News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Adjunct Life

Started by polly_mer, September 10, 2019, 04:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

This is a support thread for those who are adjuncts and need a place to discuss issues pertaining to being an adjunct.

This will be my only post on the thread.  Anyone who wants my comments will have to PM me to get them.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

little bongo

There was a thought about Adjunct Pride being a theme for a thread (or perhaps, this thread), as well as a "there is no need for such a thing" response. Well, I think when discussing adjunct issues, problems, the fighting for the long day, as well as for the people who are quite happy being adjuncts, there is a place for pride. I was an adjunct for a very long time (currently still in academia, not as an adjunct). Sometimes i was proud. What made me proud was having it together enough to do the travel, learn the students' names, and make a real contribution (appreciated and/or acknowledged or not) to the department.

One thing I've learned that a lot of "I'm all right, Jack" folks haven't--"Have you considered leaving your job" is a dumb, thoughtless question, right up there with asking childless couples if they've considered adoption. If we're complaining about the job in some way, shape, or form, then yes, genius, we've thought of leaving. What happens if we leave, and what are we leaving to are much deeper questions.

We have choices to make. Should we try to do a lot of extra work and get on committees, for example? That's not what the adjunct is paid for, that's for sure. But is it a connection, a possible way into "the show"? No answer or group of answers is going to be right for every adjunct, but I think one thing former adjuncts, happy adjuncts, angry adjuncts, pro-union adjuncts and not so pro-union adjuncts all should have in common is Pride. Our situations are different, sometimes weird, and sometimes incredibly taxing with little reward. And we show up. We keep our appointments. We talk to young people and we help them learn. Yes, let's be proud of that.

downer

Hi little bongo (nice name!)

I agree. It makes a lot of sense to take pride in doing a good job.

BTW I've known at least one place where doing service helps getting promotions for adjuncts. I'm not sure how unusual that is.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ciao_yall

Quote from: downer on September 12, 2019, 04:59:02 AM
Hi little bongo (nice name!)

I agree. It makes a lot of sense to take pride in doing a good job.

BTW I've known at least one place where doing service helps getting promotions for adjuncts. I'm not sure how unusual that is.

At my college to transition from PT to FT it's necessary because we need faculty to are willing to participate, not just hide in the classroom.

little bongo

Those are good examples of adjunct choices, with the college or university being helpfully transparent about what a PT adjunct aspiring to a full-time position with the uni is expected to do. Then we can make the choice to make the investment in that university--perhaps cutting another gig at another university, finding something non-academic at odd hours to supplement income until we succeed in getting the FT shot.

In other cases, such a path might not be as clear--an adjunct might consider taking a gamble with additional service in order for something to happen at that university, or at least to get a good reference for another application. If, for one or more reasons, the adjunct has some back-to-back courses each day at different locations, the service option doesn't work as well.

I do object to the phrase "hide in the classroom." Hide? Our classrooms are our stage, our battleground, our students' Point of Contact with Dickens' London, Hamlet's Elsinore, the truth of beauty and the beauty of truth, including the truth of numbers that become buildings, bridges, monuments, and our pathway to space and beyond. We do not hide; we have pride.

mahagonny

Quote from: little bongo on September 12, 2019, 09:54:11 AM
Those are good examples of adjunct choices, with the college or university being helpfully transparent about what a PT adjunct aspiring to a full-time position with the uni is expected to do. Then we can make the choice to make the investment in that university--perhaps cutting another gig at another university, finding something non-academic at odd hours to supplement income until we succeed in getting the FT shot.

In other cases, such a path might not be as clear--an adjunct might consider taking a gamble with additional service in order for something to happen at that university, or at least to get a good reference for another application. If, for one or more reasons, the adjunct has some back-to-back courses each day at different locations, the service option doesn't work as well.

I do object to the phrase "hide in the classroom." Hide? Our classrooms are our stage, our battleground, our students' Point of Contact with Dickens' London, Hamlet's Elsinore, the truth of beauty and the beauty of truth, including the truth of numbers that become buildings, bridges, monuments, and our pathway to space and beyond. We do not hide; we have pride.

We're also the first professors the students have, and also the easy targets, blamed for *retention problems.* Somebody's gotta get down in the trenches, sweat and take the blows.
Yet we are not the ones who dumb down the curriculum to scuttle more tuition payers through the line and on to graduation. We don't have that kind of authority.
Have pride, yes!

ciao_yall

There are faculty who pretty much come skidding up to campus, teach their classes and flee as soon as class is over. They can't be bothered to serve on a committee but then complain when decisions are made they don't like, or just ignore the new policies and hope nobody will notice.

Office hours? Return phone calls or emails? Ha.

Not exactly the type one would want to have as a FT colleague. If they are interested in going FT, engage. It doesn't take that much time.

mahagonny

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 12, 2019, 04:31:27 PM

There are faculty who pretty much come skidding up to campus, teach their classes and flee as soon as class is over. They can't be bothered to serve on a committee but then complain when decisions are made they don't like, or just ignore the new policies and hope nobody will notice.

Not exactly the type one would want to have as a FT colleague. If they are interested in going FT, engage. It doesn't take that much time.

