News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Water Cooler Chit Chat

Started by Cheerful, March 30, 2020, 11:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprout

Quote from: clean on April 02, 2020, 11:02:10 AM
Hey!  HOW come NO ONE has commented on my 5 pound weight loss?

Given the 'social distancing rules' it seems that my primary calorie source (probably french fries) have been hampered because I was a Dine In person and I loath the drive through! Even when I ordered 'to go' I went inside to make the order.   Even some of the order ahead deals on the aps require you pick up through the drive in and I refuse to wait in the drive through line..like a savage!.. so I am not doing too much with respect to 'fast food'.

In addition, I have been eating primarily pre-prepared salads. I go to the grocery store every 3rd day and pick up a few more day's supply. There is a variety so I have not been getting the same thing so I m not (yet) bored of salads.

IF I could work into my schedule some exercise, and I know that i should!, I would probably lose even more!  However, I have discovered that my clock has rotated. Even IF I go to bed at a reasonable time, I am nto able to sleep.  I find that I might fall asleep right away be be awake in an hour, and for several more hours, only to go back to sleep between 330 and 4. Then I sleep until 1030 -1130am.

Anyone else losing weight on the 'stay safe, stay home' diet or found their sleep patterns rotated?

I'm devolving back to my 'awake until 2, sleep until 10' pattern that I get into when I don't have a need to set an alarm.
As for weight loss - I wish!  I'd lost about 30 pounds before going into quarantine and I'm a little afraid I'll have it all back by the time we come out!  Boredom or procrastination-eating is a big issue for me.  The snacks I have around at home may be healthier than the vending machines at work, but they're so much more available.  Anyone else fighting the"'quarantine fifteen"?

ciao_yall

By not going out to eat I seem to have lost a few pounds. Have also been taking long walks every day.

Even all the extra wine I am drinking doesn't seem to be making much difference.

I'm doing WW which helps me stay on track.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: sprout on April 02, 2020, 11:31:52 AM
Quote from: clean on April 02, 2020, 11:02:10 AM
Hey!  HOW come NO ONE has commented on my 5 pound weight loss?

Given the 'social distancing rules' it seems that my primary calorie source (probably french fries) have been hampered because I was a Dine In person and I loath the drive through! Even when I ordered 'to go' I went inside to make the order.   Even some of the order ahead deals on the aps require you pick up through the drive in and I refuse to wait in the drive through line..like a savage!.. so I am not doing too much with respect to 'fast food'.

In addition, I have been eating primarily pre-prepared salads. I go to the grocery store every 3rd day and pick up a few more day's supply. There is a variety so I have not been getting the same thing so I m not (yet) bored of salads.

IF I could work into my schedule some exercise, and I know that i should!, I would probably lose even more!  However, I have discovered that my clock has rotated. Even IF I go to bed at a reasonable time, I am nto able to sleep.  I find that I might fall asleep right away be be awake in an hour, and for several more hours, only to go back to sleep between 330 and 4. Then I sleep until 1030 -1130am.

Anyone else losing weight on the 'stay safe, stay home' diet or found their sleep patterns rotated?

I'm devolving back to my 'awake until 2, sleep until 10' pattern that I get into when I don't have a need to set an alarm.
As for weight loss - I wish!  I'd lost about 30 pounds before going into quarantine and I'm a little afraid I'll have it all back by the time we come out!  Boredom or procrastination-eating is a big issue for me.  The snacks I have around at home may be healthier than the vending machines at work, but they're so much more available.  Anyone else fighting the"'quarantine fifteen"?

With the stay-at-home policy and hurt legs I've definitely gotten a bit squishier. Trying to get back on a routine which includes meal planning instead of eating whenever I feel like it, and exercising regularly.

I worry about the effect this stay-at-home situation will have on SO. He is already obese and food is a major source of comfort for him when he is bored or stressed. He had recently started making minuscule cut-backs to his sugar consumption as an early baby step to eating healthier, but it seems he's now decided, "Well, there's a pandemic, I'm stressed out, so I'll eat what I want."

apl68

Still working 9-5 weekdays, and still walking for over an hour each morning before getting ready for work, so my daily routine is holding.  Before things started shutting down around here I was sleeping in later (until well after six) than before, and had therefore had to change up my walking routes.  That was due to medication I've been taking that makes me sleepier.

