College majors that didn’t exist 50 years ago

Started by simpleSimon, September 20, 2019, 02:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mythbuster

UC Davis has for years had a program in Weed Science.
https://caes.ucdavis.edu/about/academics/plan/archive/1999/dept-plans/vegetable-crops-and-weed-science
But it's not that type of weed. Maybe they should look to expand?

marshwiggle

Quote from: mythbuster on September 25, 2019, 02:23:49 PM
UC Davis has for years had a program in Weed Science.
https://caes.ucdavis.edu/about/academics/plan/archive/1999/dept-plans/vegetable-crops-and-weed-science
But it's not that type of weed. Maybe they should look to expand?

The labs would be more popular. But the reports might be a bit abstract.
It takes so little to be above average.

Myword

This  shows that some institutions will cater to student interest in any way because it is so profitable. For the bottom line. A major in Beatles is ridiculous and worthless (and I am a big fan)   Anything could be a major, even auto parts.  Easy majors help out lazier and less intellectual students and their professors who have undemanding work.

Some of my students told me that they decided on their majors because of a TV show.
Become an engineer because of Scotty on Star Trek?

mouseman

Quote from: Myword on October 12, 2019, 08:41:02 AM
This  shows that some institutions will cater to student interest in any way because it is so profitable. For the bottom line. A major in Beatles is ridiculous and worthless (and I am a big fan)   Anything could be a major, even auto parts.  Easy majors help out lazier and less intellectual students and their professors who have undemanding work.

Some of my students told me that they decided on their majors because of a TV show.
Become an engineer because of Scotty on Star Trek?

Very common, and has always been very common. At one time, a large number of people became forensics experts because they read Sherlock Holmes. Now it's because they watch CSI on TV.

One of the reasons that I became and ecologist is because of books I read (thank you, Gerald Durrell). I'm sure than many of the students who are doing their undergrduate degrees in Ecology of Zoology are doing so because they watched nature shows on TV.
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
   As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
   By a finger entwined in his hair.

Lewis Carroll