News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

QuoteStudent advisees in excess of 30 counts toward College Community Service."

I advise 60-70 a year and we aren't allowed to give advising surveys on an individual level, only aggregated for the entire department.

Perhaps another perspective is called for.... Consider:

YOU SUCK AS AN ADVISOR!   Therefore, you should NOT be PERMITTED to advise more than twice the required load!  Forthwith, transfer the surplus to the admincritter that is filling out your evaluation!!  FOR THE GOOD OF THE STUDENTS !!! BEFORE YOU SCREW THEM UP FOR LIFE AND ENDANGER THE CONTUED OPERATION OF THE UNIVERSITY, you MUST transfer them to the most qualified person (clearly, the administrator overseer!) 

Good Luck!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on February 23, 2021, 01:34:04 PM
I've gotten a few things taken care of that have been needing done for awhile (finances, legal, and such). I was feeling a lot better, but then everybody in my orbit has been snippy, snarly, and downright mean for the past few days.

I took a day of medical leave for a mental health day today.  Sometimes you just have to, right?  (I'm going to sit out on the patio in the warm sun for a little while.  Maybe that will cheer me up.)

A little sun always helps.

FishProf

Quote from: clean on February 23, 2021, 03:16:22 PM
QuoteStudent advisees in excess of 30 counts toward College Community Service."

I advise 60-70 a year and we aren't allowed to give advising surveys on an individual level, only aggregated for the entire department.

Perhaps another perspective is called for.... Consider:

YOU SUCK AS AN ADVISOR!   Therefore, you should NOT be PERMITTED to advise more than twice the required load!  Forthwith, transfer the surplus to the admincritter that is filling out your evaluation!!  FOR THE GOOD OF THE STUDENTS !!! BEFORE YOU SCREW THEM UP FOR LIFE AND ENDANGER THE CONTUED OPERATION OF THE UNIVERSITY, you MUST transfer them to the most qualified person (clearly, the administrator overseer!) 

Good Luck!
Well, this is for Merit Pay, so if they deem my work insufficient, it would be the only responsible thing to do...

Not being Chair would also be warranted.  If I can't do the basic job of professor well enough...
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

AmLitHist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on February 23, 2021, 05:31:38 PM
Quote from: AmLitHist on February 23, 2021, 01:34:04 PM
I've gotten a few things taken care of that have been needing done for awhile (finances, legal, and such). I was feeling a lot better, but then everybody in my orbit has been snippy, snarly, and downright mean for the past few days.

I took a day of medical leave for a mental health day today.  Sometimes you just have to, right?  (I'm going to sit out on the patio in the warm sun for a little while.  Maybe that will cheer me up.)

A little sun always helps.

It did, thanks!

downer

Dear Dean

Thanks for your email about the student who has been ill. Yes, I can be flexible about some course requirements.

I am curious why you think I should be the one emailing the student. If the student is recovered, then the student can email me. If the student is not recovered, then it can wait.

I also am curious about why you are asking rather than telling. Either the student is entitled to hand in work late or they are not. It's not about me being nice.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

clean

QuoteI also am curious about why you are asking rather than telling. Either the student is entitled to hand in work late or they are not. It's not about me being nice.

Perhaps this is Dale Carnegie in action?  "Ask questions instead of issuing commands"
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

sinenomine

Yesterday my supervisor suddenly asked to review my position description but then postponed the meeting at the last moment, leaving me fretting over what's going on. Then a neighbor asked me to check on a sick pet and as I left her house, I wiped out on her wonky front step and wrenched an ankle. Feeling pretty grumpy at the moment!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

We're having one of those weeks when things don't seem to work very well around here.  We've had an odd problem with our newly-adopted credit card payment service.  We can't get hold of our IT contractor to fix some internet access issues that have made it hard for patrons to use our Wi-Fi.  And our public photocopier keeps acting up.  These problems are putting undue stress on staff members, and inconveniencing the people we're supposed to be serving. 

It's good that libraries can provide a wider variety of services than they once did.  But to be able to provide these services, we have to depend on technology from assorted vendors.  And our vendors have not been doing well by us lately.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

FishProf

What is up [Online Vendor]?!  You have emailed me every week all year trying to sell your product.  I've NEVER responded.  Why are you now emailing daily, and casually, like we're old friends?

It's not going to happen.  Stop.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

downer

Wait. So Interlibrary Loan is not doing physical copies of books (fair enough) nor is it doing ebooks.

So basically it isn't doing books at all.

You could just say that on the main page to make it clear you have given up.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ergative

I really don't want to re-review this paper.

apl68

Quote from: downer on March 01, 2021, 08:47:47 AM
Wait. So Interlibrary Loan is not doing physical copies of books (fair enough) nor is it doing ebooks.

What ARE they still doing?

downer

Quote from: apl68 on March 01, 2021, 10:30:46 AM

They will still deliver PDFs of journal articles.

Vkw10

Quote from: downer on March 01, 2021, 12:21:39 PM

Our library recently bought a book they couldn't borrow for me. Surprised me, but they said it wasn't too expensive and looked useful for collection. Love our library!
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

Quote from: downer on March 01, 2021, 12:21:39 PM

I'm surprised that libraries are still refusing to circulate hard copies by ILL.  Public libraries returned to circulating hard copies months ago with no indication that it's making people sick.