News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congratulations, cathwen!!

Predictably, I am now suffering at the hands of the other daily puzzles.  At least I have a few LB contenders and managed to (eventually) solve the medium sudoku.  Haven't tried hard yet.  Wish I didn't have a 1.5 hr call scheduled this afternoon.  Priorities!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on February 24, 2021, 08:46:17 AM
Good morning!

Good news first: I just got to QB.  It was a strange path.  I was really struggling even to get to genius, got there but no pangram, then stuff started coming and whammo.  Good luck! Nothing too tough or unfamiliar in there, I think. 

Thanks, ab_grp, for the above. I persevered, making it to QB. I kept trying archillian, but no luck.

Congrats y'all QBs and two-fers. I'm still stuck in LB.

Aargh for autocorrect. Just saw that Sarah (damn autocorrect--that was 'aargh', not Sarah or earth). I give up, it's beyond frustrating typing on the Kindle.

ab_grp

Woohoo! Congrats, Langue_doc.  I had to play around for a while to get the pangram.  I thought I was on the right track with two different roots, and it ended up that I was with the one, but I needed a little more work on it.  My final word was kind of dumb, considering, but that's the way the bee buzzes.  And I get the frustration with the Kindle typing.  It's why I don't post much in the evenings when I'm on my phone!

No luck for me in LB yet either, and my call has delayed my starting the hard sudoku, plus I still need to Duolingo.  I will probably alternate between LB and Spanish and save the sudoku for tomorrow when I can take my time and enjoy it more.

Langue_doc

Morning!

113 today on the bee, all familiar words. My last word yesterday was 'archaic', a word I should have found earlier as I've been using all week. LB--misjudge and exact.

ab_grp, you got me interested in Duolingo. Progress so far: I know the list of languages on their website. The part I hate most in any program: coming up with a username and a password.

Happy solving, all.

ciao_yall

Morning! Looks like everyone is off to a running start!

Yesterday wasn't coming together for me, so with a little help I achieved genius and a 2fer.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Congratulations on getting so far on today's SB, Langue_doc!  I'm a little beyond genius but below Beta. 

But today's LB is not coming along very well at all!  Yesterday I got the "official" answer, but today I am flummoxed. At least, so far!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I'm at 133 today, so I'm close to Alpha but not there yet.  Chai was my last word yesterday.  I kept thinking maybe there was something with arachn- but no.  But anarch- finally worked out. 

Congrats on the 2fers yesterday! I was not close.  I thought about JUDGE later in the evening but didn't get further with it.  I am not optimistic about today's if cathwen is having trouble with it!

Hope you enjoy Duolingo, Langue_doc.  I picked my username five years ago and cannot remember why I chose it. 

Still have to do hard sudoku from yesterday and then today's.

Have fun!

ab_grp

Just an update to say that I have not found even one more word since this morning.  Still two points from Alpha! Husband came from behind and passed me and is now at 140, so there is hope.  Has any one else had any luck?

Still making feeble attempts at the LB, but no success there yet.  All the b4ss issues...

Langue_doc

Sorry to hear that you are stuck, ab_grp. There are three or so compound-type words (one, a medical term), one that looks like a proper noun, but is a music-related common noun, and one that is a variation, spelling-wise of another word. It's a solid 150 points today. Good luck, hope you've found a few more words by now.

I don't think I'll make the LB today--a three-fer, bah!

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! And thanks for the tips.  I will keep at it! I only have one compound word so far.  Hopefully your clues will help! And good luck if you stay with LB.  Wondering if anyone has any luck there...

ab_grp

Update: success! Thank you, Langue_doc! It turned out that I just needed two longish words, and one of your hints got me to the longer of the two.  The other one had a similarity to that one, and I worked out from another of your hints and knowing the first letter after husband and I compared # of words with same first letter.  So you helped us both to get to QB, though impurely.  Still, yay! Thanks again!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on February 25, 2021, 02:58:26 PM
Update: success! Thank you, Langue_doc! It turned out that I just needed two longish words, and one of your hints got me to the longer of the two.  The other one had a similarity to that one, and I worked out from another of your hints and knowing the first letter after husband and I compared # of words with same first letter.  So you helped us both to get to QB, though impurely.  Still, yay! Thanks again!

Woohoo! Congrats. I'm on the Kindle, so have to be frugal with words because of autocorrect.

ciao_yall

SB - Just barely tipped into genius. Kept wanting to try and abbreviated word and finally got a hint from the Crossword Orgy to try the full word. Oy.

LB - Got it. PM if you want a hint. Am watching the Zoom of our Board of Trustees meeting and trying to get a COVID vaccine appointment so not going anywhere.

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall! Thanks for the very helpful hints!

cathwen

Congratulations on the QBs!  I ended up just a little beyond Beta and then lost patience.

But I finally found a 2-fer for today's LB.  Not an easy one today!