News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: mamselle on November 04, 2019, 09:22:53 AM
Leftover lamb tikka masala--very hot, given I requested "mild," but tasty, with poori.

M.

Oh, yum!! I love tikka masala.  Today is the annual Diwali luncheon, which I will miss, but the menu is making me drool.  I wish we had good foods like that out here.  We made a chicken tikka masala a while ago that was very good, but I can't find the recipe.  The one we tried the second time was apparently not it. 

mamselle

One place where I worked as an EA, my boss and half the staff were East Indian (mostly southeast and south central) and the rest were Russian Jews, Greek Orthodox, American sort-of or specifically Christian...or Jewish, or Muslim, or....everything.

Around this time of year, we'd take advantage of every single festival we could--we would have a "Winter Lights" party (Channukah, Diwali) earlier and a later Kwanzaa/Christmas/Greek Orthodox celebration...Chinese New Year as appropriate, and anything anyone else wanted to have included.

Part of my job was coordinating the food....(yes, all--or nearly all--of it made it to the table--of course, I did have several clean forks with which to discreetly taste-test a few really good dishes...)..

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Economizer

Bachelor Dinner 2020 v.001

Omeletta Totinos alla Dorsalla

Ingredients:  1 Tortinos combination pizza (about $1.25)
                   3 large eggs (say $.20 ea.)
                    a pat of margarine.
                    perhaps a fast food side salad ($1.30) would be nice
                    1 small jar of a Smuckers jam, jelly, preserve, or fruit topping/confiture (about $2.25)

Preparation: a. bake pizza in oven preheated to 450 degrees per specified instructions on pkg.
                   b. scramble 3 eggs in coated [with margarine pat] frying pan until the eggs seem to be getting firm
                   c. remove baked pizza from oven a place on a clean plate and cut into 4, 2 1/2 inch squares [approximate]
                   d. top the baked pizza squares with the eggs or (your choice of flavor or consistancy) Smuckers fruit topping
                   e. ENJOY

Beverage: Coffee, Tea, and/or Fruit Juice

CAUTION: It might be best if you have some sort of anti-acid available for afterwards

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

Bachelor Dinner 2020 v.002

Doubly Doable on the Double Beef and BBQ Sauce Dinner with Vegetables

Getting Ready:  Buy a 7 oz. Tub of Sliced "Deli" style" Beef ( I chose Hillshire Farms brand)
                        Buy a, about 12 oz package of frozen, Asian style, mixed veggies (I chose Birdseye's w/water chesnuts, carrots, sugar snap beans, and more)
                        Buy some BBQ sauce if you don't already have some (I prefer Kraft Original)
                        Toast, then butter, some kind of Bread

Then:                Microwave the veggies (about 5 minutes)
                        Put beef in sauce pan, cover it with BBQ sauce, and heat it
                        Plate the Beef and the cooked vegetables [dust those with Parmesan cheese]
                        Put bread in or on a side dish

Serve with beverage of your choice (BBQ suggests Iced Tea to me)

Note:  There is enough for two or a mini-feast for one
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

backatit

Fish tacos and the best jamaican banana (well, plantain) dessert I've ever had. Plaintain rolled up in a tortilla and fried, topped with a dollop of vanilla ice cream...

mamselle

Envy....or would that be jealousy? (Interthreadual reflection...)

Did I already write about the warm spinach salad with onion nuts, and a dressing made of slightly heated creme fraiche with Gorgonzola mixed in that I had in France just two weeks ago???

In any case, I had to get Gorgonzola in preparation for making it (the creme fraiche is proving hard to find!) Once home.

And of course, there's 'way too much G. for the recipe, so I've been using it on other things.

Like melted over a sous-vide egg sandwich with maple bacon.

Yummmmmm.......

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

Backatit, do you know if the plantain was cooked before being fried in the tortilla?  I'm trying to imagine if it would be adequately cooked otherwise.  Also, flour or corn tortilla?

Mamselle, what are onion nuts, please?

mamselle

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on January 12, 2020, 07:56:29 AM
Backatit, do you know if the plantain was cooked before being fried in the tortilla?  I'm trying to imagine if it would be adequately cooked otherwise.  Also, flour or corn tortilla?

