Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on July 12, 2020, 01:21:06 PM
I've caved.

Curried chicken, pseudo-papadam, and saag palak in the oven now...

It's ok, I'll get at least 3 meals from them.

Ok, NOW...back to work.

M.

Yum. Yum. Yum.

I just made some iced green tea with ginger and mint. I almost always use fresh ginger 'root' and fresh mint. It makes such a difference!

mamselle

Another yummy ginger additive is the shaved pickled ginger they sell to go with sushi.

I've used that to spice up a turkey sandwich, chopped fine in curries, or on a spinach salad, too.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Oops, that was saag aloo....I used half the potatoes for the curry and the other half in the spinach....

Anyway, it was good.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

I'm making a pesto pizza with basil and tomatoes from the garden-- it is one of my favorite summer things.

Just finished making zucchini bread muffins (which didn't put much of a dent in my growing zucchini over-supply*, but are delicious) and ate one with lemon curd. So I guess I already ate dessert but I may have another after dinner anyway.

I probably shouldn't have planted 3 plants, but you never know if they're all going to make it. I did manage to slip a large one to the neighbors today along with some tomatoes and peas, and got a cucumber in return.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

lightning

Quote from: Puget on July 12, 2020, 04:00:30 PM
I'm making a pesto pizza with basil and tomatoes from the garden-- it is one of my favorite summer things.

Just finished making zucchini bread muffins (which didn't put much of a dent in my growing zucchini over-supply*, but are delicious) and ate one with lemon curd. So I guess I already ate dessert but I may have another after dinner anyway.

I probably shouldn't have planted 3 plants, but you never know if they're all going to make it. I did manage to slip a large one to the neighbors today along with some tomatoes and peas, and got a cucumber in return.

I also have fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden, but I was just going to make sandwiches with them. Do you make your own pizza bread or do you buy it? If you buy it, any suggestions?

Puget

Quote from: lightning on July 12, 2020, 04:08:01 PM
Quote from: Puget on July 12, 2020, 04:00:30 PM

I also have fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden, but I was just going to make sandwiches with them. Do you make your own pizza bread or do you buy it? If you buy it, any suggestions?

I make it-- pizza dough is dead easy to make and doesn't take long since you don't have to let it rise as much as bread dough. I have a bread machine which makes it even easier. I usually use part white and part whole wheat flour.

I think a lot of grocery stores have refrigerated balls of dough though that are probably fine-- I'm sure they'd be better than a pre-baked crust. 

Nothing wrong with grilled cheese with tomato and basil on good bread though. . .
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Stockmann

Quote from: ab_grp on July 12, 2020, 10:54:55 AM
Quote from: Stockmann on July 10, 2020, 05:08:09 PM
@ab_grp: Thanks! We're no longer eating out because of the pandemic, and also we have groceries delivered every ten days or so, so we've gotten more creative about using leftovers and doing without one or teo specific ingredients.
About the egg-fried rice, I just pour the three oils on the pan, and fry. I use the same pan for the shrimp or chicken, the beaten eggs and the rice + vegetables, just adding more of all the oils each time but frying each thing separately.

We also get our groceries delivered and try to be flexible given that it can be hit or miss! Creative use of leftovers is definitely a plus, especially these days. 

In our case, it also helps that the time I used to spend commuting I'm now spending cooking, and also not eating out frees up money for more interesting groceries.

QuoteThanks for the tip about the oils and the cooking! The fried rice really sounds so good.  I was wondering what kind of chili paste you used. 

I used a Mexican chipotle paste. I've used other types of chilli in the past, though. When I've made it with chicken, I add a bit of orange flavoring to the chicken. Speaking of Mexican food, today we had basically Mexican-English fusion cuisine: fish and chips (for the batter: 1 cup of flour, 2/3 cup of dark beer, 1 tsp of baking powder, pinch of salt, garlic powder and white pepper - for the frying, vegetable oil with a dash of olive oil) with, instead of salt and vinegar, lime juice and hot sauce. Washed it down with margaritas.

Quote from: Puget on July 12, 2020, 04:15:18 PM
Quote from: lightning on July 12, 2020, 04:08:01 PM

I make it-- pizza dough is dead easy to make and doesn't take long since you don't have to let it rise as much as bread dough. I have a bread machine which makes it even easier. I usually use part white and part whole wheat flour.

Some weeks ago we cheated and made pizza dough with baking powder instead of yeast so we didn't have to wait for it to rise.

darkstarrynight

Edible cookie dough recipe (can be made dairy free and probably gluten free too)

Ingredients
6 ounces unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups brown sugar loosely packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk - any type
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
whatever mix-ins you like (e.g., chocolate chips, sprinkles)

Directions
Sift together flour and salt in a bowl.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth (no lumps).
Whisk in milk until combined, then whisk in vanilla extract.
Slowly add in the flour mixture a little at a time, mixing ingredients with a rubber spatula until combined.
Fold in mix-ins of your choice.
Keeps in the refrigerator up to three weeks or you can freeze to put in ice cream later/have a stash that lasts longer.

mamselle

Ohhh, boy.

I have most of a bag of dark chocolate chips left.

Wonder what's going to happen to them tomorrow?

Hmmmm.....

M.

sprout

Home-made Impossible burgers for dinner last night.  They turned out amazingly well!  Spouse, who doesn't eat beef but sometimes misses hamburgers, was really really pleased.  We just flattened the "meat" into a few patties, sprinkled on some seasoning salt and onion salt, then a few minutes each side on the grill. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: sprout on July 13, 2020, 10:30:34 AM
Home-made Impossible burgers for dinner last night.  They turned out amazingly well!  Spouse, who doesn't eat beef but sometimes misses hamburgers, was really really pleased.  We just flattened the "meat" into a few patties, sprinkled on some seasoning salt and onion salt, then a few minutes each side on the grill.

We tried these and found they were pretty good too!

ab_grp

We made Thai garlic chicken last night with jasmine rice and broccoli.  Always yummy! We have a couple dishes in the queue, but I'm not sure which one will come up tonight.  We will be making a pizza to eat tomorrow night since spouse will need to go into the office and we need something easy afterward.  Dough is made and in the fridge, and he's getting the mushrooms and shallots going shortly.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Beverage = a Coke

Main Course = beef curry with corn and carrots (forgot the peas)

Dessert = a brownie (not the creature)

Vkw10

Pantry Pasta Salad

Cook pasta. (whole wheat elbow macaroni)
Prepare diced/chopped vegetables. (frozen peas and carrots, cooked in microwave)
Put plain Greek yogurt in bowl. (about a quarter cup per serving of pasta)
Stir herbs and spices into yogurt. (adobo and cayenne)
Stir in cooked protein. (canned tuna)
Drain pasta and vegetables. Add to yogurt mixture and toss to coat.
Serve and eat warm. Chill leftovers and eat cold for lunch.

Today's ingredients are listed, but I use whatever's handy in pantry and freezer. Broccoli and ham with French herbs, Italian seasoning with canned tomatoes and celery, shredded zucchini and carrots with chopped eggs and mint, sliced  olives and the last roasted red pepper in jar with parsley. Like quiche, pasta salad is handy for using up leftovers.

Dessert? Plums or other fruit
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

paultuttle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 18, 2020, 08:03:44 PM
Beverage = a Coke

Main Course = beef curry with corn and carrots (forgot the peas)

Dessert = a brownie (not the creature)

Ha! I love that you were so careful to put in that qualifying phrase! <big grin>

I was in the third grade and reading The Hobbit before I realized the multiple meanings of words could very much change the story.

Example: "[Bilbo] . . . stuck one thumb behind his braces . . . . "

One year prior, my parents had started paying for orthodontia on my just-entering adult teeth, so I associated "braces" with lots of shiny metal attached to a person's teeth. I wondered for quite some time why Bilbo had stuck one thumb behind his braces (seeing them, in my mind, as the metal in his mouth).

Was it like a Shakespearean insult--like biting one's thumb at someone? I didn't know. But I had this mental image of Bilbo sticking that hobbit-sized thumb in his mouth, behind his front teeth. "Huh," I thought, and finally moved on. (I was seven. I knew already that it typically wasn't in the cards for me to know everything about something immediately upon encountering it. Suspending my disbelief or my need to know was SOP.)

A few months went by before I learned that British "braces" = United States "suspenders" (the belt alternative). In my mental image, that thumb moved to the upper chest in a hurry, let me tell you! All Became Clear. <big grin>

____

Back to the thread:

Chicken teriyaki
Steamed rice with vegetables
Salad tossed with olive oil and black pepper

Dessert: White chocolate and raspberry ice cream (quite likely) or butter pecan ice cream (less likely)