News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Student-Professor Sexual Relationships

Started by Effarre, September 22, 2019, 10:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Effarre

Thanks all...lots for me to think about.

Next for me: do I need to report this relationship that began whilst undergrad was a student and yes, was in a subordinate position to the professor...? (I am asking rhetorically, as I don't think there is one obvious answer.)

downer

Do you need to report it? I'd say the answer is obvious: no.

Would it be a reasonable action to report it? I suspect not.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Caracal

Quote from: Effarre on September 25, 2019, 07:06:22 AM

Next for me: do I need to report this relationship that began whilst undergrad was a student and yes, was in a subordinate position to the professor...? (I am asking rhetorically, as I don't think there is one obvious answer.)

I can't tell from your description whether the student was actually taking a class from the professor at the time the relationship began. If no, I don't think there's anything to report. I think the behavior is wrong and it would certainly make me question the person's judgement and character, but if there's no specific rule being broken, I can't see what the point of reporting would be.

If the student was actually taking a class from this person at the time the relationship began, or if they were working with them in some sort of way, that's different. Even if there's no specific rule about relationships, I'd assume that other language could be invoked about impartiality or fairness. I don't think someone who does that ought to be teaching.

dr_codex

At my place:

1. If it's non-consensual, I have no choice: I must report.

2. If it is consensual, in a supervisory relationship, the participants must disclose. I probably would, as a good colleague, point this requirement out to them, so that they could take appropriate steps. Depending on what they did, I might report. (My Chair probably does have the obligation to report.)

3. If there is no longer a supervisory relationship, this would very likely be treated as a "pre-existing" relationship. Direct supervision down the line would require alternate lines of reporting; otherwise, no official action would be taken. I would keep my mouth shut.

One caveat: There's an old phrase "twice makes a custom". If I knew that the faculty behavior was habitual, and not a star-struck Juliet separated from her Romeo, I would say something. Maybe not formally, but to somebody who has the authority to intervene should it happen again.

I should note that the actual policy, including sanctions, are very new. They don't cover past transgressions, but I can imagine that, moving forward, a person in a position of authority who did not intervene when knowing about an ongoing, supervisory, sexual relationship might get dressed down. It would be the same as turning a blind eye towards blatant discrimination, or academic dishonesty: that is, professional irresponsibility, not moral failure.
back to the books.

Hibush

It's really worth finding out what the exact policy is for the institution. I'd be really surprised if there was none. That policy is what determines what to do. Not your colleagues opinions, nor ours.

The original description makes it sound as if the student has graduated and the faculty member has left the department. If that is the case, there is no prospective action for the department to take. Both of the actors are gone.

Ruralguy

We do not allow relationships between any faculty/staff or students.

If there were something pre-existing, we could probably work it out, depending on what the relationship was.

Otherwise, end it, or face dismissal. In fact, you could face dismissal anyway.

spork

For my employer, an incident of this type -- or simply second-hand information about an alleged incident of this type -- is put into the Title IX "mandatory reporting" category. Faculty are told they must adhere to the policy. So the report is made. Then the university does nothing, unless there is a very high chance of the incident generating bad publicity. Works great for anyone who is a serial sexual predator.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Diogenes

Quote from: Ruralguy on September 25, 2019, 12:33:54 PM
We do not allow relationships between any faculty/staff or students.

If there were something pre-existing, we could probably work it out, depending on what the relationship was.

Otherwise, end it, or face dismissal. In fact, you could face dismissal anyway.

Does your school have spouse tuition benefits?

Parasaurolophus

The way I see it, these situations all raise defeasible warning flags. Whether those flags are defeated depends on the particulars of the case. So it's entirely appropriate to view such relationships with suspicion at first. We just have to revise our opinions in light of new evidence, as time goes on.

As soon as a professor and a student enter into a relationship (even if the student isn't a student of that instructor), it raises a red flag, and IMO it should be treated with suspicion. If the student isn't one of the instructor's students, that's a smaller flag that's more easily defeated. If it's a same-sex couple, it's a smaller, more easily defeated flag; if it's a lesbian couple, it's a smaller, more easily defeated flag (because of the way these things are socialized; I'm much more suspicious when it's a man in a position of power over a woman, or [but less so] a man over another man). If the instructor and the student have a pedagogical tie, but take steps to... divest?... themselves of it, then that defeats my flag, too. If the relationship seems like a healthy one, and lasts into the long term, that also defeats my flag.

But the big thing is this: has this happened before with that same instructor? Because if there's a pattern of the instructor finding romantic partners among the student body, then that's a huge red flag. And it would take an enormous effort to get me onside.

Full disclosure: my partner's closest friend is married to one of her former professors, and the relationship began when the instructor was her dissertation director. As I said above, that's a red flag for me. But they did all the right things to mitigate that flag, and it's clear to me this wasn't part of a pattern on the instructor's part. And they're both women, which I do think makes a difference. So, anyway, I don't view their relationship with suspicion any more. They put in the effort, and they've more than earned their pass.

Also: student-instructor relationships are strictly forbidden at my current institution.
I know it's a genus.

newprofwife

If your uni, doesn't have a formal policy, that is a gray area as even if you report it, no one is breaking any policies. However, if there is a policy, then this becomes a real issue. Morals aside, it is very rare for professors to date students even though it is all over media (#metoo). I've never witnessed it in college, grad school, or work. My husband is a professor and I think some people assume I was his student since I look younger than him but we met as two consenting grad students back in the day:) With that said, today in 2019, you must be stupid to date a student. It is wrong and just stick to another dating pool (anyone who is not a college student). You could lose your job so just date others who are not students. It's that easy.       

Ruralguy

Yes, my school has spousal tuition benefits. Yes, someone brought this sort of case up with the administration when they just declared this policy. We asked them what would happen, and it was just the usual "you'd have to expect us to act reasonably."  No professor in this situation has been fired for having a relationship with a student (or even gotten into any kind of trouble at all).

Kron3007

Given that this is in the past I would not report it.  The student is no longer a student and I see almost no way this would end up in any action, but I do see how you could get burned.  It's not like they would start some sort of investigation and at this point it is in the past and really just hearsay that they could simply deny.

If it were an ongoing thing, I likely would not report it either but depending on the specifics I may.  The reality is that if you know about it, most likely others do as well...