News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Essay or Short Answer Exams

Started by HigherEd7, March 08, 2020, 03:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

I was wondering how many essay or short answer questions would you give students on an online exam? Also, how much time would you give for each question and how much would each question be worth?

Parasaurolophus

For a regular online "homework quizzes", I give them one or two shortish answer questions worth about 20%. For more significant assessments, like a midterm or final exam, I give them essay questions in additon to the short answer questions, multiple choice, t/f, etc. I usually give them three or four essays questions and ask them to answer two, for about 35%-50% of the final grade on the exam.

Honestly, the number of questions I'd give would be a function of the significance of the assessment, the relevance of the material (not every class lends itself to essay questions, for example), and the number of items I'd be left to grade at the end. That last one is pretty important. I always try to minimize my grading time (within the range of what's pedagogically acceptable, of course).
I know it's a genus.

HigherEd7

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 08, 2020, 03:37:48 PM
For a regular online "homework quizzes", I give them one or two shortish answer questions worth about 20%. For more significant assessments, like a midterm or final exam, I give them essay questions in additon to the short answer questions, multiple choice, t/f, etc. I usually give them three or four essays questions and ask them to answer two, for about 35%-50% of the final grade on the exam.

Honestly, the number of questions I'd give would be a function of the significance of the assessment, the relevance of the material (not every class lends itself to essay questions, for example), and the number of items I'd be left to grade at the end. That last one is pretty important. I always try to minimize my grading time (within the range of what's pedagogically acceptable, of course).

Great points as always grading can be time-consuming and very subjective.

Hegemony

No essay or short answer items on exams. Design separate writing assignments where they can actually put some time and work into them. It's also hard to design short answer questions that require analytic thinking and cannot be googled for the answer. Since many classes will also have separate writing assignments, putting this kind of question on an online exam just gives you more grading headaches.

downer

OP, all this asking for advice is a pretty good idea. But ultimately you need to experiment on your own, seeing what works for you. Nothing is perfect. Some students learn well, some don't. Some cheat, and sometimes you detect it. Some approaches are time efficient, some are time consuming. Start simple and build on that experience.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Aster

An item to consider with online assessment is that many students are choosing to do their work on substandard electronic devices.

Like their smartphones. And low-end tablet computers.

Yes, that's right, they're doing their homework on those little tiny toy computers with the 4-5 inch screens and no keyboard. Heck, researchers have been tracking students attempting to write essays and reports with their smartphones and garbage tablets.

So that's a thing to consider when developing your online assessment strategy. People who make poor very poor choices with their electronic tech.

There are so many shortfalls and no-no's in attempting to do one's homework online with a tiny-sized device that we could start a whole other thread on it.

mamselle

Go for it. (Starting another thread).

That could be an interesting discussion.

(Besides, I'm tired of flipping between 6 different coronavirus threads when I tried to get them compiled at the outset.  It would be nice to read something else!!)

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

HigherEd7

I enjoy readings your posts you have a way with words! :)

Quote from: mamselle on March 10, 2020, 08:03:50 AM
Go for it. (Starting another thread).

That could be an interesting discussion.

(Besides, I'm tired of flipping between 6 different coronavirus threads when I tried to get them compiled at the outset.  It would be nice to read something else!!)

;--}

M.