News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

A roadrunner (same one?) graced our patio again outside my office window.  This time, it fell into the same trap as all the other birds out there.  I guess my office window has a mirror effect during most of the day.  Many birds like to sit on our loveseat and peck at the window, or they fly into it, or what have you.  I usually take pictures of them but had to go out and tell the road runner to scram.  Its beak was like nails on a chalkboard.    There were three little baby birds out there last week, and one was trying to gnaw on the screen.  Who knows.

nebo113

Quote from: ab_grp on September 01, 2020, 03:36:53 PM
A roadrunner (same one?) graced our patio again outside my office window.  This time, it fell into the same trap as all the other birds out there.  I guess my office window has a mirror effect during most of the day.  Many birds like to sit on our loveseat and peck at the window, or they fly into it, or what have you.  I usually take pictures of them but had to go out and tell the road runner to scram.  Its beak was like nails on a chalkboard.    There were three little baby birds out there last week, and one was trying to gnaw on the screen.  Who knows.

In the past, two hummingbirds, at different times, flew beak first into window screens.....and got stuck.  As I stood there like an idiot, they backed themselves out.

ab_grp

Quote from: nebo113 on September 03, 2020, 05:47:18 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on September 01, 2020, 03:36:53 PM

In the past, two hummingbirds, at different times, flew beak first into window screens.....and got stuck.  As I stood there like an idiot, they backed themselves out.

That gave me a much needed chuckle to picture! Birds are not the smartest sometimes.  I will never forget the one that decided to slam into the window on my left and nearly startle me right off of my chair.  Bad timing, as a very loud amber alert and just exploded on my phone from my right.  That was some very unneeded excitement in the span of about 2 seconds.

There was a little teenage bunny out back yesterday.  It always makes me laugh to see them freeze as though we won't see them if they're not in motion right in the middle of the yard.  They are so skittish! Luckily, they usually settle down and get back to their grassy meals. 

apl68

Yesterday a tiny lizard that we've been seeing out around the staff entrance was observed nosing around the door handle.  Almost like it was trying to break in.  I thought we could trust lizards better than that!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Parasaurolophus

Tiny dead garter snake today. Also a dead mouse or shrew being devoured by wasps.
I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

Saw a deer on the side of the road as I was driving home from work last night. It was after 8 pm and already dark. (Seems like it's getting darker earlier nowadays) Fortunately there was a nearby street light so I could spot the deer. Just be on the look out for 'em at night; there won't always be a street light or lights from neighbors' houses.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on September 03, 2020, 09:21:07 AM
Yesterday a tiny lizard that we've been seeing out around the staff entrance was observed nosing around the door handle.  Almost like it was trying to break in.  I thought we could trust lizards better than that!

Glossie Fink-Nottle!

Alas, we knew you well...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Big, loud neighbor dog
With a voice that shakes the ground
Why do you bark so?
I'm picking my own flowers
On my own side of the fence

apl68

The flowers are gardenias.  Both of my gardenia bushes have now flowered three times this year.  I've only ever known them to do it once a year before.  My yard, house, and office all smell like gardenias now!  It's delightful.  And I've had some to give to staff members.

I don't know why they're doing so well.  I guess something about the combination of alternating wet and dry spells this summer has resulted in optimum conditions for them.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on September 07, 2020, 02:52:14 PM
Quote from: apl68 on September 03, 2020, 09:21:07 AM

Glossie Fink-Nottle!

Alas, we knew you well...

M.

Just for the uninitiated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwIDgUp2S2E

Betcha can't watch just one....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Yes, the Drones and their associated genetic affiliates are a species all their own...

;--}

M.

apl68

And the gardenias just keep coming!  I normally don't see them after early summer, and now I've got them in the middle of September.  I'm not complaining--but it is weird.

hmaria1609

Quote from: apl68 on September 14, 2020, 07:52:09 AM
And the gardenias just keep coming!  I normally don't see them after early summer, and now I've got them in the middle of September.  I'm not complaining--but it is weird.
Snap a few photos of them while they're in bloom!  It'll make for a fun story to tell down the road.

Parasaurolophus

A doe and a fawn came up to the door just now. That was nice!
I know it's a genus.