Started by Myword, March 16, 2023, 06:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 20, 2023, 01:34:22 PM
Quote from: dismalist on June 20, 2023, 12:43:58 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 20, 2023, 07:18:39 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on June 20, 2023, 05:22:41 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 19, 2023, 10:19:57 PM
Quote from: eigen on June 19, 2023, 06:25:09 PMAs a note, I wonder if we might consider breaking some of our super long threads into those by season, if not month?

A few people mentioned trying to move over here from Reddit recently, and that it felt very hard to get started because most of the active threads were multi-year discussions to catch up on.

That could certainly be done. I can close a few and re-open them as summer threads on the 21, to see how that goes.

I have no idea what that means.

The 21 is the usual benchmark for the changing of the seasons. On June 21, it will be summer.

Or do you mean the procedure in question? I will close some overlarge threads. And then post a new thread by the same title with a seasonal designation.

You don't need to post a new thread with the same title. If somebody misses his or her thread s/he can post a thread with  another name.

What happens to a thread that's "closed"? I guess it will drop off the leader board after a few days if it's not pinned somewhere. If someone wants to start a new one, it could be tedious for a while for people who remember the old one and want to find it to quote from it.

The idea is to kill threads, not keep them alive! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

marshwiggle

Quote from: dismalist on June 20, 2023, 01:56:22 PMThe idea is to kill threads, not keep them alive! :-)

Oh, the threadality! Won't someone think of the threads?!?
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 20, 2023, 01:34:22 PMWhat happens to a thread that's "closed"? I guess it will drop off the leader board after a few days if it's not pinned somewhere. If someone wants to start a new one, it could be tedious for a while for people who remember the old one and want to find it to quote from it.

It just becomes impossible to add new replies to the thread, and yeah, it drops down the page over time. It can be re-opened at any time.
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 20, 2023, 02:29:37 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on June 20, 2023, 01:34:22 PMWhat happens to a thread that's "closed"? I guess it will drop off the leader board after a few days if it's not pinned somewhere. If someone wants to start a new one, it could be tedious for a while for people who remember the old one and want to find it to quote from it.

It just becomes impossible to add new replies to the thread, and yeah, it drops down the page over time. It can be re-opened at any time.

Ooooh, fantastic! Then if someone requests reopening the thread, you can take a coupla' days processing and handling!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

Quote from: dismalist on June 20, 2023, 03:30:41 PM

Ooooh, fantastic! Then if someone requests reopening the thread, you can take a coupla' days processing and handling!

Or you can just search for a keyword and it should pop up. Then post and it will go back to the beginning.

marshwiggle

Quote from: ciao_yall on June 20, 2023, 04:27:02 PM
Quote from: dismalist on June 20, 2023, 03:30:41 PM

Or you can just search for a keyword and it should pop up. Then post and it will go back to the beginning.

If I understand correctly, since the post can only be to the "new" thread, the old one will stay buried.
It takes so little to be above average.

eigen

Just have the last post in a past thread link to the new one, and the first post in the new thread link to the old one.

Like an ouroboros.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

dismalist

Quote from: eigen on June 20, 2023, 05:31:05 PMJust have the last post in a past thread link to the new one, and the first post in the new thread link to the old one.

Like an ouroboros.

The ouroboros eats its own tail. Presumably it dies. This is what threads have to do!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

Reviving this thread after having deleted the sinkhole known as reddit.

The professor thread - since I don't teach anymore, I don't have much to say or learn regarding the topics being posted.

The rest was just not making me be a better person. And wasting my time reading about other people's bad behavior and dumb posts from other parts of the interwebs.

The final straw was when I read something a bit cuckoo on LinkedIn and thought about posting it to /linkedinlunatics or /linkedincringe and decided it was probably better that I stop perusing LinkedIn.

So my social media is you all, and a focused use of Facebook. Now to stop clicking on "listicles" but one thing at a time...