News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

That was a critique, not a request.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Parasaurolophus

It's pretty cool to drive through Alberta's endless canola fields when they're in bloom.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Too much of the DEI! Poppies... poppies... poppies...

jimbogumbo

little bongo

Yeah, struggled with this one for a while, too. I have a few possibilities.

1) DEI (officers, administrators, etc.), like poppies, act as a soporific, and put one to sleep.
2) One would rather sleep than hear more DEI stuff.
3) One wants to use poppies to put DEI staff and administration to sleep.

Too much time on my hands, I guess. My own take is that DEI is like any-other well-intentioned set of ideas--some good comes from it, and some silliness as well.

Parasaurolophus

Cold day in hell, etc. But that's right.
I know it's a genus.

little bongo

"The Gish Gallop" is tough to argue against--see also "Brandolini's Law." Maybe best to take a break.

secundem_artem

What should I do if somebody is triggered by the word "trigger" since it implies violence?
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

jimbogumbo

Someone is off a couple of centuries.

little bongo

Deeply silly questions, probably on purpose. Intelligent answers, though.

sinenomine

Watching a colleague in leadership implode is like watching a slow-motion train wreck.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

"Seminars Without Tears" on the "Teaching" sub-forum shows up abbreviated as "Seminars Without Tea--" on the main screen.  I suppose maybe some have been reading it as "Seminars Without Tea."  Somehow whenever I see that, my mind wants to complete it as "Seminars Without Teachers."  YMMV as to which of these scenarios would be the worst.

All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Morden

I always think "Seminars without Teachers," sort of like Peter Elbow's book Writing without Teachers.

Langue_doc

Quote from: sinenomine on October 02, 2023, 09:11:04 AMWatching a colleague in leadership implode is like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

Watching our so-called leaders implode is like being in a slow-motion train wreck.

Juvenal

"The Nutty Professor, or: Squirrel in my Pocket?"

Today at one or the other of my docs, I pulled out my pocket calendar and an acorn came up with it.

I think it came in when I windshield-wiped the car on setting out and had the side window open.  The wipers scattered a handful acorns in several directions and one direction must have been a bouncing towards my chest.

One of life's little surprises.

And, yes, it is a "mast year" around here.
Cranky septuagenarian