probationary members will need mod/admin approval for their first post (once we implement the restriction). So the idea is just that a spammer will be caught before they have a chance to flood the board, and mods will only have to deal with a single post. For the time being, however, everyone needs to get sorted into the right membership categories. The system will update everyone once you've posted. So if you're currently looking probationary, but have posted, you'll get updated once you've posted again. Does that make sense?

It's not firm or anything yet, it's just a tactic to be tested.
I know it's a genus.

aside

Thanks for the explanation.  Anything that reduces spam while not requiring all of us to jump through hoops each time we post should be appreciated!

eigen

Yeah, the software is funny in that you can't add a new "lowest" post count category. Also, post count based memberships only update when a user posts something.

So right now, probationary is set to anyone with no posts, and the first post moves you to new member. Right now there's no difference in permissions between those, but once most of our current member population has posted at least once, we had the idea of moving from giving permission at registration to admin approval of the first post.

Approval of new members has been easy with mostly recognizable names so far, but once we get through the move it's hard to tell new members from spam- but the first post is usually a dead giveaway.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

hungry_ghost

So can I get off probation now?

Thursday's_Child

Yay - I'm not on probation any more!  If only I could think of some havoc to wreak...

RatGuy

I wonder if singing Monty Python's "Spam" will be enough to reinstate posting privileges.

Cheerful

Fourth post.  Posted three times prior to this and am listed as probationary.

Does my probation officer now agree to let me be free, please?

ETA:  New Member!  Thank you!  "Yeah, I'm Free!  Free Fallin'..."

science.expat

Not sure if I need to post to become a non probationary member

rabrick

Let's see if this drops my probationary status

zyzzx

Quote from: rabrick on June 02, 2019, 10:13:16 AM

I will also give it a try. Not sure I like the feeling of being on probation!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: zyzzx on June 02, 2019, 02:32:20 PM
Quote from: rabrick on June 02, 2019, 10:13:16 AM

I will also give it a try. Not sure I like the feeling of being on probation!

It's only the most fleeting of feelings!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

If it screens out spam and keeps me from peering at grainy pictures of bicycles, it's worth it....a limnal moment can be an interesting experience...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hibush

According to a forum post, CHE will start sending people and bots here by the end of the month. We'll see how this system holds up.