With the recent sunny weather after months of rain, I've been adjusting to something more like my previous schedule.

I'm also still slowly completing my recovery from last year's dog attack/accident.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Cheerful

Quote from: Cheerful on March 30, 2020, 11:17:38 AM
After extensive research and effort, managed to place my first online grocery order for pick up later this week.

I received an email this morning with the grocery charge on my credit card.  Called and store said my order was ready for pick up.  Yay!  They said "call when you get here and we'll bring your groceries to the car."  I did and they said, "we'll be right out!"  Five minutes later, clerk comes out and says "sorry, someone else mistakenly received your groceries."  "I understand," I said.  She said they'll call when the replacement order is ready.  That was six hours ago.  Will start over in morning with a request for a refund.
It's a jungle out there, folks.

Cheerful

I have my groceries.  Grateful.  They could not accept the tip I had ready.  Feel bad about that.

Happy Friday and Best Wishes to Everyone on The Fora.

polly_mer

Clean, do you ever put your French fries on your salads?  I was introduced to that in Pittsburgh and now salads seem plain without the fries.

We bought an air frier over Christmas and our store is fully stocked on frozen fries.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

apl68

I make "oven fries" by slicing unpeeled potatoes into sections, tossing in a little oil and paprika, and baking in a covered dish until done.  They're very good, much less greasy than normal fries, and don't require any peeling, which I've always been too lazy to do. 

Never thought of putting them on a salad, though.  I've always been content with dressing and maybe a little shredded cheese or a sprinkling of sunflower kernels.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

secundem_artem

Quote from: polly_mer on April 03, 2020, 07:14:54 AM
Clean, do you ever put your French fries on your salads?  I was introduced to that in Pittsburgh and now salads seem plain without the fries.

We bought an air frier over Christmas and our store is fully stocked on frozen fries.

It's even better if you leave off the salad.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

polly_mer

Quote from: secundem_artem on April 03, 2020, 09:34:31 AM

It's even better if you leave off the salad.

I have reached the age that I physically need extra vegetables, but still can't face them as just bare servings sitting on the plate taunting me with their much-less-desirable-than-meat-and-potatoness.  However, an expanded cobb/chef salad with fries, meat, and cheese enough to get something other than vegetables in every bite is something I can face.

I don't need any dressing if I have enough good stuff on the salad itself.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Antiphon1

Try onion rings ala Sonic salads of yore.  It's pretty dang good.

clean

went to bed at a reasonable time.  Woke up about an hour later.  Tried to go back to sleep.  Then I gave up and have been up about 2 hours reading interent news sites.  Its 433 now, and Im not feeling sleepy but Im going to try to sleep some more.  Not a good way to start a Monday!  I have 2 classes to deal with this afternoon through WebEx.  (Hopefully I remember to press "record" THIS time!!)
I plan to get out on Tuesday some time and walk a bit.  i need to start getting out of the house in a constructive way to improve my health and outlook!  I need some walking endorphins! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Start a birding lifelist on your walks?

(See the Audubon Society's guidelines).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

Since there seem to be many birders on the fora, was wondering if anyone was familiar with the one-act opera A Waterbird Talk by Dominick Argento? Parts of the libretto were adapted from Audubon's writings. There's also some drama mixed in, but I've always loved this work for the way the music enhances the descriptions of the birds.

I've got a composer friend taking commissions for songs (pandemic seriously limiting his ability to work as a performer at moment), and I've been thinking of asking him to put a few other pieces of scientific prose to music. Needs to be old enough to be in the public domain. I was thinking excerpts from Origin of Species or maybe William James's Principles of Psychology.

Any ideas?

mamselle

Ooooh, I like that idea.

Someone like Issak Walton, maybe, or....who was that naturalist who wrote such beautiful prose... Aldo someone?

Thoreau's ok sometimes, but he make a 15-min. walk into town sound like a dangerous trek to the Pole.

How would the piece be structured?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.