Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving 2020 Plans

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, November 13, 2020, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on November 18, 2020, 10:34:13 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 18, 2020, 09:32:38 AM
Brie + figs = yum. What about goat cheese + fruit (cranberry or blueberry)?

My MIL makes some kind of spreadable log of goat cheese and cranberry.  I'm not sure if anything else is included.  We would spread it on crackers or small little toastlets (I think there is a name for those, but it is escaping me!).

As for savory sides, there are some kickin' collards and a couple other similar dishes with strong greens that we really like to make. 

Does anyone here like coconut custard pie? Along with pumpkin, that's one of my favorites from growing up.

Melba toast?

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 18, 2020, 01:03:10 PM

My MIL makes some kind of spreadable log of goat cheese and cranberry.  I'm not sure if anything else is included.  We would spread it on crackers or small little toastlets (I think there is a name for those, but it is escaping me!).

As for savory sides, there are some kickin' collards and a couple other similar dishes with strong greens that we really like to make. 

Does anyone here like coconut custard pie? Along with pumpkin, that's one of my favorites from growing up.

Melba toast?

Yep, I think that's it! A bit ironic, given that it was in the crossword today.  Maybe that blocked it in my mind for some reason.  Thanks! That would have been bugging me.

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on November 18, 2020, 02:29:21 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 18, 2020, 01:03:10 PM

Melba toast?

Yep, I think that's it! A bit ironic, given that it was in the crossword today.  Maybe that blocked it in my mind for some reason.  Thanks! That would have been bugging me.

Melba toast--aka dehydrated bread.  When I was growing up and we would go to a local restaurant that had baskets of crackers on the table, no package of Melba toast in the basket was safe!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ab_grp

Those little Melba toasts are pretty handy.  And now I just came across a recipe for a Goat Cheese Cake with Wine-Poached Cranberries.

Puget

Quote from: ab_grp on November 18, 2020, 03:01:17 PM
Those little Melba toasts are pretty handy.  And now I just came across a recipe for a Goat Cheese Cake with Wine-Poached Cranberries.

Do share!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ab_grp

Quote from: Puget on November 18, 2020, 03:12:06 PM

Do share!

Here it is, from Food & Wine: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/goat-cheese-cake-wine-poached-cranberries  Looks pretty good.  From the reviews, there seems to be a discrepancy in the amount of mascarpone (0.5 oz apparently does not equal 1.5 C), so just take note of that.

Puget

Quote from: ab_grp on November 18, 2020, 03:29:52 PM

Do share!

Here it is, from Food & Wine: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/goat-cheese-cake-wine-poached-cranberries  Looks pretty good.  From the reviews, there seems to be a discrepancy in the amount of mascarpone (0.5 oz apparently does not equal 1.5 C), so just take note of that.

Thanks! I'll save it for such time as enough people can gather to not make the portion sizes deadly.
That 1/2 oz. has to actually be 12 oz. Shows the confusion a miss placed keystroke can cause!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ab_grp

Quote from: Puget on November 18, 2020, 04:57:12 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on November 18, 2020, 03:29:52 PM

Do share!

Thanks! I'll save it for such time as enough people can gather to not make the portion sizes deadly.
That 1/2 oz. has to actually be 12 oz. Shows the confusion a miss placed keystroke can cause!

Glad you figured out the right amount! I hope you will give a review if you do eventually make it.  Maybe you could try to make a mini size or individual cakes in the meantime if the urge strikes.

Here's another goat cheese appetizer I just came across: take a log of goat cheese softened to room temp, pour raspberry chipotle sauce over it, and serve with pita chips or crackers.  Sorry I don't have a link to that, but it was on a FB group page.

apl68

Why would you want to cover up that great goat cheese taste?

(I like my cheese sharp)
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

nonsensical

All this talk about delicious food is making me hungry! We are staying put, making a lot of food for just the two of us, and planning to eat tasty leftovers throughout the long weekend. Also planning to take naps and probably play board games. I am really looking forward to being able to take a break for a few days.

mamselle

This might belong on the venting thread, or the "wish I could say" thread, but...

Yes, I'd be glad to do a Zoom call with you and our other siblings and a couple of close relations on Thanksgiving...maybe from 1-3?

Yes, I want to be in touch via Zoom since we can't get together as usual...maybe from 6-8?

But--

Do you guys all realize that I've now just Zoomed away a holiday, when Zoom is my functioning work-day modality now?

In other words, I've basically just added 4 hours of work-like sitting and Zooming to my "day off"?

Glad to be able to get together, glad we have the technology and the time to do it, but I'd almost (almost) rather fix a 5-course meal for six single-handed...

OK, now back to my usual equanimity...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Quote from: nonsensical on November 20, 2020, 01:19:54 PM
All this talk about delicious food is making me hungry! We are staying put, making a lot of food for just the two three of us, and planning to eat tasty leftovers throughout the long weekend. Also planning to take naps and probably play board games zone out in front of the tv/Netflix. I am really looking forward to being able to take a break for a few days!

Exactly!  :-)

mythbuster

So this morning I went on the shopping expedition and was able to procure half of a turkey! The butcher was kind of surprised but I told him he should put a sign up offering it- that he would have lots of takers.  All the whole turkeys were 13 pounds or more. No way we need that for just Mr. Buster and I.
   Now I just have to decide on a brine and do some estimation of cooking time. The store was out of buttermilk, so I think Samir Nosrat's buttermilk brine approach (Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat) is quite popular. We roasted a chicken a few weeks ago using the method. The meat was wonderfully juicy, but I actually didn't like what it did to the skin.

the_geneticist

I went to the local "fancy" grocery store and was able to get a fresh, bone-in turkey breast.  It's still almost 5 pounds, but I am planning to make turkey tamales out of the leftovers.
I do like the idea of a half turkey! 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Interesting.

How do you cook half a turkey in the oven? Oh, the asymmetry! Was it cut lengthwise? I suppose you could have all white or all dark meat if you wanted.

We plan to do a little bit each day. I may make some challah rolls today or tomorrow (extra to freeze for later) and a pumpkin pie on Wednesday. Turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green beans and gravy will happen on Thursday.