Arrgh! Blasted autocorrect!!!!

I missed that one (caught three others....). 《Pinon nuts》 was what I typed.

Guess the folks creating the spell-check database don't have a very highly developed palate....

M.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: mamselle on January 12, 2020, 08:06:27 AM

Arrgh! Blasted autocorrect!!!!

I missed that one (caught three others....). 《Pinon nuts》 was what I typed.

Guess the folks creating the spell-check database don't have a very highly developed palate....

M.

Thank you!  I was enjoying imagining such a salad with oven-crisped onions, but couldn't think how to call them 'nuts' b/c they're too sticky-chewy.

My recipe for them, BTW, is to thinly slice several onions, toss with a little EVOO in a cast-iron skillet, add a lid and slowly sweat them until limp, then remove lid and bake for a few hours in a slow (250 or 275) oven, stirring regularly once they start to brown so they don't burn.  They're done when quite brown and mostly dry.  Don't try this unless you want the house to smell of cooking onions...

backatit

It must have been baked for quite a while before being fried, as it was soft. And flour tortilla, I think. There was some cinnamon involved as well.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: backatit on January 12, 2020, 09:03:09 AM

It must have been baked for quite a while before being fried, as it was soft. And flour tortilla, I think. There was some cinnamon involved as well.

Thank you!  I occasionally crave plantains but don't crave any of my usual recipes.

mamselle

Just now made chicken curry.

Hand-rubbed black pepper (a lot if you like it spicier), as well as the curry, heated in oil or butter (ghee if you have some) until it bubbles a bit; add the meat, brown it, then add peas, potatoes; small squares of yellow, red, and/or green peppers; carrots, tomato, and (my secret ingredient) some cubes of pineapple.

I used to add cream, some use yogurt, for the sauce after that, but I can't do those anymore, so just use some of the pineapple juice and a tiny bit of water.

Cook long and slow, add the rice, or have it on the side (I blend the two to have a take 'n' heat meal for lunches in the week upcoming). I've done na'an or other breads before as a go-with but it works on its own, too.

M.

mamselle

Where is everyone?

You must be eating!

So...new, easy favorite...standing up to cook on crutches being wildly overrated...

Two slices sesame sourdough (scali) bread.
Mayo
Two long/large fingers of crabmeat.
Mayo
Spinach
More mayo

Tasty, quick...yum!

M.

ab_grp

Sounds like an interesting sandwich, Mamselle! I am particularly into the crabmeat.  I hope you're off crutches sooner rather than later.  Thanks for bumping the thread!

We've made a couple good dishes recently, but I think they're mostly ones we've made before.  We had some pork in the freezer for char siu, so we made that and then used it in fried rice and then lo mein.  I still haven't found the lo mein recipe of my dreams, but it was pretty good.  We also made elote and a flank steak with chimichurri, and pork with balsamic glaze, and pizza.  Tonight is, again, our go-to homemade pizza.  It has become a new ritual to make pizza every other Friday (which reminds me, I have to make the sauce, which is easy) and eat the leftovers Saturday, both while watching movies that one or both of us have not seen.  I think tonight's showing is Kung Fu Hustle, which I have not seen but spouse says is hilarious.  We are making caramelized shallots and mushrooms (portobello/some shiitake, but the latter are very flavorful, and we love them in general but haven't tried them yet as a pizza topping so being cautious) for the pizza topping with fresh mozz, shredded mozz, and grated parmesan on top after it's baked.  This week has been really stressful, so I'm definitely looking forward to it, though it's also been early mornings, so I'm not sure how long I will be able to stay awake! In any case,the sauce is enough for 2-3 pizzas, so we make another one later on in the week.

We haven't really done meal planning for the week yet, so I'm not sure what else we will make, other than (probably) strip steak and elote tomorrow night.  And roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts and who knows what else. 

apl68

I've been using my crock pot to make stew this winter.  It's a simple beef stew recipe.  I substitute venison when I have some on hand.  Unfortunately I haven't received any gifts of venison lately, and am now all out. 

Tonight I just plan to bake a couple of potatoes.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all