News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

conference = expensive = what's normal?

Started by revert79, October 10, 2019, 03:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revert79

Hi!  I am about to attend a conference; I haven't been to one before.  I am upset by the cost, which has to come out of my departmental budget.  The conference is $300, the hotel (for 4 nights--since the session I most want to attend because it's really relevant to my job is "pre-conference" the day before) is $700, the transportation I haven't assessed yet but it's 4 hrs away by car in a "can't get there from here" type of location.

omg this is terrible!  My departmental budget isn't big--hard not to feel guilty.  But I have been majorly encouraged to attend this conference, and I did already register.  It's a regional conference--the (Region)(Field) Association Annual Conference.  But on the other hand it seems so wonderful and I feel like I will learn 100% more about my field than I currently know

???????

lightning

Huh? Why are you feeling guilty. Don't feel guilty. The conference will cost your department $1,000 + estimated mileage costs of $240. $1,240 is perfectly normal. And it sounds like you are covering your own meals/entertainment/incidentals out of your own pocket, so Sheeesh, cut it out already. Go enjoy it, learn lots, make your uni look good, and network, and don't feel guilty in the least bit. 

downer

It seems a bit unusual that you never went to a conference as a grad student. Or apparently that you are not used to hotel charges. Your optimism about the conference is bizarre. If you have been keeping up with journal articles in your area, you will find more of the same.

So what's up? Why is all so new to you?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Hibush

Regional and national conferences are a common part of my grant-proposal budgets. I am currently budgeting $2000 per conference. That number seems to be normal. At least, nobody has ever questioned it and there are plenty of people in a position to do that.

You will have to determine which conferences are worth that much of the department budget. That is a separate and important consideration.

polly_mer

Quote from: Hibush on October 10, 2019, 04:41:55 AM
Regional and national conferences are a common part of my grant-proposal budgets. I am currently budgeting $2000 per conference.

Yes, $2000/conference is a reasonable estimate for something that isn't in a hugely expensive city with an expected set of attendees from around the world.

A $300 conference fee is entirely reasonable for a conference where one expects to learn much through a combination of sessions and networking.

revert79, sometimes, it's possible to get a slightly cheaper hotel by shopping around instead of using the conference-recommended hotel.  It's also possible to be strategic about how many days to go and not stay the entire time.

Big picture: it's usually worthwhile to go to at least one regional conference per year for the networking opportunities and it seems like that's supported by your institution.  Revisit your budget for this year to afford this conference and then build conference/workshop attendance into next year's budget.  If your departmental budget is too small to get the job done, then that's a conversation to start now with relevant people at your institution so you're not in this same situation next year.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Kron3007

Yes, these costs are all typical, perhaps even on the lower end.  Budgeting about $2000/conference sounds about right to me as well, depending on location etc.

If this is more than you can/want to spend, definitely shop around for cheaper hotels, air bnb, etc.  The conference hotel is very convenient, but usually not the cheapest option.

Just second Downer, it seems odd that this is so unknown at your stage.  If you did not have this opportunity as a grad student, you should really plan to support your students, and realize this cost is pretty typical.  I make sure to send each student to at least one conference, usually more.

revert79

Okay...thanks.  I feel better now.  The thought of using up $1000 my department's money is freaking me out, but in this case it really will be put to good use.  And yeah I shopped around and got the cheapest hotel I could find that wasn't too far away.

Quote from: downer on October 10, 2019, 04:29:34 AM
It seems a bit unusual that you never went to a conference as a grad student. Or apparently that you are not used to hotel charges. Your optimism about the conference is bizarre. If you have been keeping up with journal articles in your area, you will find more of the same.

So what's up? Why is all so new to you?

This person makes a few interesting points.  It gets a little personal (instead of "conferences are usually that much money" or "you're getting hosed" etc), but I will answer as best I am able.

Never attended conference as a grad student, because in my field the terminal degree is the 2-year MFA, and I went to a freewheeling ivy league program that was blind to things like conferences and eventual academic careers (or careers of any kind).  Nobody went to our academic conference--believe me, we didn't even know what it was.

Not used to hotel charges--this is true; I am and always have been a member of the lower classes, and have never booked a hotel for myself or my family.  If we want to go somewhere interesting, we go camping (I recommend the State Parks system for this--cheapest and best!).  As a kid, hotels were not really part of my experience of life. 

Weirdly optimistic about the conference: this is true, I am optimistic.  Transparency: I'm not a professor, I'm the director of university galleries and exhibitions.  My degree is in the above-mentioned arts field (as in the production of artwork, rather than arts administration), so this conference will represent the most professional exposure I have had in the area in which I actually work.  It will kind of be like an education in 4 days...which does make the 1 grand start to seem like a bargain.  Anyway on paper the conference seems very fun and exciting with all of the workshops and talks and offsite trips to picturesque colleges!!  What's the problem, are conferences usually awful or something? 

Journal articles--good call--will look into it.  Hopefully this clears up the mystery of why I'm so behind the times.

polly_mer

Quote from: revert79 on October 10, 2019, 05:30:04 AM
Anyway on paper the conference seems very fun and exciting with all of the workshops and talks and offsite trips to picturesque colleges!!  What's the problem, are conferences usually awful or something? 

Some conferences are more about putting a line on each speaker's CV for having delivered a talk.  In some fields, the common practice is to literally read a paper to the audience of a handful of people.

When I was a grad student, I prepared a big list of talks I wanted to see and moved room to room to see the newest results.  That was a useful overview in areas where dozens of groups are working and a way to assess the handful of most burning questions.  Reading articles was necessary to get all the details in certain areas, but the talks were good advertisements for how to prioritize my literature review so I could do my scientific research.

