News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

^Unrelated, but coronavirus-related vent...

Why do I have to TELL my friend who is "pretty sure" she "might have something" that the word "viral" means "Spreads quickly" on the internet for a reason and she doesn't have time to play around with calling her cousin or asking me what I think might happen?

Fill out the online CDC survey, send it to your PCP pronto, and do what they say!!

I'm not an MD, I'm not YOUR MD, and if you even think you're sick, they're your best resource--not your cousin, not me, and not your building superintendent!

Brain fog might well be one of the symptoms, but you need to fight it enough to get appropriate care going, so hang up and get started on that survey!!

Sheesh. I care for this friend a lot but they love labyrinthine thinking too much sometimes, I think.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pigou

You may want to recommend your friend to get an at-home test kit. This one is fully covered by insurance (no deductible/copay), or the government for those who don't have insurance: https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test-home-collection-kit

It requires a swab from the front of the nose, which is about as painless as a test could possibly be. Free overnight delivery & return via FedEx. No reason not to request this one if you feel like you might have symptoms.

mamselle

Thank you.

I'll forward that link to her now.

M.

ETA: Done.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

From WTOP Radio: Gov. Hogan has ordered bars and restaurants to reduce capacity in Maryland:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/11/maryland-coronavirus-update-november-17/

apl68

Another spike in cases in our county.  It's said to be especially bad in the neighboring town where the schools have been shut down.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

OneMoreYear

Due to spikes, some of our area K12 school districts have decided to take an "extended fall break" until early January.  It appears that kids just won't have school in the month of December.

mamselle

There's an opening for prospective tutors.

M.

Anselm

Families in Illinois with children playing team sports are going to Indiana each week for competitions since they can't in Illinois.   I have family members who are doing this.   Chicago is requiring a 14 day quarantine for those returning from a state like Indiana.  I suspect that this is not being obeyed.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

kaysixteen

Good point.   Question for ye, around the country (and, for that matter, elsewhere)-- what is the level of enforcement for various covid mitigation policies imposed by states and localities?   There are strict quarantine and mask policies here in Mass., for instance, but more or less all on the honor system.

clean

I was in the grocery store yesterday (out of eggs).  They are stocked to the brim for Thanksgiving... Which means that the middle aisles are now full of 6'x6' pallets of cooking supplies.... which means that the shoppers are pushed even closer together. 
While there there were no fewer than 3 mask violating shoppers!  2 had no masks at all.  The third used his as a chin diaper, not a mask! 
So be warned!  There will be extra people in the stores this week, they will be pushed closer together by the additional food displays, and fewer are effectively wearing masks! 

IF YOU CAN, consider the no contact pick up OR home delivery. 

Dont make it this far into the term, to get sick at the finish line!  (OR if you are more of an optimist - Dont get sick at the starting line for the Christmas Vacation!!)

After yesterday's experience, Im going to have to rethink the initial mantra I was taught when this started:
"What do you need so desperately that you are willing to DIE to get at the  store?"
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on November 18, 2020, 12:30:02 PM
I was in the grocery store yesterday (out of eggs).  They are stocked to the brim for Thanksgiving... Which means that the middle aisles are now full of 6'x6' pallets of cooking supplies.... which means that the shoppers are pushed even closer together. 
While there there were no fewer than 3 mask violating shoppers!  2 had no masks at all.  The third used his as a chin diaper, not a mask! 
So be warned!  There will be extra people in the stores this week, they will be pushed closer together by the additional food displays, and fewer are effectively wearing masks! 

IF YOU CAN, consider the no contact pick up OR home delivery. 

Dont make it this far into the term, to get sick at the finish line!  (OR if you are more of an optimist - Dont get sick at the starting line for the Christmas Vacation!!)

After yesterday's experience, Im going to have to rethink the initial mantra I was taught when this started:
"What do you need so desperately that you are willing to DIE to get at the  store?"

Go really early in the morning or really late at night- if needed. Then, yes, get it delivered.

apl68

I've been seeing substantial levels of mask compliance locally, but it's imperfect and sometimes sloppy.

Our City Council held their monthly meeting in the library's Community Room earlier this week.  Council members, Mayor, city department heads, and spectators were all packed in there--masking, yes, but without room for social distancing.  And they were there for an hour and a half!  I've never been more glad that a City Librarian isn't considered an important enough municipal officer to be required to attend Council meetings. 

I'm not really worried for our staff.  We're seldom in the Community Room ourselves, and nobody else is allowed to use it during the pandemic, so any virus in there will have plenty of opportunity to die out before we come into contact with it.  But wouldn't it be terrible if one of our Council meetings turned into a super-spreading event?  And if all of our city officials except the City Librarian ended up in quarantine?

Our Governor has been warned that at the rate we're going our state could have around another thousand COVID-19 deaths by Christmas.  He has long since put in place mask mandates and other measures, and is pleading for citizens, institutions, and municipalities to comply with them better.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Kron3007

I am in Canada and have only seen one person not wearing a mask since it was required here many months ago.  I dont think there is much enforcement for the rules, but we were asked to wear masks.  Perhaps there is some truth to the stereotypes...

AvidReader

Quote from: apl68 on November 18, 2020, 01:02:26 PM
I'm not really worried for our staff.  We're seldom in the Community Room ourselves, and nobody else is allowed to use it during the pandemic, so any virus in there will have plenty of opportunity to die out before we come into contact with it.  But wouldn't it be terrible if one of our Council meetings turned into a super-spreading event?  And if all of our city officials except the City Librarian ended up in quarantine?

My university is requiring faculty to attend fall graduation in person shortly after Thanksgiving. I have similar concerns about its role as a super-spreader event. No photo op is worth COVID.

AR.

apl68

Quote from: Kron3007 on November 18, 2020, 01:18:28 PM
I am in Canada and have only seen one person not wearing a mask since it was required here many months ago.  I dont think there is much enforcement for the rules, but we were asked to wear masks.  Perhaps there is some truth to the stereotypes...

That's a point I've tried to make before.  As blameworthy as certain leaders' responses to this may be, culture seems to be one of the main determinants in how well a given society deals with this pandemic.  That's why East Asian nations have by and large overcome it--people in their societies are heavily conditioned to do what they're told out in public.  That and China, the original epicenter of the outbreak, can call upon the iron hand of coercion.

I've already observed quite significant cultural shifts with regard to masking and social distancing where I am.  It's not that people aren't adapting.  It's that people in some places have a lot more adapting to do.  And in places where the pandemic wasn't mostly crushed early on, it has become such a long, hard slog that it is tougher to do everything that's necessary on a consistent basis.