News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paultuttle

If only you had testicular/ovarian fortitude.

Or a spine.

Anything, really, that would enable you to stick to your guns and refuse to be steamrollered.

If only.

science.expat

Quote from: Scotia on June 03, 2019, 06:22:15 AM
Quote from: science.expat on June 03, 2019, 03:19:40 AM
Dear boss,

I was so right in my earlier description of you.

Best regards, SE

You are so rarely wrong! I should know better by now, but I continue to be amazed at how the incompetent, the poisonous and, most dangerously, those who combine both traits, continue to rise up the career ladder while patently competent and good human beings are overlooked. It doesn't just happen in academia (see current government in UK and POTUS).

Agreed. And it's so depressing!

polly_mer

Quote from: paultuttle on June 03, 2019, 08:05:47 AM
Was there ever a moment during the week and a half between the task assignment and the deadline when you could have told me you were unable to complete the task?

If I'd had that much spare time, then I probably could have completed the task!

Sorry, I couldn't resist since I've been in that boat too much in the past few months as people assign new tasks and then accelerate the deadlines with almost no notice.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Vkw10

You do know that the major in X was eliminated last year because no one had completed it in 7 years? And that no one had declared a major in X for 4 years? What makes you think I'd support a new program proposal for a major in X?
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

paultuttle

I know what you did. You know what you did. We all know what you did.

(It was so obvious that a person with only two brain cells to rub together in his or her head would be able to figure it out.)

So let's not pretend the process was fair/transparent or the results legitimate.

archaeo42

Go ahead and bluster all you like. It's not going to change the answer.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

sprout

Were you seriously expecting full credit for that?  Did you think I wouldn't even glance at the extra credit submissions?

ab_grp

Of course you were the only baby snowflake who could not provide feedback on a 1.5-page document in a week and a half despite pushing to be part of the "review" team AND being on my ass to get it sent out as early as possible (when I have had a few other things to do!).  I even gave you an extra couple days over the initial week you "suggested".   I guess you were just so much busier than all the others who took the time to respond.  Well, when I said the comment period has closed, that is what I meant!

ergative

It was non-trivial to pick out the raisins from my meusli, add in the dried cherries, and chop up the apple, but I did it all and I left it to soak in milk knowing that it would be delicious. The fact that you didn't do any of these things to your muesli was entirely your choice. It's early, you need to get going, and you don't have the time to prepare your breakfast as carefully as I do.

But then you ate mine, and all I have to eat is your muesli, with no dried cherries, full of yucky raisins, and no chopped apple. WTF, man?

nescafe

Sure, I'll get all 120 student papers graded and entered within 72 hours. No problem

mamselle

Quote from: ergative on June 14, 2019, 12:06:17 AM
It was non-trivial to pick out the raisins from my meusli, add in the dried cherries, and chop up the apple, but I did it all and I left it to soak in milk knowing that it would be delicious. The fact that you didn't do any of these things to your muesli was entirely your choice. It's early, you need to get going, and you don't have the time to prepare your breakfast as carefully as I do.

But then you ate mine, and all I have to eat is your muesli, with no dried cherries, full of yucky raisins, and no chopped apple. WTF, man?

That's just mean!!!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

That's some Kool-Aid you are drinking...

Vkw10

Expertise in predictive analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, plus intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Excel? Are you trying to hire computer science faculty or an administrative assistant?

(I'm so glad we're not in the same college!)

polly_mer

Have you hear the phrase: there's having N years of experience and then there's having one year of experience N times?

One problem we have is many of the remaining people have one year of experience N>20 times and a whole lot of new people who only have one year of professional experience once.

It'd be good if we were doing more to get folks who have about 10 years of experience in various combinations of X>3 years of experience Y>3 times to add up 10 years of something.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Vkw10

The current system works and nobody is complaining. Find something else to improve!