Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on October 16, 2020, 09:34:01 AM
I bought 150 pounds of rice today.

Nice. How do you store it? I know you mentioned that you consume it daily. I also forgot to calculate how long it would last.

spork

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 16, 2020, 10:07:24 AM

Nice. How do you store it? I know you mentioned that you consume it daily. I also forgot to calculate how long it would last.

This will last me well into the new year, maybe through February. The wifey has a flight out of the country booked for early December. If she's allowed to board the flight, it will just be me at home for the rest of the winter.

I just leave it in the bags. The air will be cool and dry and the house is relatively free of bugs.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on October 16, 2020, 10:26:19 AM

This will last me well into the new year, maybe through February. The wifey has a flight out of the country booked for early December. If she's allowed to board the flight, it will just be me at home for the rest of the winter.

I just leave it in the bags. The air will be cool and dry and the house is relatively free of bugs.

Out of curiousity, what sort of dishes/meals do you make with it?

spork

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 16, 2020, 08:19:10 PM

It's my main carbohydrate. I'll eat a mound of it with the omelette I'm making for breakfast. Tonight's dinner it will be served with a tofu, broccoli, green onion, ginger, and chili stir fry.

I also bought another cubic yard of toilet paper rolls. I'll be buying more canisters of oatmeal next.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on October 17, 2020, 02:26:04 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 16, 2020, 08:19:10 PM

It's my main carbohydrate. I'll eat a mound of it with the omelette I'm making for breakfast. Tonight's dinner it will be served with a tofu, broccoli, green onion, ginger, and chili stir fry.

I also bought another cubic yard of toilet paper rolls. I'll be buying more canisters of oatmeal next.

Ok. A yard is 3 ft, so a cubic yard is 27 ft3. That's a good deal of TP. Not judging, just wondering how long that will last. I suppose it depends on the number of rolls (you could calculate this and make it a packing problem), number of people using, frequency of use, number of sheets used per wipe, etc.

What a great Fermi problem!

I wonder what the mass of that TP is. Almost like a 'how-many-jellybeans-in-the-jar' contest.

spork

Calculation error on my part, for which I still blame the stupid practice in elementary school of "let's convert everything between English and metric systems." It's actually about 0.45 cubic yard. 128 rolls.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on October 17, 2020, 12:03:05 PM
Calculation error on my part, for which I still blame the stupid practice in elementary school of "let's convert everything between English and metric systems." It's actually about 0.45 cubic yard. 128 rolls.

Ah. Ok. Still a large quantity, but it's not as if TP goes 'bad.'

spork

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 17, 2020, 12:06:10 PM
Quote from: spork on October 17, 2020, 12:03:05 PM

Ah. Ok. Still a large quantity, but it's not as if TP goes 'bad.'

I have a mostly empty basement, so plenty of room to store things. One of the benefits of Mari Kondo-ing the house during the pandemic.

clean

IF one buys 150 pounds of rice, then one will NEED 128 rolls of TP for the resulting 'paperwork'. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on October 17, 2020, 01:53:22 PM
IF one buys 150 pounds of rice, then one will NEED 128 rolls of TP for the resulting 'paperwork'.

Funny. I need to see your calculations.

clean

Quote128 rolls.

Im sure that you didnt stock up on "John Wayne TP"
It's Rough and Tough and wont take shit off of anybody!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

sprout

Quote from: clean on October 17, 2020, 05:04:26 PM
Quote128 rolls.

Im sure that you didnt stock up on "John Wayne TP"
It's Rough and Tough and wont take shit off of anybody!!

That does not sound very useful...

apl68

The staff member who has been keeping an eye out for disinfectant spray locally has finally succeeded!  We now have some that we can use until our wholesaler is finally able to honor its promised shipment to us.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

spork

On this week's shopping list: enough canola and olive oil to get me through the winter.

3M N95 masks still unavailable.

spork

Now have my supply of vegetable oil, along with ten cans of pumpkin and plenty of oatmeal. I have a special order of a crate of canned cat food waiting for pick up at Tractor Supply Co. Got to have food for the cats too.