News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First US launch of a private manned space craft

Started by polly_mer, May 27, 2020, 07:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Watch the preparations for sending astronauts to the International Space Station live at https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive starting at noon Eastern Time today.

Years ago, every launch into space was a big deal.  Relive the excitement this time*.

* or hope with fingers crossed and watch the news later for those of us who had our first experience watching live be Challenger.

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mythbuster

Well, see you all on Saturday for try number two!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: polly_mer on May 27, 2020, 07:48:23 AM

Years ago, every launch into space was a big deal.  Relive the excitement this time*.

One downside of getting serious about climate change will be even fewer launches. One upside is that each one should be a much bigger deal.

Or: maybe a space elevator.
I know it's a genus.

kaysixteen

Hmmm... how much of this technology Musk is using is new, and how much of it is piggybacked on NASA space tech, much of which is by now decades old?  IOW, just how significant is this launch, and is private space launching a real alternative to doing it publicly?

mamselle

Sorry, but Elon Musk seems to me to just like to waste resources and play at things.

I can't find it in me to take him seriously, except to hope that his insouciant tinkering doesn't get anyone killed.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

kaysixteen

BTW,  Musk's 'private' space efforts would be more impressive if he paid for the construction of his own space launch facilities, etc.

polly_mer

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 27, 2020, 11:32:52 PM
Hmmm... how much of this technology Musk is using is new, and how much of it is piggybacked on NASA space tech, much of which is by now decades old?  IOW, just how significant is this launch, and is private space launching a real alternative to doing it publicly?

These are easily answered questions by people who can do a web search.

If you don't know the current state of the art at even the mass media level, then your opinion is worth less than the time I've already spent on this post.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Ummm....no.

Techno-shaming is gratuitous....we're not all engineers who know where to start to look.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Anselm

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 27, 2020, 11:32:52 PM

I will make an educated guess and say that there is no stunning new tech here.   I likely would have heard about it in the news by now.  Private unmanned launches have been going on for while now.   Globally there are launches into space every week.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

nebo113

And the leader of the free world just packed up his family and scuttled back to DC after the "failure."

apl68

By the way, congratulations for a successful and safe launch!
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.