Wahoo Redux

Quote from: polly_mer on February 23, 2021, 06:43:33 AM
I'm a hell of a lot more worried about people who are underinformed about:

* risk
* science
* defense
* technology
* basic quantitative reasoning
* the difference between physical laws, emergent behavior in human society, and written laws

than any of the academic foolishness related to the games of being woke or anti-woke.

Stop fooling around in academic games and engage with the education that matters.

Polly you are like the mythical Priestess of Apollo, Cassandra: born with the gift of prophecy but cursed never to be believed. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

eigen

Quote from: mahagonny on February 25, 2021, 12:18:36 PM
Quote from: eigen on February 25, 2021, 12:15:09 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 25, 2021, 10:37:20 AM
Quote from: eigen on February 25, 2021, 09:42:54 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 25, 2021, 08:04:11 AM
One thing I appreciated about Writingprof in contrast to so many in the academic life was his honesty around one particular issue, adjunctification. As with many topics, he hinted that he had thought about it quite a lot, but affected a halfway engaged relationship with the forum, so the posts were terse. (Shades of Prytania2). Yet never as far I as recall would have been niggardly enough to begrudge adjuncts a union (and neither did our old conservative friend Pry). As regards adjunctification, he didn't whine about the defunding of higher education, that discussion being a rationale for vastly increased hiring of part time faculty. Whereas obviously whoever decides to publicly fund higher education does not force anyone thereby to maintain a two-tier labor system of ever widening disparity, and he would have noticed that, and not being on board with much of higher education's particular style of viewing itself as benevolent, just quietly accepted the status quo. The icing on the cake was the mix of cynicism and libertarianism.
And yes, I absolutely believe (do I dare go here?) that legal abortion makes his heart sick. When something quacks and walks like a duck and has feathers and a bill, it's a duck.

It's like an immutable law of the forum. No matter what the starting topic was, you can bring it around to adjunctification and snipe at other users views within a page or less.

Please, I urge you, review the forum guidelines with respect to "baggage" and meditate on what that means.

You've been on this thread six times already and you didn't even like Writingprof. You're more negative than me.

What in the world makes you think I don't like Writingprof? I've never had a problem with them, nor have any of my posts here been directed at them. Nor would they be, since WP hasn't logged in since the original post.

OK. You're saying it. I guess it's my fora duty to take you at your word. I don't recall you ever sticking up for his right to free speech when the mob was calling him a troll and asking others to ignore. I did stick up for him. Which probably only made it worse for him.

I mean, I consider the fact that I pay out of pocket for and manage the platform that he was able to use for his free speech and the fact that I did not restrict his speech to be pretty damn supportive. But I guess that doesn't mean much to you in the scheme of things.

I also support other people's right to free speech, which includes them calling him a troll. And their right to free association through the use of the ignore function. And your right to free speech to stick up for him.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

mahagonny

It means a lot that you pay out of pocket and manage the platform. I hope it's not a lot of money.  It explains why you didn't stick up for Writingprof with words when he was being called a troll, because you were already doing your duty. I wasn't aware you pay out of pocket to keep the fora going. I'm thinking now I might stop coming here, because arguably you should have more control over what is acceptable here, and I doubt I could agree with you on what that would be. May I recommend, in the interest of full disclosure, you name it 'Eigen's Place?'
A group of people labelling someone a troll is free speech and not an illegitimate attempt to evict a poster? I think the jury's still out on that one. Intelligent people can disagree.
on edit: this might be interesting, or maybe not. I used to frequent an online self-labelled conservative group, include many with PhD, where I estimate 50% of the posters here would be called a troll. They don't like diversity either. That's life in the twenty-first century I guess.

Cheerful

More than 1,000 views, woo hoo!  Hello everyone!  May peace prevail in the hearts and minds of all who read this post.

eigen

Quote from: mahagonny on February 25, 2021, 12:45:38 PM
It means a lot that you pay out of pocket and manage the platform. I hope it's not a lot of money.  It explains why you didn't stick up for Writingprof with words when he was being called a troll, because you were already doing your duty. I wasn't aware you pay out of pocket to keep the fora going. I'm thinking now I might stop coming here, because arguably you should have more control over what is acceptable here, and I doubt I could agree with you on what that would be. May I recommend, in the interest of full disclosure, you name it 'Eigen's Place?'
A group of people labelling someone a troll is free speech and not an illegitimate attempt to evict a poster? I think the jury's still out on that one. Intelligent people can disagree.
on edit: this might be interesting, or maybe not. I used to frequent an online self-labelled conservative group, include many with PhD, where I estimate 50% of the posters here would be called a troll. They don't like diversity either. That's life in the twenty-first century I guess.

