News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

I did not get a space in this morning's yoga class. So I have 7 WW Activity Points to make up somewhere.

You?

evil_physics_witchcraft

We picked up one car from the mechanic, spent half a grand and dropped another one off. I suppose we're supporting the local economy. Still.... I'm trying to count pennies over here.

ergative

I made a cake this weekend. It was fine, but it's enormous (9x13" sheet pan for two people, good grief, I should have halved the recipe the way I originally planned), and I don't think we can eat it all before (a) we get sick of it, or (b) it goes stale. I don't know if the icing will freeze well, or I'd have frozen half of it already. What to do?

ohnoes

My local grocery store doesn't always have fat free half and half.  I won't even ask about it because a) it's such a first world problem and 2) pandemic.

In the privacy of my home (and now the Internet), there are Coffee Lamentations.

Ruralguy

I guess if you feel bad that you didn't get your cat a birthday present would be the granddaddy of first world problems.

apl68

I hired somebody to mow my yard (Which I've only done once before).  They only mowed the front half of it.  I really thought the deal was to take care of the whole thing?
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

Quote from: ergative on April 06, 2021, 05:30:31 AM
I made a cake this weekend. It was fine, but it's enormous (9x13" sheet pan for two people, good grief, I should have halved the recipe the way I originally planned), and I don't think we can eat it all before (a) we get sick of it, or (b) it goes stale. I don't know if the icing will freeze well, or I'd have frozen half of it already. What to do?

It should be ok, just freeze it in separate pieces (easier to pack into the icebox if yours is as packed as mine is--another 1st world problem...). I'd wrap well with clingy plastic wrap--just remember to remove that, and put it in a closed paper bag before you microwave it briefly to defrost...so the cake will not go dry. (yet another 1st world complaint).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Anselm

I have noticed that many familiar websites have reduced their functionality. 

Examples:

Youtube no longer gives a graph of how view count has changed over time.

Amazon used to allow me to search through my shopping lists to see if an item was already in my lists but this is no longer the case.

FamilyTreeDNA used to allow me to enter the name of an ancestor and then give back all of the members who claim that same ancestor.  This feature was taken away a few years ago.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I got a call from the mechanic that we will be out another half grand on my car. Both of our cars are 20+ years old. I know... Well, this is where part of my stimulus check is going. Unfortunately, they didn't notice the overheating issue in my car, which could be a sensor about to go out. We checked the relays, fuses, flow, etc. Fans work now. Maybe a wire is loose?

mamselle

I gave up on owning a car after I realized that every time I brought it in for one thing, I'd get a call that there was also something else wrong that would bring the total up to about twice what they'd quoted.

I figured they looked for stuff, and if there wasn't anything wrong, they messed it up or made it up.

Haven't owned a car since...hmm....1984, I think?

Doin' just fine, thanks...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on April 06, 2021, 12:48:09 PM
I gave up on owning a car after I realized that every time I brought it in for one thing, I'd get a call that there was also something else wrong that would bring the total up to about twice what they'd quoted.

I figured they looked for stuff, and if there wasn't anything wrong, they messed it up or made it up.

M.

I wish I could get by without having one, but I am over 20 miles from campus. SO and I tend to do a lot of repairs ourselves. This is the first time I've brought my car in about 3 years. We actually changed the radiator out in my car a few years ago!

eigen

Buying a house sucks, especially in this market.

Also, ditto old-car-maintenance woes. But also, no way to do without them. I used to do a lot of my own repairs, but... I just don't have the time relative to the savings anymore to either keep up with things or actually do the repairs.

More and more in my life I'm moving from trying to do everything myself to relying on experts so I can spend my time working in the areas I truly enjoy or am truly an expert in.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

kaysixteen

Diabetic retinopathy, which, like it or not, for a type II diabetic (not for a type I) is a first world problem.   I need to eat less, and, well... ahem.... you know.   I got a wake up call last night, a flare up a mere six weeks after a comprehesive exam where I was told I would be good to go for a year.   Got the steroid injection today, doc actually thinks it is not as bad as I first feared, but will need another shot in two months.  So much for a year.

lightning

Quote from: mamselle on April 06, 2021, 12:48:09 PM

M.

You have to find an honest and competent mechanic. They are rare. As soon as you find one, be super super nice to them. An honest and competent auto mechanic can save you thousands of dollars over the lifetime of your car--tens of thousands if you take all your cars to them.

lightning

I ran out of bottled water, so now I have to drink tap water. Isn't that the same water that is used in the toilet?