However, I've always gotten more useful education from a targeted workshop.   That remained true when I changed from doing scientific research to doing administrative work.

The networking at relevant regional conferences was invaluable as I moved from doing research to teaching and then to administration.  The talks at those conferences were OK (again, more of figuring out what the problems in the field are), but the very useful part was talking in small groups with people doing the same work I was and acquiring mentors when I was alone at the institution trying to do the given job.  Reading articles was not nearly as useful as that extended lunch with people in the same boat with real experiences and advice outside the textbook examples.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

AvidReader

My humanities conference costs can range from $300 (small, regional) to $1500 (large, national/international) if I watch my pennies very closely. I have had conference funding only once in my life, so have cut corners in many interesting ways. Some of my conferences pro-rate their fees by income (thank you!!!), which is a real gift. The conference hotel is often my biggest expense, but I understand that some of the conference costs are mitigated by the hotel's income from these rooms.

Some ways I have cut corners:

--stayed in other hotels. Walking distance is best. I once stayed ~30 miles out of a city centre and missed out on some of the conference networking.

--shared a room (better if you can meet your roommate beforehand; even better if it's someone you know already. Some conferences run lists of people seeking roommates)

--flown red-eye, or driven crazy distances. Next week I am driving to a conference ~6 hours away, but I'll stop ~2 hours away so I can sleep in a less expensive hotel (and not pay parking fees).

--brought small snacks or even a nonperishable sandwich so that I can eat small meals alone and only buy out if dining with colleagues.

Other things you might consider if it is your first conference:

--For me, networking is the most essential part of a conference. Get out and mingle at coffee hours. Loiter at the bar at the end of the day (the drinks will be $20, but you can nurse one all night) and introduce yourself to people you've seen attending some of the same panels that interested you. Stay after panels and talk to people whose interests align with yours--not just the presenters, who are usually swamped, but also the other people in the room (bonus points if they are also sitting alone and look new). If there is a cash bar or reception, go to it, and look for other people who look as if they don't know many attendees. If someone you really admire will be attending, email to ask if you can chat over coffee. If you are shy (like me!) the book room can also be a great place to meet people informally--and at some conferences (field- and even conference-specific), you can even chat to editors about your upcoming book projects.

--If you have business cards, take them! If you are given business cards, I like to jot down a few details about the person you met (e.g. "editing a collection on X") on the back so I won't get confused after the conference.

Quote from: polly_mer on October 10, 2019, 05:43:09 AM
The networking at relevant regional conferences was invaluable as I moved from doing research to teaching and then to administration.  The talks at those conferences were OK (again, more of figuring out what the problems in the field are), but the very useful part was talking in small groups with people doing the same work I was and acquiring mentors when I was alone at the institution trying to do the given job.  Reading articles was not nearly as useful as that extended lunch with people in the same boat with real experiences and advice outside the textbook examples.

Yes, this! If you are invited to join a group for a meal or drinks, do so if at all possible (prioritize your energy, of course). Especially since this is a regional conference, the people in attendance will be not only in your field but close enough for talks, other small conferences, and mentoring opportunities. It will likely also be stupidly expensive (costly hotels=costly restaurants), but in the long term it will be worthwhile. (Also, if you have a chance to ask for separate receipts at a meal out, do so).

AR.

ciao_yall

And, think about the value you will be bringing back to your institution. In your role, you probably need to be thinking about the latest trends in the art world, the big names, the rising names, and so forth.

You will return with a lot of fresh ideas to rebuild your galleries and exhibitions, as well as new resources.

That will make the conference pay for itself in the long run.

Ruralguy

The expenses you mention are both typical and reasonable. I suggest you cut corners in the ways suggested if you can't get that kind of money reimbursed.

mamselle

Some large conferences have grad and early-scholar grants, or will waive registration fees for a few folks per year.

Not sure where you fall in the latter category, they usually say "less than/equal to 3 yrssince degree award date" or something like that.

A couple times, I've stayed with colleagues who were also long-standing friends, but that doesn't usually work, location-wise.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

FWIW, you're not obliged to stay in the conference hotel (I never do unless it's being paid for by someone else). That can cut costs substantially. Also taking the train where and when you can, rather than flying.

But if you have conference funding, you should absolutely use it all up. The only question is whether to blow it all on one, or to spread it around a few.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 10, 2019, 08:12:02 AM
FWIW, you're not obliged to stay in the conference hotel (I never do unless it's being paid for by someone else). That can cut costs substantially. Also taking the train where and when you can, rather than flying.

But if you have conference funding, you should absolutely use it all up. The only question is whether to blow it all on one, or to spread it around a few.

There is a lot to be said for staying in the conference hotel. Everything really happens at breakfast, on the elevator or in the bar after hours. Staying even a few blocks away cuts down on that a lot.

Ask me about the time a company thought it would be a great idea to send me to a conference but not pay for it and just hang out in the lobby all day.

downer

OP I wonder what you aim to get out of the conference. If it is just information, you can get just about all the info from other sources, such as journals and blog posts.

Conferences are places to make connections, and to get yourself noticed by interacting with others. They are good for advancing your career. They can also be excuses for a mini-vacation.

Whether you take naturally to conferences tends to depend on how much of an extrovert you are, and how good you are at taking initiative.

Personally I hate most hotels and especially big conference hotels, and avoid them as much as I can. I stay at an Airbnb and commute to the conference. That is generally a lot cheaper too. Some people stay in youth hostels. Much of the interacting goes on outside of the hotel, during meals and going for drinks.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis