News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Well-Run Charitable Organizations?

Started by mahagonny, June 03, 2021, 09:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

I was approached by a young lady who told me about heifer.org. Donating fair animals to budding farmers. Anyone know about it?

ETA: Of course, there are websites. Do you have ways to decide when a charitable organization is well run/effective?

sinenomine

charitynavigator.org is a good resource for learning about specific charities and how they handle their monies. I've known about Heifer International's work for years; they have a long track record.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

I was a member of the church, or one of the churches, that began the Heifer International project in the 1960s/70s.

It was an early in-kind, grassroots organization that, at least at the time, worked well, was sparely but decently organized, and did what it meant to do.

Our classes used to sell donuts after the service to support it, and we'd keep track of how many calves we'd paid for at the end of the year.

I haven't followed it since, but it was reliable and productive then.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Second the recommendation of https://www.charitynavigator.org/. The percent of donations spent on fundraising is particularly important to me, as I refuse to donate where 20% of my gift is going to fundraising expenses.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)