Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: writingprof on June 20, 2020, 10:33:13 AM
Quote from: Cheerful on June 20, 2020, 09:47:34 AM
After 100 years, Eskimo Pie ice cream bars will be re-named.

Are they renaming them Inuit Pie ice cream bars?  I'm seriously asking.

It seems to me "pie" is kind of Eurocentric, so that doesn't sound good. (I'm not sure if the Inuit had any pastry originally; it seems unlikely but I'd be interested to hear toherwise.)

It takes so little to be above average.

writingprof

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 20, 2020, 10:56:23 AM
Quote from: writingprof on June 20, 2020, 10:33:13 AM
Quote from: Cheerful on June 20, 2020, 09:47:34 AM
After 100 years, Eskimo Pie ice cream bars will be re-named.

Are they renaming them Inuit Pie ice cream bars?  I'm seriously asking.

It seems to me "pie" is kind of Eurocentric, so that doesn't sound good. (I'm not sure if the Inuit had any pastry originally; it seems unlikely but I'd be interested to hear toherwise.)

After a brief tour of the Inuit cuisine page in a Canadian encyclopedia, I humbly propose:

Inuit Predigested Plant Foods Found in the Stomachs of Caribou Ice Cream Bars

Was it racist of them to eat predigested plants? Or is it racist of us to know about it?

Economizer

When I arrive to a destination, turn off my vehicle, and get out, my horn makes 3 short, loud beeps. I do not know why it does this but I want to assure those that hear it that it is not a "heralding" signal.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

Not all the people who used to be referred to as 'Eskimo' are Inuit. There are also the Yupik and the Aleut, although it's basically accurate to call all of the these people in Canada 'Inuit' (but not the Innu, who are a different people in Québec and Labrador). The Yupik strongly object to being called 'Inuit', and rightly so.

In Canada and Greenland, 'Eskimo' is generally considered offensive, and should be avoided as a name to designate those peoples. It's still in fairly wide usage in Alaska, although the relevant peoples unsurprisingly tend to refer to themselves using their people's actual name.

I think that 'Eskimo pie' and its marketing is pretty offensive, actually, and entirely of a piece with Aunt Jemima and the rest. And so are the Edmonton Eskimos.
I know it's a genus.

writingprof

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 20, 2020, 05:09:44 PM
I think that 'Eskimo pie' and its marketing is pretty offensive, actually, and entirely of a piece with Aunt Jemima and the rest. And so are the Edmonton Eskimos.

Are you white? If so, you should know that it will one day be considered a form of colonialism for white people to be offended on behalf of people "of color." You have been warned.

Economizer

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Economizer

mahagonny

I heard a guy on CNN today saying 'really, do we need pictures of people to identify products?' And I thought 'do we really need somebody on the radio telling us we can't have them?' I mean, it doesn't break my heart never to see Aunt Jemima again, if it makes someone unhappy, but is this guy ready to tell them they can use Paul Newman's face on the spaghetti sauce jar, reminding you all proceeds go to charity, and maybe you'll buy that brand cause you liked old Paul?  And BTW, pretty good sauce.

apropos of:

QuoteTo be safe, I think we had better go with plain gray packaging with the word "syrup" written on it.  Like in the Soviet Union!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Economizer on June 21, 2020, 06:07:27 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 20, 2020, 07:57:49 PM
Quote from: Economizer on June 20, 2020, 05:25:31 PM
Is not Nunavut still around?

Yes. And?
Are the citizens of that province Inuit or, perhaps, Dutch?

Territory. Some are Inuit, yes. Others are Métis, and others non-Indigenous.

(If this is what you're asking: a white resident of Nunavut does not thereby become Inuit.)
I know it's a genus.

Economizer

ergative

Quote from: writingprof on June 20, 2020, 05:24:06 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 20, 2020, 05:09:44 PM

Are you white? If so, you should know that it will one day be considered a form of colonialism for white people to be offended on behalf of people "of color." You have been warned.

Meh--I'll take my cues from the people who are actually harmed by offensive marketing. If they want me to use my privilege on their behalf, then I will. If they want me to shut up and go away, then I will. Not that hard.

San Joaquin

I wanna tell people that wearing your mask draped across your chin, rather than over your mouth and nose, only makes it look like you need a drool bucket.

mamselle

Going through some other websites, I ran across this aggregated list of writing helps for humanities writers on the Louisiana State U. site for medievalists.

Some may be outdated (can't find a "last edited date" on the page,

https://sites01.lsu.edu/faculty/jgellri/sample-page/quick-help-for-writing-essays/

but it could be useful, even so.

M.

ETA: found the date: 2017, so a bit outdated, but I'll leave it up just in case.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: San Joaquin on June 22, 2020, 07:28:02 AM
I wanna tell people that wearing your mask draped across your chin, rather than over your mouth and nose, only makes it look like you need a drool bucket.

I want to tell people that not covering your nose with your mask is like, well like this. (NSFW, sort of in a cartoony way, if that even matters anymore.)