News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aside

For comments that are peripheral to the discussion on a thread or might derail it if posted there.

To begin:

That's why Trump got elected!

San Joaquin

I wish someone had taught me more about classroom management before I had to learn those things the hard way.

aside

Quote from: aside on June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM
For comments that are peripheral to the discussion on a thread or might derail it if posted there.

To begin:

That's why Trump got elected!

And for posts that you'd like to make but don't want the thread showing up in your "new replies" forever and ever.  For example:

Great moniker!  Are you a fellow musician?

polly_mer

Quote from: aside on June 09, 2019, 08:02:05 PM
And for posts that you'd like to make but don't want the thread showing up in your "new replies" forever and ever. 

That's an option?  Dang, blew it already.  Well, at least I'm currently free of the limericks and animals that begin with P here (82 pages' worth of new replies to my posts still on the CHE fora and I have more than once clicked "mark all read").
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

aside

Quote from: polly_mer on June 09, 2019, 08:04:30 PM
Quote from: aside on June 09, 2019, 08:02:05 PM
And for posts that you'd like to make but don't want the thread showing up in your "new replies" forever and ever. 

That's an option?  Dang, blew it already.  Well, at least I'm currently free of the limericks and animals that begin with P here (82 pages' worth of new replies to my posts still on the CHE fora and I have more than once clicked "mark all read").

Yes, I had a bit of the same problem on CHE, although not nearly at the magnitude of yours.  I did post on a few threads on which I did not realize I would not want to continue participating, and had plenty of opportunities to regret doing so.

polly_mer

Regret is too strong a word for my feelings.  I generally only browse by "unread posts since last time" instead of "new replies to your posts" because I want to know everything that's going on.  I have been reading limericks and "P" animals, but I have refrained from posting there.

I like starting over because I can still read every post here every day for now.  I can decide whether I'm contributing anything to a conversation or whether I'm hoping to learn something new by reading others' thoughts.

Say, did we ever learn anything about bookmarking a thread here with a modern version of the software?  <off to do research>

mamselle

I've just been bookmarking by posting a "bookmark" post, as before.

I don't mind seeing threads I'm less interested in show up; it only takes a second to click on it, close it without reading, and be on my way.

Never understood the issue as a big deal.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Quote from: mamselle on June 10, 2019, 05:23:07 AM

fast_and_bulbous specifically mentioned on the new CHE fora discussion threads the ease of using system bookmarking so I'm wondering about that function.

I don't mind seeing threads I'm less interested in show up; it only takes a second to click on it, close it without reading, and be on my way.

One does not even have to click on each thread; one can read the interesting ones and then click to "mark all read", if the flow is such one can get through most posts most days.

I have a bazillion responses left in my replies list because the CHE fora got too big to read everything everyday and I ended up with months where I could do little or no reading.  At some point, I just stopped looking at the "new replies to your posts" list as being far less relevant than "unread posts since last visit".

In the past month, the CHE list of "unread posts since last visit" has tended to be very small.  Even when I'm away for a couple days, the number of threads having new posts may be less than a dozen.  Time was, overnight would result in a good dozen active threads to read the next day.

aside

Never understood the issue as a big deal.

M.

Oh well, different strokes, and all that.

namazu

Maybe this fits better in the "Things You Want to Tell People" thread, but I'm entertained that two early joiners of The Fora were "notmycircus" and "Release the Monkeys!".  :)

aside

Quote from: namazu on June 20, 2019, 01:41:40 PM
Maybe this fits better in the "Things You Want to Tell People" thread, but I'm entertained that two early joiners of The Fora were "notmycircus" and "Release the Monkeys!".  :)

This fits very well on this thread.

mamselle

When will the gloves come off?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

aside

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

--Napoleon Bonaparte

aside

If your father's ancestry did not go back that far, then from whence would he have come?

glowdart

I may be tempting the bots, but the lack of spam is pretty rad.