So... you're upset that I have made a place that the community can use and don't censor people because it might give me too much control if I decided to change how I do things in the future? You're kind of exhausting, sometimes.

You try to do nice things for people....
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

mahagonny

You're upset because you would have me banned, but you're outvoted.
edited to add: I can't write about why I liked Writingprof without offending you. He never misrepresented the soul of higher education by claiming it wants the best for everyone. I considered that refreshing, if nothing more.

Parasaurolophus

Outvoted by whom? eigen has never put the possibility of banning you to a vote, nor has he pushed to ban you.
I know it's a genus.

eigen

Quote from: mahagonny on February 25, 2021, 02:13:21 PM
edited to add: I can't write about why I liked Writingprof without offending you. He never misrepresented the soul of higher education by claiming it wants the best for everyone. I considered that refreshing, if nothing more.

I really appreciate your posts in this thread.

They've been a good reminder of how much some people here value the time and effort I put into maintaining this community (apparently none).

mahagonny

Quote from: eigen on February 25, 2021, 02:45:10 PM

They've been a good reminder of how much some people here value the time and effort I put into maintaining this community (apparently none).

Thank you for funding and running the forum, but I suspect it's not working out for you with me here.

eigen

Quote from: mahagonny on February 25, 2021, 02:53:45 PM

Thank you for funding and running the forum, but I suspect it's not working out for you with me here.

Generally, I have no problem with you here, and have no idea why you think I do. Do I wish you would stop making every thread you enter about you and a particular subset of issues? Yes. Does that mean I think you should be silenced or banned? No.

To be fair, right now I'm pretty pissed because you keep making assumptions about me and accusing me of things despite years of me doing the exact opposite of what you're accusing me of.

mahagonny

Quote from: eigen on February 25, 2021, 03:33:19 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 25, 2021, 02:53:45 PM

Generally, I have no problem with you here, and have no idea why you think I do. Do I wish you would stop making every thread you enter about you and a particular subset of issues? Yes. Does that mean I think you should be silenced or banned? No.

You don't want to hear the terminal adjunct perspective, period.

Ruralguy

I can't say what others want to hear, but I'm willing to listen to many perspectives. But some of us. are just tired of some others with their own relentless limited perspective. But this is largely a free forum. So, keep at it.

clean

By my count, on this thread, Mahagonny has posted 11 of the 42 total posts.  While the posts account for nearly 25% of o the volume, the Value Added is much less significant. 

While i have not yet gone as far as to block him/her, as I havent had the time to deal with it, IF I were to block anyone Mahagonny would, sorry to say be in the top  3 of the list, and frankly I d be hard pressed to identify the other 2 on the list! 

But IF this is Mahagonny's primary form of entertainment, then that is fine with me, and I can skim or skip his/her replies. 

Perhaps in addition to a first post, everyone should be required to read (and pass a test! ) on Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends and Influence.  In addition, perhaps a daily posting limit would also be appropriate as an attempt to encourage self sensorship.

but what do i know? 
The advice is worth twice what you paid for it!! 

Good luck to all, and thanks especially to Eigen for taking the initiative to host the platform!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mahagonny

Quote from: clean on February 25, 2021, 05:06:54 PM
By my count, on this thread, Mahagonny has posted 11 of the 42 total posts.  While the posts account for nearly 25% of o the volume, the Value Added is much less significant. 

While i have not yet gone as far as to block him/her, as I havent had the time to deal with it, IF I were to block anyone Mahagonny would, sorry to say be in the top  3 of the list, and frankly I d be hard pressed to identify the other 2 on the list! 

But IF this is Mahagonny's primary form of entertainment, then that is fine with me, and I can skim or skip his/her replies. 

Perhaps in addition to a first post, everyone should be required to read (and pass a test! ) on Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends and Influence.  In addition, perhaps a daily posting limit would also be appropriate as an attempt to encourage self sensorship.

but what do i know? 
The advice is worth twice what you paid for it!! 

Good luck to all, and thanks especially to Eigen for taking the initiative to host the platform!

Do what you want. Eigen broadsided me with reply #25. i was just trying to explain why I liked Writingprof, which is on topic.
on edit: also, reply #2. I thought we had a rule, don't start a thread attacking other posters.

clean

#12 of 42.
Dont let an opportunity to add nothing slip by! 

And we see that "turn the other cheek" &  "Forgive and Forget" were not lessons learned or practiced. 

Eigen, Tell us again how to 'block' people, please?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader