News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Summer 2020 plans!! Whatchya gonna do??

Started by clean, March 30, 2020, 11:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

What are YOUR plans for the summer?  How confident in them are you?  Do you have a contingency plan yet?

I had a conversation with a former coworker this morning. He usually takes his RV about over the summer.  He teaches 2 online summer classes and most of that is already automated, so he doesnt have much to do while on the road.  Today he mentioned that he doesnt  know what he will do given that currently a lot of places are shut down. He mentioned that his employer (my former employer) is alerting faculty to prepare for only online classes in Summer AND fall as well! 

In December I had booked a cruise to Alaska for mid-late May.  In February when it was time to pay or cancel, my travel companions balked, so we cancelled.  As of today anyway, the cruise line had cancelled several departures, but my original departure is still (at least today) on the books for a departure.

After we cancelled the Alaska trip, I booked a Disney trip for May 17 - 24 anticipating some of my family may join in as we are Florida Natives (and they have not transplanted).  That is still ready, but this weekend Disney announced that it would be closed until Further notice.  If I understood it, they are not taking reservations before June 1, but that may not be correct.  When Disney first announced it was shutting down it was only until March 31, so I am not surprised by the reluctance to reopen, especially when the Fl governor moving to quarantine people arriving from several states for 2 weeks!

Soooo,.... I was thinking (maybe naively) that this virus would be well in hand by Mid May and that by then we would all be back to work.  It is not looking that way as I type on March 30.  So I have plans to visit Disney (though my fiance is giving me the "we'll see" yellow flag!)

Otherwise, I have no travel plans.  I had already planned to teach 2 online classes, so that should not change. 

In summary, it looks like my summer plans from December have changed to Contingency Plan Disney, and I have no additional contingency plans (other than 'stay home').  I have not even considered teaching FALL online totally!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

clean

I talked to my parents late last week. The usually take their RV to TN and visit Dollywood and the Blue Ridge Parkway area parks in late spring.  They like Dollywood because at that time of year they have a lot of Gospel groups and bluegrass groups play.  My mom indicated that because of the closures of so many rest areas and the closures of the national parks, and of course Dollywood, that they have cancelled.  Even if things reopen in April, it will be too late to make reservations, so no Spring Flower - see the fawn and other babies in the national parks trip for them this year. 
At the moment they are working in their respective gardens - (Flowers for mom, and veggies for my father).

They dont usually do much 'fun' over the summer. At least so far THIS summer is not scheduled for surgeries!  The last 2 summers have been devoted to knee replacements! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

I would like to clear out part of my backyard so that I can put in a nice Victory Garden! :) I still plan to keep large spaces untouched as habitat for birds and other wildlife. I'll probably end up teaching online unless they revoke the quarantine measures.

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Hoping that things will have returned to normal enough by summer to hold our library summer reading program as usual.  We've had to cancel an awful lot of what we had planned for this spring.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

I'm thinking we'll all be watching it and staying home until September--at least I'm planning for that.

My summer plans rarely involve travel since I'm one of the folks who guides visitors to my area around specific historic sites in July and August.

I'm guessing my next 4 months will look like this past month has looked, and I'm fine with that. I've delayed work on two papers (for cancelled conferences) in order to dig into a book project that could take all year, and I'll probably have more music students than usual in the summer if people still aren't travelling because it occupies their time pleasantly and productively--and that's fine with me, too.

My "day job" also has ongoing stuff to do: it's time to start putting our next publication together, which I edit and help produce, and that will run (and pay, thankfully) all summer as well.

My foot is better, so while it's not fully weight-bearing yet, it's getting there...by June I should be walking, maybe hiking a tiny bit, and I'm deciding now what form my usual tours may take, and how to do the PR for them online.

My major travel happens in the winter, and I still have a couple thousand photos from Dec.to go through and file.

So....it'll be fun!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hegemony

I don't know what "well in hand by mid May" would even look like. The only way that this is containable without surefire treatments or a vaccine is if it is reduced to rare enough occurrences that any outbreak can be immediately quelled by isolating the infected person, doing extensive contact tracing, and isolating all those who have come into contact with them. This is the practice in South Korea, as I understand it. But no other country has made a gesture towards it since the very early days. It's either admonishing people about social distancing, to moderate effect, or lockdown, to imperfect effect, or various degrees of chaos. I see no sign that the U.S. is addressing this in any kind of coordinated or orderly way. The price we pay for that is having to wait until someone develops surefire treatments or a vaccine. As soon as things are loosened up in any way, the virus will spread even more freely.  So even if Disneyland opens and cruises start up again, I think anyone who's not immune would be foolhardy — potentially risking their lives, not to say the lives of people they will pass the virus on to — not to stay home.

spork

Applying for full professor, and possibly traveling to my wife's homeland to see her elderly mother, if she hasn't caught Covid-19 by then.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

sprout

We were planning a trip to Europe in July.  Pretty much given up on planning for that now, though.  So, probably just putter around in the garden and travel a bit to see family if that's a viable option.

uni_cyclist

We had a trip scheduled in May for my milestone birthday. It was to be in a faraway country to which I've never travelled. The airline made the decision for us by cancelling our flights.

