News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

I Voted! When will you vote?

Started by clean, October 13, 2020, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Quote from: dismalist on October 13, 2020, 05:35:17 PM
The probability that one's vote will determine the outcome of an election is virtually zero. So why vote?

Makes you feel good! :-)

Tell that to the kid who was one point below the cutoff to get into Harvard.

polly_mer

Quote from: Bonnie on October 13, 2020, 08:30:27 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on October 13, 2020, 08:19:18 PM
Quote from: Bonnie on October 13, 2020, 07:44:16 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on October 13, 2020, 06:00:57 PM
The choice is between ridiculous and more ridiculous.

The choice is between milquetoast who may get us ever so slightly back on track of not being totally f***ed and a fascist.

No, the choice is between the milquetoast who will make us even worse off because he's so damn weak on defense and international relations and the guy who is failing on other areas that government should do, but is ok on defense that must be done at the federal level.

Ballots were dropped off with the county clerk this morning.

I'm very confused by Trump as ok on defense. Very, very, very confused. His finances alone make him a national security threat.

I work in defense and therefore keep a steady eye on international events, priorities for the US military, and known threats as publicly raised by the US State department.  Trump's finances as an international business person are not at all a national security threat at the level of what Biden did as vice president nor what Biden supported as policy while he was vice-president nor what Biden has proposed as plans.

Trump's record on supporting areas I'm particularly watching is far, far better than Biden's, but people who only follow the mass media in the US/Canada/UK won't see the necessary information.

How long was Trump's major accomplishment in the Middle East this year in those outlets as a top story?  Half a day?  A couple hours?

Things that are more alarming, but less accessible to the general public seldom if ever make the mass media.

The actual enemies of the US have terrible human rights records.  We're still digging out from bad decisions under the Obama administration where the focus seemed to be on being nice instead of anything that contributes to maintaining defensive advantage in an increasingly unstable world situation where Russia is only one player.

Unlike many government actions that can be ameliorated by states or NGOs, if we fail on defense, then we're all screwed...well, those of us who are at least middle-class in current modern America.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

onehappyunicorn

First day of early voting is tomorrow, I will probably go on Friday afternoon.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: polly_mer on October 14, 2020, 06:29:09 AM
Quote from: Bonnie on October 13, 2020, 08:30:27 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on October 13, 2020, 08:19:18 PM

The choice is between milquetoast who may get us ever so slightly back on track of not being totally f***ed and a fascist.

No, the choice is between the milquetoast who will make us even worse off because he's so damn weak on defense and international relations and the guy who is failing on other areas that government should do, but is ok on defense that must be done at the federal level.

Ballots were dropped off with the county clerk this morning.

I'm very confused by Trump as ok on defense. Very, very, very confused. His finances alone make him a national security threat.

I work in defense and therefore keep a steady eye on international events, priorities for the US military, and known threats as publicly raised by the US State department.  Trump's finances as an international business person are not at all a national security threat at the level of what Biden did as vice president nor what Biden supported as policy while he was vice-president nor what Biden has proposed as plans.

Trump's record on supporting areas I'm particularly watching is far, far better than Biden's, but people who only follow the mass media in the US/Canada/UK won't see the necessary information.

How long was Trump's major accomplishment in the Middle East this year in those outlets as a top story?  Half a day?  A couple hours?

Things that are more alarming, but less accessible to the general public seldom if ever make the mass media.

The actual enemies of the US have terrible human rights records.  We're still digging out from bad decisions under the Obama administration where the focus seemed to be on being nice instead of anything that contributes to maintaining defensive advantage in an increasingly unstable world situation where Russia is only one player.

Unlike many government actions that can be ameliorated by states or NGOs, if we fail on defense, then we're all screwed...well, those of us who are at least middle-class in current modern America.

How do some of the issues mentioned here fit into your calculus?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/10/14/look-stakes-science-presidential-election

mahagonny

If Trump is a fascist he's one of the most hapless unsuccessful ones the world has ever seen. Should we be expecting him to get it in gear at some point?

ergative

I voted a couple of weeks ago, as soon as my absentee ballot arrived.

Ruralguy

Trump committed an act of bio-terrorism on himself and many other high level officials. His total irresponsibility on this front, even separate from his other highly questionable behavior, totally disqualify him as a reputable commander-in-chief.
Adding to this is the seriously irresponsible follow-up behavior of him and his minions at rallies, senate hearings, etc.

Thankfully, none became seriously ill that we know of.

Some other defense related issues that are questionable: pulling out of various countries without really discussing with his staff or the other parties involved (or at least publicly stating so), the building of "space force" (not entirely loony, but seems like questionable use of funds)?

As for the peace deals: So what if a couple of rich Emiratis now get to buy some hotels in Tel Aviv?  Yes, these deals are better than nothing. But those countries were never a serious threat to Israel, except perhaps via funding of some terrorism at times. Nonetheless, you won't get me arguing that it wasn't a positive development, but not a big deal. Of course, being a Trump deal, I am slightly worried that some corruption may be involved. The next president will have to figure that out.

writingprof

Quote from: Ruralguy on October 14, 2020, 08:30:38 AM
Trump committed an act of bio-terrorism on himself and many other high level officials.

This may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

FishProf

Quote from: writingprof on October 14, 2020, 11:38:42 AM
Quote from: Ruralguy on October 14, 2020, 08:30:38 AM
Trump committed an act of bio-terrorism on himself and many other high level officials.

This may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

You need to browse some other threads here, then.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

wareagle

I'm voting in person on Election Day.  There is something about going to the polls in person and exercising your rights that I just don't feel when I mail in a ballot.  I'll be masked up and keeping my distance, but I don't expect that many people to actually vote in person so I'm not anticipating a crowd.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

wellfleet

I voted last week (via drop box), have gotten confirmation that the county elections board has received and will count my ballot, and I'll be a poll worker on election day.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

clean

QuoteI'm voting in person on Election Day.  There is something about going to the polls in person and exercising your rights that I just don't feel when I mail in a ballot.

Early voting is not mail in voting. 
I voted (in person) yesterday using the same sort of machine that will be used at the regular polling places on election day. I m sure that the very machine I used will be moved to a regular polling place after early voting ends.  My precinct is at an elementary school, and they are not doing early voting there, so I voted at the university, (an early voting site, but not a regular polling precinct). 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

wareagle

Mail-in is my only "early" option.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

cathwen

Voting early, in person, as clean has done, is exactly what I would choose if it were an option in my state.  As it is, I will be going in person on November 3.  Our polling place is never crowded, so I'm hoping the same will be true this time. I'll wear mask and gloves. 

My daughter and her partner dropped off their ballots at the county election office yesterday.  She had the clerk double-check the signature because she was afraid there would be some small discrepancy that would cause them to reject the ballot.  But it matched, and she watched as the clerk marked it okay.

ab_grp

We are being encouraged to submit an absentee vote due to the dangerous increase in the infection rate.  We ordered our ballots, and I think they arrived late last night and are sitting out in the cluster box ready to be filled out and mailed back.  If they're not received in time, we'll go vote in person.  I'm not very happy with the voter information and portal, but we will get our votes in and counted.