Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

Quote from: writingprof on July 23, 2020, 03:06:48 PM
Quote from: Larimar on July 23, 2020, 02:23:12 PM
Quote from: mythbuster on July 23, 2020, 01:39:57 PM
I'm so glad all my classes are online. I'll just sit here in my home office until 2021.

Me too!

Me, too, but only if it's sustainable.  Problem: It isn't.  If I'm sitting at home, watching Netflix, writing, and teaching my six classes a year, it's not clear why I'm being paid literally five times more than adjuncts with the same workload.  Presumably, my administrators will eventually rectify this disparity.  They will not do so by bumping up the adjuncts' pay.

I've got to ask, how are you avoiding all of the other responsibilities of an (I assume) TT job, since you're comparing it to adjunct pay?

My workload has kicked up by about 50%, and I'm still swamped with student advising, running a research program with both my own scholarship and with students, writing, applying for grants, having regular committee meetings, etc.

The only difference is where I'm doing it, not the work I'm putting in.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

downer

This is the first time I've seen faculty directly advising students to stay home, while the admin encourages them to come to campus.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/08/03/unc-chapel-hill-faculty-students-stay-home

Then there is the UNC faculty and stuff lawsuit also trying to delay the fall opening.

I've been hearing that the NYC teaching unions are prepared to file suit if there are not sufficient safeguards for teachers, and they are not yet satisfied that there are.

Seems like by Labor Day there may well be a lot of court action about openings. 
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on August 03, 2020, 03:55:50 AM
This is the first time I've seen faculty directly advising students to stay home, while the admin encourages them to come to campus.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/08/03/unc-chapel-hill-faculty-students-stay-home

From the article:

'As for only 30 professors acting on their own, the letter says that as "tenured faculty, we are among the most privileged members of the UNC-Chapel Hill community. One of the greatest benefits of our position is having the chance to share ideas, and discover new knowledge, with you. But neither our research nor our teaching is as important to us as the health, safety, and well-being of our students and our colleagues, including the staff and campus workers who make our teaching and research possible."'

Good rule: when a group of powerful people asks you to  do something a certain way for your own good  and how you do it will affect them also, they are probably thinking of themselves. Kids don't die from it, 50+ adults do. Especially likely when they can't resist tooting their own horn  while they're at it.

Economizer

Now, please excuse me for inquiring about an "unthinkable". Are or could there be factions or forces that are attempting to turn the "pandemic" into a "pogrom"?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

namazu

Quote from: Economizer on August 04, 2020, 01:56:53 PM
Now, please excuse me for inquiring about an "unthinkable". Are or could there be factions or forces that are attempting to turn the "pandemic" into a "pogrom"?
What do you mean by "pogrom" here, and whom do you believe it would be targeting?  That's an interesting (and loaded) word choice.

Economizer

I thought my question was clear enough. But, does anyone suppose that there are
people complicating or not cooperating with cure and recovery efforts in order to further their, and/or, their compatriots intentions to gain money and power? A GRAND SCHEME, SO TO SPEAK.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

spork

Quote from: Economizer on August 04, 2020, 06:11:36 PM
I thought my question was clear enough. But, does anyone suppose that there are
people complicating or not cooperating with cure and recovery efforts in order to further their, and/or, their compatriots intentions to gain money and power? A GRAND SCHEME, SO TO SPEAK.

You mean Trump and his lackeys?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Economizer

Nope. Other suggestions?

kaysixteen

So, in the active midst of this pandemic, who is going to launch this pogrom, against whom, and how?  Don't make us guess, be as specific as you can be, and lard up those specifics with as much verifiable evidence as you can.

Economizer

Can't do it because I do not have evidence of it. I'm sorry now that I bought it up..

bacardiandlime

Quote from: Economizer on August 05, 2020, 12:42:14 AM
Can't do it because I do not have evidence of it.

Yet you believe it?

Economizer

I only believe the word POGROM exists. And, that it came into being because of some events in the past. Also, Ii think that there should be some awareness that those events could exist again either as natural phenomena, or the evill intent of humans. So, there's your plot. Now get started with that script!

RatGuy

Quote from: bacardiandlime on August 05, 2020, 03:26:21 AM
Yet you believe it?

Isn't this how all great conspiracy theories work? "I'm hypothesizing some "grand scheme" that can't be proven because all evidence of it has been scrubbed from the universe because of the insidious actions of the Grand Schemers? And for those predisposed to believe such conspiracies, the lack of evidence is actually the ultimate evidence? Even so, isn't the fact that your ideological enemies disbelieve your theory proof enough that it's true?

Caracal

Quote from: RatGuy on August 05, 2020, 05:24:52 AM
Quote from: bacardiandlime on August 05, 2020, 03:26:21 AM
Yet you believe it?

Isn't this how all great conspiracy theories work? "I'm hypothesizing some "grand scheme" that can't be proven because all evidence of it has been scrubbed from the universe because of the insidious actions of the Grand Schemers? And for those predisposed to believe such conspiracies, the lack of evidence is actually the ultimate evidence? Even so, isn't the fact that your ideological enemies disbelieve your theory proof enough that it's true?

And it doesn't matter if the plan would make no sense. Are we supposed to believe that schools have decided that this is a great opportunity to kill off all their faculty? That would be a very strange plan since COVID, while very dangerous, isn't actually deadly enough to make that work...

secundem_artem

Quote from: Economizer on August 05, 2020, 05:21:31 AM
I only believe the word POGROM exists. And, that it came into being because of some events in the past. Also, Ii think that there should be some awareness that those events could exist again either as natural phenomena, or the evill intent of humans. So, there's your plot. Now get started with that script!

Maybe take this discussion over to a Q Anon board somewhere. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances