News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

I'm up to 244. I did get the pangram, but am frustrated because 'coir' and 'doric' weren't accepted.

ciao_yall

I'm doing the free version so it cuts me off at "Solid" which in today's case was 58 points.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 26, 2020, 09:14:03 AM
I'm up to 244. I did get the pangram, but am frustrated because 'coir' and 'doric' weren't accepted.

Yeah, same, although I'm at a lowly 129 and convinced there's another pangram in there somewhere.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

I made it to genius plus a bit (284 points) so far, but although we have had these letters before it is a slog to try to remember all the words that will work.  I've found a couple avenues of inquiry that have led to some longer words but am giving it a rest for a bit.  And like many here, I am playing the game of "why is X not in the list but Y is?!"

evil_physics_witchcraft

I've been doing the free version also. It just isn't satisfying enough, so I may end up subscribing.

ciao_yall

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 26, 2020, 09:52:47 AM
I've been doing the free version also. It just isn't satisfying enough, so I may end up subscribing.

I'm not interested in the paid version, but I might pay to get LetterBoxed. Of course, then I'll spend my whole life with my face in my phone That game is seriously like crack.

Langue_doc

It isn't expensive if you get home delivery. I think I'm paying around $19 for the games (both crosswords, letter boxed, spelling bee, tiles, and a few others).

Parasaurolophus

I pay 5 USD a month, which is good for all the puzzles.

I wouldn't shell out for the paper, because my opinion of its general quality is too low at this point. I fret a little about supporting them as it is, but it seems worth it for now just for the crossword, bee, and letterboxed.
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

Got yesterday's pangram first off.  Just hit me instantly.  Downhill from there.

Langue_doc

Yesterday's pangram was my first word. I did get to Genius, but didn't get minimize or minimized.

Today's is one of those wordy ones that depend on related word forms. I made it to Genius, but it wasn't fun. The pangram was one of my last words.

ab_grp

Yesterday's was tough until I stumbled on the zigging, zagging, zigzag, zigzagging, etc.  We fell short of the final three words, geez, meze, and mezze (which I thought I had tried!).  Today's is another "bookkeeping" effort.  Make sure to get all the variations of each word! I think I am at about 238, so not too much more to genius, but as usual am now at a loss so am giving it a rest, briefly.  I haven't figured out the pangram yet, so maybe that will at least put me over the genius hump for now.

Parasaurolophus

Surely it should have been 'geeze'.

Edit: got to genius, but since QB is 100 points away, that's never happening.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

I don't think it should have been in there at all!

Finally got to genius and got the pangram.  Looks like I have about 24 points left to get to QB, but I am worn out.  Hopefully we'll find the rest of the words once we compare what we have.  I have to wait until husband gets to genius, though.  Shouldn't be too long.

Parasaurolophus

Easy one today, with a nice little witch hat over the bee.

But I've been led to wonder: has anyone ever seen a puzzle with an 's' in it? I don't think I ever have.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Made it to slightly over genius.

I don't recall seeing any puzzles with 's', but quite a few with 'e, d' and 'i, n, g'.