does admin care about annual feedback on dept head?

Started by AJ_Katz, October 10, 2019, 06:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ_Katz

Hi folks - every year, we are asked to give written feedback on the performance of our department head (not chair).  It consists of two questions to the effect of: name one attribute that is good and give one point of constructive feedback.  Our current head is relatively new and is not operating at the level of technical knowledge or professionalism that I would expect for the position. This person is also out of the office a lot and has poor writing ability, which places more burden on office staff and faculty.  The problems I'm describing are not critical, but are the type that can erode the department over time when we should be on an upward trajectory.  I don't know what options I have.  It's a small department, so it's possible my feedback would be recognized.  A large portion of the department are close to retirement, so I suspect they won't give feedback. 

But would it even matter that I give feedback?  Sometimes I hear that it's only when faculty give feedback that the administration can take action and other times I suspect this is just a pacifying device.  There are no guidelines for expectations / evaluation of department heads.  I don't want to go around the head and talk to a dean because I think that would just make me look bad.  I've been considering more strongly to go elsewhere, but for a few reasons, I need to stay here for at least 5 more years. 

Ruralguy

It really depends on the administration, but I can tell you from my own experience (serving on my college's Grievance Committee) that getting something in writing is about the only way anyone will do anything about anything.

However, if you don't have tenure, maybe it would be better if you expressed these concerns to a senior faculty member that can be trusted.

larryc

So if this person is not going to be department head, is there someone else who could do it?

Given that the head is pretty new I think you should focus on working with him to improve rather than ratting him out to the admin.

Aster

At least you don't have to fill out a bubble sheet where subjective, qualitative observations are transformed into quantitative numbers.

Although if you get a 4 or 5 that would mean that you're good.

craftyprof

In my department, the evidence would suggest no, they don't care.  I'm sure they would respond to something truly egregious.  Short of that, maybe they'll send the department head to a conference to develop better leadership skills.

Our feedback is anonymous, so I'm always surprised by the faculty who make really identifying comments and give that up.  Because the only result seems to be a soured relationship with the department head.

AJ_Katz

Quote from: Ruralguy on October 10, 2019, 11:19:14 AM
However, if you don't have tenure, maybe it would be better if you expressed these concerns to a senior faculty member that can be trusted.

Tenured and working to full.

Quote from: larryc on October 11, 2019, 12:23:33 PM
So if this person is not going to be department head, is there someone else who could do it?

Our heads have 5 year terms and, at this rate, I don't want to work for this person for a second 5-year term.  Whether that means that I leave or that person leaves, either way. 

Quote from: larryc on October 11, 2019, 12:23:33 PM
Given that the head is pretty new I think you should focus on working with him to improve rather than ratting him out to the admin.

I agree completely and that is what I struggle with.  This person comes to me for advice -- not on everything, but on things I think they should already know given they've been working at our institution for over 20 years.  I feel like I'm being used when I'm not getting the career support that I'd like in return and I'm not getting paid to give my boss advice at the administrative level.  Also, their high degree of loyalty to recruit their favorite graduates of our department/institution comes across as giving preferential treatment to people they know.   Those kinds of actions (there are more like that but I don't want to describe) make it difficult for me to just STFU...  it crosses the line in terms of my moral beliefs about fairness and equal treatment.  I know I am not the only one who is bothered by this.  But those are not the kinds of things that I feel comfortable saying to this person directly.  I just don't know that the annual review is the best mechanism for communicating this.  As a side, I do know that the upper administration has already had to speak to this person about certain expectations for the job and that seemed to help.

AJ_Katz

Quote from: craftyprof on October 11, 2019, 06:56:10 PM
In my department, the evidence would suggest no, they don't care.  I'm sure they would respond to something truly egregious.  Short of that, maybe they'll send the department head to a conference to develop better leadership skills.

Our feedback is anonymous, so I'm always surprised by the faculty who make really identifying comments and give that up.  Because the only result seems to be a soured relationship with the department head.

Yep -- already in a leadership course.  ...and I agree about the potential consequence, that's what I'm afraid of.  We've got a small department, which makes it hard to trust that I would not be identifiable in my comments.  In all honesty, I'm thinking to just say nothing at all.  Even an email to the dean to give feedback seems misplaced.