News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 18, 2020, 06:28:50 PM
A saw-whet owl turned up in the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. The person who found it thought it was a baby owl because of its size. Must be the 2020 variation of the partridge in a pear tree.

Here are the details and pictures from the NY Times and NBC News:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/nyregion/christmas-tree-rockefeller.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tiny-owl-rescued-rockefeller-center-christmas-tree-travelled-170-miles-n1248166

"And a saw-whet owl in a Norway spruce tree" is kind of a mouthful....

Glad they found him in time and were able to nurse him back to health.  That has to have been a nerve-wracking experience.  Maybe even worse than that bat that accidentally hitched a ride on a co-worker's car and rode into work with her one morning.  On the outside of the car.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Langue_doc

I hope the bat lived to tell the tale. I wonder how traumatized birds and animals cope with such stresses.

AmLitHist

The Rockefeller owl is now my computer background.

ALHS said he probably will go back to his home and tell all the other owls, "Guys. . . you're not going to believe this. . . . "

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 19, 2020, 07:20:50 AM
I hope the bat lived to tell the tale. I wonder how traumatized birds and animals cope with such stresses.

Yes, it survived.  When the driver got out of her car at work, she thought she saw a funny-looking leaf wrapped around her car antenna.  Turned out it was that bat.  It had been clinging for dear life on the expressway, in what it probably interpreted as a really sudden and severe windstorm.  After a bit the shock wore off and it went on its way.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

FishProf

He wasn't a stowaway. He was trafficked.

Or owlnapped.

Or something.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Parasaurolophus

I've finally been placed on the salary scale at my institution. I got placed halfway through, which means a $15 000 raise, and I'll go up a step every year I teach a full load for the next five, at which point I'll hit the maximum salary. There may well be a blip year in there somewhere, but it seems quite likely at the moment that I'll have full loads for the next while. But even if not, it's now a pretty decent salary.

Yay!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 25, 2020, 03:54:57 PM
I've finally been placed on the salary scale at my institution. I got placed halfway through, which means a $15 000 raise, and I'll go up a step every year I teach a full load for the next five, at which point I'll hit the maximum salary. There may well be a blip year in there somewhere, but it seems quite likely at the moment that I'll have full loads for the next while. But even if not, it's now a pretty decent salary.

Yay!

Awesome! Congratulations!

aside

Quote from: ab_grp on November 25, 2020, 04:02:12 PM

Yay!

Awesome! Congratulations!

Congratulations!

smallcleanrat

Yay!

Excellent news, Parasaurolophus. Congratulations!

mamselle

Good for you.

From all that appears on the writing and research threads, it would seem that you very richly deserve it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Yay!

Congrats!!!

AmLitHist

SO happy for you, Parasaurolophus!  Congratulations!

Parasaurolophus

Thanks, everyone!

The news today is even better: they made a mistake with my placement on the salary scale. I'm actually a step higher, which means another $3k!

Well. Until I see the tax bill!
I know it's a genus.