News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Goodbye, Cruel Fora

Started by writingprof, February 21, 2021, 11:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writingprof

Friends, it has been a pleasure to commiserate and argue with you these many years. I joined the old fora in 2009 or so, if memory serves, and it would be difficult to overstate how helpful this community has been as I have moved through my career. They say that what one does online isn't "real life," but I have many happy memories of this place (and the old place) that suggest otherwise. I will miss it.

With love (and a bit of hate, for one or two of you),

Writingprof

Ruralguy

OK,

May I ask what has brought this on? I think you and I may have gotten into it once or twice,
but I sort of don't mind in general if a bunch of people are sitting around commenting on stuff or in ways I don't agree with.

nebo113

Quote from: writingprof on February 21, 2021, 11:21:14 AM
Friends, it has been a pleasure to commiserate and argue with you these many years. I joined the old fora in 2009 or so, if memory serves, and it would be difficult to overstate how helpful this community has been as I have moved through my career. They say that what one does online isn't "real life," but I have many happy memories of this place (and the old place) that suggest otherwise. I will miss it.

Writingprof

Please have Mahoganny accompany you.

downer

So.
Farewell then
writingprof

You are leaving
the fora.
So you say.

You were known for
your politics.

My friend Keith's mum
said you were a good laugh.
She will miss you.

Writing is good.
Hope you do
more good writing
prof.

EJ Tribb (17 1/2)
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

Is this an answer to 'where do republicans go from here?'

Quote from: nebo113 on February 22, 2021, 05:29:16 AM

Writingprof

one thing I can tell you about liberals. They don't like diversity.

eigen

Quote from: mahagonny on February 22, 2021, 07:59:51 AM

Writingprof

Yes, that's the takeaway. This is about those bad "liberals" who don't want "diversity".
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Descartes

Quote from: eigen on February 22, 2021, 09:07:04 AM

Writingprof

Yes, that's the takeaway. This is about those bad "liberals" who don't want "diversity".

He's not wrong though ...

eigen

Quote from: Descartes on February 22, 2021, 10:17:14 AM

Writingprof

It's such a ridiculously hyperbolic generalization that it is, in fact, wrong. Not to mention that it has zero connection to the discussion here.
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

clean

QuoteFriends, it has been a pleasure to commiserate and argue with you these many years. I joined the old fora in 2009 or so, if memory serves, and it would be difficult to overstate how helpful this community has been as I have moved through my career. They say that what one does online isn't "real life," but I have many happy memories of this place (and the old place) that suggest otherwise. I will miss it.

Writingprof

Glad that it served you well.  But as with many things, once the usefulness has passed, it is time to move on! 

The good news is that there is no deposit or minimum usage required. You can return if you choose later, perhaps.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Ruralguy

I know I'm missing something.

Has someone been cancelled over moronic posts?

If so, should I worry?

Descartes

Quote from: eigen on February 22, 2021, 10:19:02 AM

Writingprof

It's such a ridiculously hyperbolic generalization that it is, in fact, wrong. Not to mention that it has zero connection to the discussion here.

It has been so well documented that it doesn't need citation that people who dare to question liberal or leftist orthodoxy are often "canceled" because their very conversation or contribution to it is deemed dangerous.

I just googled "professor" and mixed it with several hot button social issues of the day and found plenty of examples.

dismalist

Writingprof

Aside from his razor sharp logic, the most endearing attribute of Writingprof's was his humor, a too rare commodity.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

eigen

Quote from: Descartes on February 22, 2021, 11:50:24 AM
Quote from: eigen on February 22, 2021, 10:19:02 AM

Writingprof

It has been so well documented that it doesn't need citation that people who dare to question liberal or leftist orthodoxy are often "canceled" because their very conversation or contribution to it is deemed dangerous.

I just googled "professor" and mixed it with several hot button social issues of the day and found plenty of examples.

Again, a hyperbolic oversimplification. And again, zero connection to the discussion here.

apl68

Quote from: clean on February 22, 2021, 10:52:04 AM
QuoteFriends, it has been a pleasure to commiserate and argue with you these many years. I joined the old fora in 2009 or so, if memory serves, and it would be difficult to overstate how helpful this community has been as I have moved through my career. They say that what one does online isn't "real life," but I have many happy memories of this place (and the old place) that suggest otherwise. I will miss it.

Writingprof

Glad that it served you well.  But as with many things, once the usefulness has passed, it is time to move on! 

The good news is that there is no deposit or minimum usage required. You can return if you choose later, perhaps.

Wait--there's no deposit required to use The Fora?  Then I'm going to have to have a talk with the poster who collected that $300 deposit when I signed up.  Now I'm beginning to have my suspicions about the sign-up fee too....
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

eigen

Quote from: apl68 on February 22, 2021, 01:26:09 PM
Quote from: clean on February 22, 2021, 10:52:04 AM

Writingprof

Wait--there's no deposit required to use The Fora?  Then I'm going to have to have a talk with the poster who collected that $300 deposit when I signed up.  Now I'm beginning to have my suspicions about the sign-up fee too....

Nope, totally legit snack server costs. Don't ask questions....