News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

WIWICS:

"When someone fixes a messy document you sent out to reflect a more professional standard for appearance and brevity (like, a 1-page job description instead of a 3-page mess with lists, half-finished sentences taken from your meeting notes, etc.) you adopt it.

"Don't add more stuff, don't try to cram a bunch of half-formed ideas about directions we might want to take but don't yet exist in there...you'll scare away all the applicants!

"Just say "thanks" and send it out.

"P.S., I'm not re-editing it."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

No, flexibility in the face of Covid-19 does NOT mean "throw out all standards and just give out grades like candy", but thanks for putting that in writing so I can notify the Dean.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

FishProf

[Double post, different days, OK?)

If you aren't able to calculate the  grade you need in Calculus in order to just barely meet the 2.0 minimum GPA to graduate, you shouldn't graduate.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

AmLitHist

Quote from: FishProf on April 07, 2020, 11:32:18 AM
[Double post, different days, OK?)

If you aren't able to calculate the  grade you need in Calculus in order to just barely meet the 2.0 minimum GPA to graduate, you shouldn't graduate.

I always think the same thing about my accounting and nursing students.

nescafe

Don't post about your weird skin conditions on my Facebook page, okay? No one wants to read that shit.

hmaria1609

Thanks, just thanks! A month of time typing this up I can't get back...

mamselle

Quote from: hmaria1609 on April 10, 2020, 03:29:42 PM
Thanks, just thanks! A month of time typing this up I can't get back...

Oh, no. Sorry that has happened. I've had a couple of those happen, too.

No fun.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fishbrains

If you tell us that the best meal you have ever eaten came from a Cracker Barrel restaurant, you can't--in the same sentence--describe yourself as a "picky eater."

Just sayin'.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

AmLitHist

<Re:  IRL situation>

If you're in that bad a shape, remove yourself from the situation (leave of absence, whatever) and either get better and come back, or find something else that you can handle. 

People are not out to get you. You're sucking the life out of everybody around you, so no, we're not particularly invested in wanting to keep trying, especially when no matter how nice we are and how sincerely we try to help, all you can do is bitch about us. If you're feeling like people don't care, you're right, and you've brought it on yourself.

Nearly all of us have been/are going through similar mental, family, and health issues as you--and for some of us, way worse. You just don't know about a lot of them (because you're too busy wallowing).  And when you do know, and continue to make a--hole comments to and about us, why, yes, you absolutely have lost the right to any sympathy and help we've done our best to extend to you.

TL; DR version:

Stop acting like we're all cold-hearted monsters. If you want people to care and help you, try not being such a childish, self-centered jackass when we do. And don't expect us to care and help anymore--we're done.

paultuttle

I am at home working.

This doesn't mean that I somehow magically have more, extra, or additional time. I am merely doing my normal job but from a different location.

the_geneticist

Quote from: fishbrains on April 11, 2020, 12:15:00 PM
If you tell us that the best meal you have ever eaten came from a Cracker Barrel restaurant, you can't--in the same sentence--describe yourself as a "picky eater."

Just sayin'.

Sure they can!  Picky doesn't mean that they like GOOD food.  They like all of their food to be bland, squishy, and salty. 
I've eaten at a Cracker Barrel once and had a memorably disappointing bowl of chicken soup.

fishbrains

Shoot the messenger if you want regarding your poor writing effort. I will note, however, that Grammarly or a competent 4th grader could have pointed out the same problems.

And, hey, I'm a composition instructor: Reading and editing . . .  it's kind of what I do. 
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

fishbrains

Quote from: the_geneticist on April 14, 2020, 09:25:24 AM
Quote from: fishbrains on April 11, 2020, 12:15:00 PM

Just sayin'.

Sure they can!  Picky doesn't mean that they like GOOD food.  They like all of their food to be bland, squishy, and salty. 
I've eaten at a Cracker Barrel once and had a memorably disappointing bowl of chicken soup.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .

ab_grp

I am starting to suspect that some random group of monkeys* designed this study, developed the study instruments, collected the data, and then created the "analysis plan."**  One more example of why it is not so fun to "play in everyone's backyard."  Good freaking grief. 

Note to self: remember to remove some of my comments to myself from the programming code before sharing it with those to whom I would say/shout the above.

*No offense meant to monkeys.
**If I could defenestrate a Word document, I would.  I guess I could print it out and do so, or burn it in effigy, or both, or something.

San Joaquin

I hear your pain...hitting the delete key repeatedly just lacks the same panache.

Mine:  you took ten times longer than anyone ever has to finish that process and now you are going to get all pissy because it took an extra two hours to find a substitution for one item?

(Clearly working form home is not this person's peak environment...)