News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

A Yellow-Rumped Warbler visited our dogwood tree this morning.  I was excited to have been able to identify it, since fall warblers are hard!  We're also getting a lot of house finches.

nebo113

Quote from: cathwen on October 10, 2019, 09:58:36 AM
A Yellow-Rumped Warbler visited our dogwood tree this morning.  I was excited to have been able to identify it, since fall warblers are hard!  We're also getting a lot of house finches.

In my neck of the woods, we often call them "yellow rumps" but in Arizona I heard them referred to as "butter butts." 

backatit

We had a caracara in the yard this morning, which was very cool. DH got a good picture but I don't really have a way to post it.

mamselle

Is Photobucket still around?

We used to post photos 'n' stuff to accounts set up using fora names to preserve pseudonymity...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Quote from: nebo113 on October 15, 2019, 05:48:14 AM
Quote from: mamselle on October 14, 2019, 08:43:09 PM
Quote from: backatit on October 14, 2019, 04:48:14 PM
Yes, that works :).

https://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o526/backatit123/caracara_zps6pqpyjxt.jpg

Cool!

Thanks!

M.

I had to google this bird.  So exciting that you saw it.

Wow!  That's a beautiful bird!  In my part of the country, a "cara cara" is a type of citrus.

nebo113

Cedar waxwings spent a long weekend here, an annual event.

backatit

Quote from: nebo113 on October 16, 2019, 05:32:53 AM
Cedar waxwings spent a long weekend here, an annual event.

They have always been one of my favorite birds. I am not even sure why - I just love seeing them. They are like "not cardinals" to me; like very rare and beautiful cardinals (I love our cardinals but that's our predominant bird here).

Thursday's_Child

Lovely caracara, Backatit!

I haven't had a hummer in the yard for a week, but Nebo's report of cedar waxwings gives me hope that they'll make it to my place soon.  The flood of 'just-passing-through' migrants has slowed.  Now it's time for the 'we'll be here all winter!' folks to start arriving.

nebo113

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on October 16, 2019, 09:57:44 AM
Lovely caracara, Backatit!

I haven't had a hummer in the yard for a week, but Nebo's report of cedar waxwings gives me hope that they'll make it to my place soon.  The flood of 'just-passing-through' migrants has slowed.  Now it's time for the 'we'll be here all winter!' folks to start arriving.

I've still got the "confusing fall warblers" passing through but they generally stay down in the woods, so I am not forced to attempt to ID them....though I do love hearing them.

paultuttle

Earlier this afternoon as I was turning into our driveway, two large dark-brown hawks followed each other into a stand of trees near the other side of the park in front of our house.

The crows and smaller birds nearby were kicking up quite a fuss, and the squirrels and chipmunks were most definitely in hiding, as they were not to be seen.

Thursday's_Child

A hummer - another country cousin who's never seen a feeder - stopped by yesterday & again this morning.  It seems rather late and I'm not entirely sure it was a ruby-throat.  It had a dark patch low on the throat and I couldn't see the white patch near the eye, but it was so fluffed up against the cold that I'm not sure my observations are accurate.  It was very fluffy - nearly a sphere with head, wings and tail!

backatit

I went down back into the woods this afternoon and saw a ton of warblers, and our two resident barred owls (we also have a great horned owl and a screech owl who are less-frequent visitors). The two barred owls were deep in the shade, right up against the trunk of a big oak tree, so I'll likely hear them this evening before they go out to hunt. They alternate between ours' and our neighbors' woods and once this summer when I was in the pool one late in the evening one came and sat on a branch very close to the pool and watched me swim for a really long time. I love the owls.