News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Medi Vac Insurance

Started by nebo113, June 02, 2020, 08:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

If I have a serious medical issue, (heart, etc), my local hospital will medi vac me to another hospital is the system about 75 miles away.  One of my cousins just got a bill for $41,000, so it's time to get something.  I have a recommendation about a company, but really have no idea what to look for.

I am also going to check with my Medicare supplemental plan to see what it covers.

Any suggestions???

mamselle

When I first saw the title, it reminded me of the temp job I once had for three months, booking short-term MedEvac insurance for consultants going out-of-country to locations considered dangerous or medically under-served by the State Department, for which additional coverage riders were needed for the duration of their travel!

There were two lists of countries, one "slightly dangerous," the other much more so; a few of the consultants went to the latter locations fairly often, which  added a dimension of curiosity (as well as concern) to my understanding of their work.

Clearly, this isn't that...sorry to derail, but it brought me up short for a bit!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Anselm

I don't have any advice on the insurance question but I would like to inform everyone that the price has gone up about 10 times in recent years due to the companies being bought out by private equity firms, just in case you needed something else to be angry over.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on June 02, 2020, 08:24:04 AM
When I first saw the title, it reminded me of the temp job I once had for three months, booking short-term MedEvac insurance for consultants going out-of-country to locations considered dangerous or medically under-served by the State Department, for which additional coverage riders were needed for the duration of their travel!

There were two lists of countries, one "slightly dangerous," the other much more so; a few of the consultants went to the latter locations fairly often, which  added a dimension of curiosity (as well as concern) to my understanding of their work.

Clearly, this isn't that...sorry to derail, but it brought me up short for a bit!

M.

Sorry you weren't able travel!

nebo113

Quote from: Anselm on June 02, 2020, 11:13:06 AM
I don't have any advice on the insurance question but I would like to inform everyone that the price has gone up about 10 times in recent years due to the companies being bought out by private equity firms, just in case you needed something else to be angry over.

Same for my LTC policy.