We're supposed to travel to a wedding (a friend from college) in June, but I wonder whether the wedding itself will be postponed.

Other big plans involve moving for my new job! We don't know when to start house hunting or when to put our current house on the market.

Scotia

When (if) I get home from my current travels I will be staying there!

I have had enough adventures a long way from home in the last two and a half weeks while trying to sort out getting home to kill all desire to stray far, at least for a few months, and I certainly don't want to get on a plane. Fortunately my booking on a flight home this weekend seems to be stable, after two earlier cancellations.

DrSomebody

Well, if this lasted until fall, some of us wouldn't have jobs, for sure, so it's a good thing that isn't extremely likely. Also, there are some diseases without vaccines that we have been able to continue on with. I guess I just don't see things as foreboding for as long as many do, but being stuck inside for weeks or months at a time does cause people to look at the dark side, I suppose. But my understanding from the beginning was that the major goal of social distancing was to keep the medical system from being overwhelmed. As a whole, this virus is not a killer to the majority of people, so as long as it can be spaced out, then it can be treated. I have been following one of the major modeling sites: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections That being said, of course I've had to delay my annual May/graduation trip I take each year to some foreign destination. This year's Middle Eastern destination doesn't even have open borders if I wanted to go, but I am rescheduling that trip to a period right before when school starts, so late July/early August. My major domestic trip, to Hawaii, a place I would now be quarantined, was to be late July, and I will attempt to reschedule for early July, if possible. So it looks like I'll be cramming my elongated summer travel into the few weeks before school starts, but after months of sitting at home, I think I won't mind. I sure hope the models are correct--or better--and that people are able to believe and hope. It seems like everything I see and hear now is all about numbers of deaths (without context) and everything bad, almost as if to scare us into locking ourselves away. I am not going anywhere for a while, but I intend to get out eventually!

Vkw10

We've cancelled the mid-May week on Fripp Island with my brother's family. It's time to book airfare, but family events have been postponed to September.

I was also planning a leisurely road trip to South Dakota and Nevada. I brought home the illustrated guide to U.S.A. landmarks when we cleaned out my mother's house last year. As a child poring over that book, I wanted to see the Dakota Badlands and Mount Rushmore and Hoover Dam. The plan was to fly from SC to SD, then rent a car for a two week drive home to Texas via NV. My road trip is on hold.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Quote from: DrSomebody on March 30, 2020, 11:28:24 PM
Well, if this lasted until fall, some of us wouldn't have jobs, for sure, so it's a good thing that isn't extremely likely. Also, there are some diseases without vaccines that we have been able to continue on with. I guess I just don't see things as foreboding for as long as many do, but being stuck inside for weeks or months at a time does cause people to look at the dark side, I suppose. But my understanding from the beginning was that the major goal of social distancing was to keep the medical system from being overwhelmed. As a whole, this virus is not a killer to the majority of people, so as long as it can be spaced out, then it can be treated. I have been following one of the major modeling sites: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections That being said, of course I've had to delay my annual May/graduation trip I take each year to some foreign destination. This year's Middle Eastern destination doesn't even have open borders if I wanted to go, but I am rescheduling that trip to a period right before when school starts, so late July/early August. My major domestic trip, to Hawaii, a place I would now be quarantined, was to be late July, and I will attempt to reschedule for early July, if possible. So it looks like I'll be cramming my elongated summer travel into the few weeks before school starts, but after months of sitting at home, I think I won't mind. I sure hope the models are correct--or better--and that people are able to believe and hope. It seems like everything I see and hear now is all about numbers of deaths (without context) and everything bad, almost as if to scare us into locking ourselves away. I am not going anywhere for a while, but I intend to get out eventually!

Beware. Having worked with some, they'll be the first to tell you:

Statisticians are people who know how to model what their employer wants to hear...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

saffie

We've gone to distance learning for summer classes, so I need to move more material online in between now and June. I was hoping to visit family later this summer, but I don't know if that will happen. I'd love to take a least a short road trip out of the city.