News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Halloween Plans?

Started by clean, October 26, 2020, 03:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

Just took my dog for a walk and saw several houses with fun decorations - not as many as usual, but still glad to see some people getting into the spirit. 

We're going out for dinner and some drinks tonight with a few friends (sitting outside and social distancing).

namazu

Our neighborhood had trick-or-treating almost as usual.  The neighborhood Facebook group polled people in advance, and it looked like a lot of people were planning to spread out candy on a table for kids to pick up.  Some neighbors made candy chutes with PVC pipe.  Others planned to throw candy at the kids from a distance. 

Because we have a new-ish baby, we didn't go around the neighborhood, though I'd have liked to see people's candy chutes in action.  We have several professional engineers and a lot of fun, creative people in the neighborhood.

We attached a fake foot to a long cardboard tube and covered the cardboard with a pair of khaki pants.  Whenever someone rang the bell, the door opened slightly and the leg emerged, with small goody bags hanging from the toes for the taking.  We also put LED flickering candles along the front walkway as usual.

hmaria1609

The kids and their parents were out in full force trick or treating earlier this evening. Many folks put tables in their driveways (or front stoop) and kids could help themselves. Plenty of fire pits to be enjoyed!  One guy hosted a party of invited fellow neighbors in his driveway.
The kids had to start earlier this year but it looks like everyone had a good time.

I dug out my DVD of "Peanuts" holiday collection and watched "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" :)

aside

We put out a bowl of candy, but had no takers this year.

mahagonny

There was some lady in the news recently who kept a dummy (dead man made of cloth) lying on her front lawn starting around October 15. People freaked out when they saw it. She had a blast.

polly_mer

We put out a box with baggies of candy and brought back in nearly the whole thing.  Most years we give out about five pounds of candy and several toys.

I dearly hope that the grocery store is sold out of discount candy by Friday's weekly trip.  They still had discount candy last Friday so we have the five pounds that were bagged up two weeks ago to put out, the five pounds from Friday for us, and then the regular candy we just keep around.

I miss vegetables.

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

ab_grp

We never get trick or treaters in our neighborhood.  There are no sidewalks or street lights, driveways are long, and the neighborhood is mostly retired people.   I know from the local FB pages that lots of people were still planning to go out despite the rising infection numbers and governor's guidelines (I don't think they were orders but were sternly worded).  My mother typically gets more trick or treaters than she would prefer but put the candy down at curbside and didn't have any incidents this year.  Turning off your lights is supposed to be a sign that you are no longer handing out candy, I think, but some don't seem to know that.  Youngest was planning to go to a friend's house for a party with 3 friends, but her boyfriend and his family tested positive, and though her tests have been negative she has had some symptoms, so they cancelled that event, thankfully.  Just not a good time to take chances given the circumstances in my state and county.  I am not a huge fan of Halloween myself, but my oldest and youngest, my ex, and a couple friends just love it, so I feel bad for those who didn't get to have their usual fun this year.

spork

The wife and I made a six-hour round trip drive to another state to visit my mother. She lives in a retirement home and I had not seen her since February. The visit was supposed to be for one hour, with masks, socially distant, indoors in a common room without any other occupants. When we arrived we discovered some confusion among retirement home employees. Our home state is now on the "not safe" list and, not having been informed of the need to get a Covid-19 test within 72 hours of our arrival, our visit was limited to fifteen minutes outdoors. 

Still a far better Halloween than a year ago, when a physician telephoned me after I had had a simple blood test the day before as part of an initial appointment. The physician said "Go to the ER now. You're in danger of cardiac arrhythmia." I spent six hours in the ER on a cardiac monitor while getting an infusion, and the rest of the night in the hospital for observation.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Cheerful

The visit limitation must have been quite the surprise and disappointment, spork. However, I'm guessing those 15 minutes were precious and meaningful for all of you. Hope the next visit can be much longer.

Admirable how you ended your post on a positive note.  Glad you're well.