News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioteacher

I just want a functioning adult in the Oval Office. I am to the point where said adult doesn't even need to be human. An adult race horse would be fine. A police dog has the bonus of being housebroken. Koko, unfortunately, has passed way but she had excellent communication skills and displayed empathy.

Also, no reptiles with limbs need apply. Snakes are fine, but the turtle in the senate has to go. I'm putting my foot down and insisting on vertebrates (most individuals in Congress appear to be invertebrate, likely annelids).

Adult vertebrate with limbs if endothermic and without limbs if ectothermic. Is it too much to ask?

pgher

Quote from: bioteacher on August 14, 2019, 08:02:42 PM
I just want a functioning adult in the Oval Office. I am to the point where said adult doesn't even need to be human. An adult race horse would be fine. A police dog has the bonus of being housebroken. Koko, unfortunately, has passed way but she had excellent communication skills and displayed empathy.

Also, no reptiles with limbs need apply. Snakes are fine, but the turtle in the senate has to go. I'm putting my foot down and insisting on vertebrates (most individuals in Congress appear to be invertebrate, likely annelids).

Adult vertebrate with limbs if endothermic and without limbs if ectothermic. Is it too much to ask?

Yes, it is. Any such being would not want the job.

ergative

Quote from: bioteacher on August 14, 2019, 08:02:42 PM

Do fins count? What is your view on fish and sharks?

Also, much as I sympathize with your view on invertebrates, it seems to me that cephalopods might be worth giving a chance. I think a squid or octopus would be very good at wriggling legislation through Republican Senate chokeholds.

bioteacher

I would love cephalopods but was concerned they'd die on land.

waterboy

I think we all can see the trouble our "leaders" get into with two usable limbs (not counting legs)- I can't imagine what they would do with more. Although an octopus might just be bright enough to figure out to keep its tentacles to itself.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

mahagonny

Trump is the only president in my lifetime, and perhaps ever, who likes dictators because they are dictators.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on August 17, 2019, 05:50:43 AM
Trump is the only president in my lifetime, and perhaps ever, who likes dictators because they are dictators.

Nonsense. FDR admired Stalin and greatly preferred him to Churchill, as even friendly biographies make clear.

mahagonny

Quote from: writingprof on August 17, 2019, 06:30:32 AM

Nonsense. FDR admired Stalin and greatly preferred him to Churchill, as even friendly biographies make clear.

I didn't live through FDR and i'm no historian. You'd know better than me.
I guess we can be hypocritical. We can say we don't like dictators and then team up with them when our interests intersect. We can still read 'Yertle The Turtle' to our kids. But how can you see Donald Trump reading 'Yertle The Turtle' to a kid? I can't.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on August 17, 2019, 08:34:35 AM
Quote from: writingprof on August 17, 2019, 06:30:32 AM

I didn't live through FDR and i'm no historian. You'd know better than me.
I guess we can be hypocritical. We can say we don't like dictators and then team up with them when our interests intersect. We can still read 'Yertle The Turtle' to our kids. But how can you see Donald Trump reading 'Yertle The Turtle' to a kid? I can't.

I despise Trump, but his ability to read 'Yertle the Turtle' to children is, in my humble opinion, largely irrelevant. 

mahagonny

Sorry if i seemed to post a flip question. I meant that Americans, true or not, see themselves as opposing dictatorship on principle whereas Trump just thinks it's cool when someone has the bluster and know how to be a big shot and runs things.If we start thinking more like he does, things are changing.

mahagonny

Sorry I hate post two in a row. And I don't love one-on-one face-offs but I need to finish the thought.

I should have just said I couldn't vote for Trump now if he brought gasoline back down to 30 cents a gallon, because, for example, I think he's a pervert. And I would be amazed if he never availed himself of Epstein's minors for hire island, given what I've seen already.

But I appreciate your strictness. I see what bothered you about my post. Technically, I made an assertion without backing it up. And it's true Jimmy Carter certainly sounded like he admired the Shah of Iran, but it seems more like he thought he had to pretend he did. Whereas, many of us think Trump is fascinated by dictators because the thought of rule for life makes his dick hard. He's already making noises about being in office beyond eight years. And that he would think a story like 'Yertle The Turtle' gives a bum rap to strong, successful people. But these are things I feel in the gut without proving. So enough from me for now! Cheers.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mahagonny on August 17, 2019, 07:10:17 PM

I should have just said I couldn't vote for Trump now if he brought gasoline back down to 30 cents a gallon, because, for example, I think he's a pervert. And I would be amazed if he never availed himself of Epstein's minors for hire island, given what I've seen already.

There was a lawsuit against him a few years ago, alleging rape and abuse of a child at several of Epstein's parties in the early/mid-nineties. You can read more about it (contemporaneously) here. An earlier suit was dropped because she couldn't afford to sue; later suits were dropped after she claimed to have been threatened.
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Quote from: Anselm on August 14, 2019, 01:08:26 PM
Do we have any serious third party spoilers this time around?
Not yet.  I tend to vote other parties and it's just sad at the moment.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Bede the Vulnerable

Quote from: polly_mer on August 25, 2019, 05:35:45 PM

I'm a member of a sad little third party.  And yet I will be voting for the Democrat this time.  Whoever he/she/it is.  (I voted Hillary last time:  Trump will do that to you.)

But here's the inside dope from our nanoparty:  We won't be tipping the election one way or the other.  (Shhh.  I'm not supposed to tell.)
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

polly_mer

Quote from: Bede the Vulnerable on August 26, 2019, 01:17:10 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on August 25, 2019, 05:35:45 PM

I'm a member of a sad little third party.  And yet I will be voting for the Democrat this time.  Whoever he/she/it is.  (I voted Hillary last time:  Trump will do that to you.)

But here's the inside dope from our nanoparty:  We won't be tipping the election one way or the other.  (Shhh.  I'm not supposed to tell.)

I'm a registered member of a very frustrating party that could do something, has been poised to do something multiple times, and then acts as though every election is a fresh start instead of building on previous successes to have a solid stable of candidates with experience and name-recognition.  Why aren't we running people who have a shot like a couple ex-governors or people who have held national-level or state-level cabinet positions?  But noooooo, let's run some young punks who aren't even names in their own states and let them harp on the far-out talking points instead of the more centrist ideas that got those ex-governors elected and made the state-level cabinet holders moderately popular.

I always vote for whom I want to win because I don't believe in "you only really have two choices on this big slate of candidates, so vote for the lesser evil".  I am, though, casting a broader net this year and have my fingers crossed for a few democratic candidates who would be good enough if they get that far.  Just once I'd like to vote for the winning president to find out what that feels like.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!