Don't you hate getting what you pay for? It's just not fair, is it.

My take on the whole situation, adjunct service is more than you deserve, but less than the students ought to need. that is, if they are students who have a real reason to be in college.

Caracal

I do have regular office hours and try to be available to students. They deserve the same sort of attention they would get with any professor, tenure track or not.  It helps that I consistently get a full load of classes here. If someone only teaches one class for a small amount of money, it isn't reasonable to expect them to just be hanging around campus all day.

That said, though, I'm not full time, I'm not paid like I'm full time and as I have more family and life responsibilities, I've increasingly resolved to not act like I am. I'm not going to come to campus on days I don't teach and I'm certainly not going to feel obligated to do any committee work or attend any meetings. There's something insidious about expecting people to do unpaid work in the vague hope that they will eventually get a job.

I try to be helpful with my course offerings, a good colleague and a good teacher. Hopefully, I'm seen as someone who does their job and doesn't cause anybody trouble. I'd like to think that in the right circumstances that might get me something FT, but I'd be really naive to think there's any guarantee of that or that I should be doing a lot of unpaid work because I think it will get me a FT job.

little bongo

Right, and perhaps after they skid up to campus, they kick some righteous butt in their respective classrooms before skidding off to the next gig. And are office hours specifically required of the adjuncts? And do they have an office?

Yes, some adjuncts probably deserve that kind of derision, but it might be the culture of a particular school that brings out that which is best or worst. And I don't think there's a case where you can really fault someone for doing their job, and not doing what isn't their job--it's a valid response, and sometimes, yes, one that can stem from pride.

I'll also add that if I have any ninja moves as a now-tenured semi-successful academic, I learned many of them as an adjunct.

ciao_yall

Quote from: little bongo on September 13, 2019, 07:33:54 AM

Right, and perhaps after they skid up to campus, they kick some righteous butt in their respective classrooms before skidding off to the next gig. And are office hours specifically required of the adjuncts? And do they have an office?

Yes, some adjuncts probably deserve that kind of derision, but it might be the culture of a particular school that brings out that which is best or worst. And I don't think there's a case where you can really fault someone for doing their job, and not doing what isn't their job--it's a valid response, and sometimes, yes, one that can stem from pride.

I'll also add that if I have any ninja moves as a now-tenured semi-successful academic, I learned many of them as an adjunct.

As do some FT faculty.

So, when seeking to hire adjuncts, do we want some who show that they will continue the "get tenure, do as little as you can get away with, retire, and die" culture? Or some who show that they will contribute to the betterment of the institution as a whole?

And then there are those who are eager beavers until they go FT/Tenured then decide "they can't fire me now!" But that's another conversation.

Caracal

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 13, 2019, 09:29:03 AM

So, when seeking to hire adjuncts, do we want some who show that they will continue the "get tenure, do as little as you can get away with, retire, and die" culture? Or some who show that they will contribute to the betterment of the institution as a whole?

And then there are those who are eager beavers until they go FT/Tenured then decide "they can't fire me now!" But that's another conversation.

I'd suggest that if an institution really wants people who are going to contribute outside of their classes, they need to give them a different role and pay them more. I try to be a good citizen within my purview; I spend a lot of time working with students, I write Rec letters, I try to be as helpful as I can about the courses I offer and the times I can teach them, and I've done some favors for people with extra stuff. But the "institution as a whole" has made a series of choices to not hire someone to work full time or give me any assurance of continuing employment. They could tell me next fall, "oh sorry, we cut the part time budget and don't have any classes for you." Given those realities, there's something really gross about an expectation that I'm supposed to be doing a lot of unpaid work in the vague hope that someone might notice and decide to employ me full time.

mahagonny

Quote from: Caracal on September 13, 2019, 04:29:02 PM

I'd suggest that if an institution really wants people who are going to contribute outside of their classes, they need to give them a different role and pay them more. I try to be a good citizen within my purview; I spend a lot of time working with students, I write Rec letters, I try to be as helpful as I can about the courses I offer and the times I can teach them, and I've done some favors for people with extra stuff. But the "institution as a whole" has made a series of choices to not hire someone to work full time or give me any assurance of continuing employment. They could tell me next fall, "oh sorry, we cut the part time budget and don't have any classes for you." Given those realities, there's something really gross about an expectation that I'm supposed to be doing a lot of unpaid work in the vague hope that someone might notice and decide to employ me full time.
The other piece of this is the absurd question 'why do you think this job or these jobs are supposed to provide a living to you.' Somebody thinks they are entitled to charity, or a steady, large supply of trained employees without needs or limits in their schedule and energy.

ciao_yall

Agreed. It's up to the faculty to decide if they think the percentage is worth it.

mahagonny

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 13, 2019, 05:37:22 PM

Agreed. It's up to the faculty to decide if they think the percentage is worth it.

There are some tenured faculty who are concerned about 'normalizing' adjunct faculty. As it was explained to me it means "to make the argument that adjunct labor, outside of exceptional circumstances, should be a regular part of higher education" . Thus if the adjunct faculty member is doing things that beyond what's on his contract, serving on a committee, service work, etc. then he's looking more and more like a a more affordable version of themselves.