News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Hurricane Season 2020

Started by clean, May 29, 2020, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

I hope you stay safe, folks in Laura's path! This does not look good. 

clean

Laura is going to be a huge disaster for TX/LA and not just on the coast!  Hopefully, people all across the multi state path are taking precautions!

"unsurvivable storm surge" 

good luck to all. Hopefully anyone in the neighborhood of this storm has prepared and even found safety elsewhere.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

apl68

Our inland state is now experiencing its first-ever tropical storm warning.  It's still that strong as it heads our way.  We're already getting heavy rains and gusts.  My parents are more in the projected path of the storm center.  They've already been warned to expect up to several days of power outage.  The family generator is fueled up and checked out. 

Where I am the schools are considering letting out early.  I can't rule out that we might have to close down here at work as well.

Horrifying to think that we're still getting only the remnants of this storm.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Thinking of everyone who needs to be thought of...it looks as if the spread as well as the strength are indeed much larger than usual.

Get out safely, early, wherever and whenever you can.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AvidReader

So far so good here: wind and heavy rain and some partially flooded streets, with the wing and rain continuing at various intensities for most of the morning, but spouse made it to work today, our road is still passable, and the lights and internet are both still on. We are so grateful to have been out of Laura's direct path. Hope everyone else is safe as well.

AR.

apl68

We got much more than we bargained for here!  Our inland state received its first-ever official tropical storm warning.  And the center of the track passed closer to us than anticipated.  Our library was blacked out Thursday.  We didn't get the power back on until well into Saturday.  We only got phones and internet running a few minutes ago.

It could have been worse.  The assorted trees that fell didn't land on houses.  One house several blocks from mine did burn down Saturday when the power was restored to that block and the sudden surge, added to their generator, blow up their circuit box.  That's something for anybody who uses a generator to bear in mind.  They have to be wired with proper fail-safes to prevent disaster if the grid power is unexpectedly restored.

How did the coast fare?  I haven't yet had a chance to catch up on the news.

clean

Quotepower was restored to that block and the sudden surge, added to their generator, blow up their circuit box.  That's something for anybody who uses a generator to bear in mind.  They have to be wired with proper fail-safes to prevent disaster if the grid power is unexpectedly restored.

IF the extra surge of current added to the generator, then they were not isolated and were likely sending power back down the line... a danger to the linesmen working! 

IF their circuit box is gone, then they will not be improperly connected to the grid now!  Maybe they will learn from their incompetence!  Yes, the proper isolation connection should be installed by an electrician (and isnt cheap), but it is cheaper than a new circuit box and replacing whatever appliances blew up as well!

apl68

Quote from: clean on August 31, 2020, 08:54:37 AM
Quotepower was restored to that block and the sudden surge, added to their generator, blow up their circuit box.  That's something for anybody who uses a generator to bear in mind.  They have to be wired with proper fail-safes to prevent disaster if the grid power is unexpectedly restored.

IF the extra surge of current added to the generator, then they were not isolated and were likely sending power back down the line... a danger to the linesmen working! 

IF their circuit box is gone, then they will not be improperly connected to the grid now!  Maybe they will learn from their incompetence!  Yes, the proper isolation connection should be installed by an electrician (and isnt cheap), but it is cheaper than a new circuit box and replacing whatever appliances blew up as well!

Well...in this case they've lost the entire house.  Roof fallen in and everything.  Apparently the circuit box blew in the middle of the night, and they didn't wake up and notice until it was too late to save anybody but the family themselves.  They have four children.  They're only one of three households that have been burned out locally over the weekend.  A grease fire in an apartment also destroyed two units there.

mamselle

Those losses are regrettable, no matter what caused them.

I'm glad no-one was killed.

I hope the individuals involved have help and support...it sounnds like, as you've described your connuminty, they will.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on August 31, 2020, 09:55:18 AM
Those losses are regrettable, no matter what caused them.

I'm glad no-one was killed.

I hope the individuals involved have help and support...it sounnds like, as you've described your connuminty, they will.

M.

Yes, churches and local businesses are mobilizing.  A local furniture store is receiving donated items on behalf of those who need them.

The town has also been providing help to evacuees from farther south.  They came up here to escape the hurricane, and found themselves caught in the midst of power and internet outages!

clean

Sally made land fall today as a Category 2 storm.  Headlines show estimates for 30 inches of rain across the region!  I hope that everyone is safe and stays healthy.

Good Luck

mamselle

spork

Currently listening to radio interviews of people who fled their homes or were rescued from them during Sally. The interviewer is consistently failing to ask the question "Why didn't you evacuate when you had the chance?"
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

clean

I havent seen what you are watching, but after Katrina, I had a better appreciation for that question. Many people just dont have the money to fill up the tank, buy food on the road and stay in a hotel for a few days.
Others didnt expect that the water would go up  so much.  Remember much of Katrina was a flood and less of a hurricane event.  The flood was not expected and they made it through the storm.

Now, we have the added risk of CV19, so while I may not evacuate from a 1, or a low 2 in my area, I certainly would not IF I had to risk my life against the virus.  And IF I had not expected the flooding that followed 30 inches of rain, I may have been stuck. 
Frankly, My current area is in a Flood Zone C and I really dont know what that means. I know where the creek is that MIGHT flood me, but it is not exactly close to my house, and I dont really know what it would take to have flood damage.  I dont know if Zone C is a 100, 200 or 500 year event, ON PAPER.