News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Some of my colleagues were disappointed that you were chosen as chair, so soon after being hired. They worried that you didn't have the institutional savvy and experience to be effective in dealing with higher admin. And maybe they're right. But I must say, from where I sit, you're doing an outstanding job.

mamselle

^Unrelated.

I'm doing research on this site, and no, I don't have a family tree I want to share, or anything else.

STOP peppering me with Pop-ups!!!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sinenomine

Sending emails at 4:30 in the morning doesn't make you look dedicated — it makes you look neurotic.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

No, I don't want to talk to you now "just because we both have the website up."

No-one asked you to review it, and I work for the Exec. Director, not the board members.

And playing the "Gotcha!" game at 8 AM on a Zoom call with other things on the agenda is not cool.

I don't like being ambushed.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

I am happy to do the commiseration dance with you about how bad upper admin's guidance was last spring, but I'm not joining in with my heart. Honestly--they could have done so much worse, and it was so clear they were working really hard to cope appropriately, that I actually don't think they deserve what you're dishing out. Everything was weird and confused then, but look where we are now: all grad students will get extensions on their submission deadlines, and all classes that can't maintain 6-foot distancing are being conducted online, with lots of new tools and training being made available to everyone. Really, not just compared to our peers but compared to my expectations of appropriate resopnses, I feel like our university has done a pretty great job adapting.

But, with exactly the same sincerity that I put into my, "fine, thanks, how are you?"s, I agree: SO VERY SURPRISING that the admin's guidance back in April was unclear and inconsistent! Well, y'know, what can you expect? They must have been taking their cues from the government. tsk tsk.

Vkw10

After all the confusion and uncertainty, fall semester is starting fairly well. People are still anxious, but most are trying hard to follow guidelines. The weird hybrid classes seem to be working. We might just make it through the entire semester.

(Actually, it's working better than I expected, but based on the groups of unmasked students I see walking about as I leave campus every day, I expect cases to skyrocket next week.)
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on September 02, 2020, 06:46:19 AM
No, I don't want to talk to you now "just because we both have the website up."

No-one asked you to review it, and I work for the Exec. Director, not the board members.

And playing the "Gotcha!" game at 8 AM on a Zoom call with other things on the agenda is not cool.

I don't like being ambushed.

M.

And after all that...

Be careful when you hit "Reply All" that you know everyone who's on the distribution list.

I just figured out what you're up to. Consistent....and oh, so cute.

It burns me...but that's OK, I have some options of my own, too...

M.

alto_stratus

"Watch me - and don't let me put honey in the fridge." zzzzzzzzzzzzz

"People, we need to figure this $h!t out. I'm tired of going round and round. It's ridiculous."

fishbrains

For shizzle. Just don't talk. Just STFU, nod, and smile. It's okay to be quiet and listen. Just shhhhhhhhhhhhh . . .
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

FishProf

You're making your point loud and clear.

It's neither the point you think you are making, nor is it one your meant to make.

But it is clear.  And it is loud.

We appreciate you removing all doubt.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

hmaria1609

To patron: You've been coming in everyday. We have the same conversation about what we can and can't do for you on the public computers. If you don't like what you're hearing, go to another branch.

apl68

Yes, we're glad to take a look at your donated books and put them in the book sale room if we can use them.  Just know that if they were published before dirt was invented we probably won't be able to use them.

Especially if they look and feel like they've spent a few years buried in the dirt.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

polly_mer

Quote from: apl68 on September 09, 2020, 02:40:00 PM
Yes, we're glad to take a look at your donated books and put them in the book sale room if we can use them.  Just know that if they were published before dirt was invented we probably won't be able to use them.

Especially if they look and feel like they've spent a few years buried in the dirt.

I have bought those books, but always as part of a 'purchase by mass' excellent deal.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

nescafe

I don't know, GradStudent. If someone told me I could have $500 for submitting a working paper in my field, I wouldn't decline the opportunity just because I didn't want to write a 200-word abstract today. Maybe it's just me.

San Joaquin

I don't report to you.  Therefore, you trying to run my operations is perhaps not going to be popular.