News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

I read every single one of the posts on the old Fora thread, and I am thrilled to have something to restart it here. I'm not sure if this is a favorite or a 'favorite'. This is a visiting student through a particular international program that leaned on us very heavily to make things work for him, even though he was woefully unprepared for the type of research he wanted to do here. He somehow stumbled through a project like a kitten in ball pit, and then sent me and his co-supervisor this email. No, English is not his first language.

Hi, Ergative and [Co-supervisor],

I hope you are doing well and spending lovely times with your families. My programme has finished and I had to leave the Uni but I will keep in touch with you hopefully forever . . . [edited to remove specific details about project] I will keep you updated on what I find out because the story has not finished yet. Thank you for every single word and effort you have given me. Take care, live happily and I love you.

Best Regards,
Kitten

octoprof

I'm confused. Is this the favorite email thread or the "favorite" email thread.

This sounds like a favorite to me. S/he loves y'all. How sweet!
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

ergative

I seem to recall that we used to have both 'favorite' and favorite emails there. Based on my experiences with this students, I can interpret this email either way.

Thursday's_Child

Warning - the Fall semester will soon be here!  This, quoted here in its entirety, just arrived.

"Hello! I will be a future student in your class this fall. I would like to know if we need books for your class?"

Conjugate

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on August 02, 2019, 12:09:52 PM
Warning - the Fall semester will soon be here!  This, quoted here in its entirety, just arrived.

"Hello! I will be a future student in your class this fall. I would like to know if we need books for your class?"

This is where a cookie-cutter email may be worth the time. "Dear student: For information about the required materials for this class, see the bookstore web page at <insert URL>.  Of course, you do not need to use the bookstore to actually purchase these materials, and may search for them elsewhere."

Of course, that last sentence may be problematic at some protectionist institutions that don't like competition at the bookstore.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|x–a|<δ⇒|ƒ(x)-ƒ(a)|<ε

statsgeek

I've found that this is a place my freshpeeps and first-gen students honestly don't have the "how to college" know-how.  So, props to hu for being proactive and reaching out, and I'd just send the information as suggested below. 

polly_mer

Quote from: statsgeek on August 04, 2019, 06:47:19 AM

I've found that this is a place my freshpeeps and first-gen students honestly don't have the "how to college" know-how.  So, props to hu for being proactive and reaching out, and I'd just send the information as suggested below.

If one teaches a lot of fresh peeps, reaching out to the office/person who does new student programming may be useful to be on the same page about expectations.  At Super Dinky, we managed to cut down a lot on the lack of "how to college" know-how questions by including some instructions in the acceptance packet with timelines including how registration will work that includes a cohort trip to the bookstore to acquire materials.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

craftyprof

Quote from: Conjugate on August 03, 2019, 08:39:40 AM

This is where a cookie-cutter email may be worth the time. "Dear student: For information about the required materials for this class, see the bookstore web page at <insert URL>.  Of course, you do not need to use the bookstore to actually purchase these materials, and may search for them elsewhere."

Of course, that last sentence may be problematic at some protectionist institutions that don't like competition at the bookstore.

I'd throw in a "You didn't specify what course you are enrolled in, so I don't have enough information to answer your question.  However, the bookstore..."

And if I'm feeling sporting, they get an "I'm looking forward to meeting you in September."

Dr. F.

An email from a student, in it's entirety:

"The exam on Wednesday?"

polly_mer

Quote from: Dr. F. on August 04, 2019, 08:53:45 AM
An email from a student, in it's entirety:

"The exam on Wednesday?"

Well, is there an exam on Wednesday or is it some other day?  Now that I'm intermittently using my tablet to post here, I understand more the little blips in missing a word or having something randomly capitalized because it's a huge pain to get it all right, even for a line or two.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: polly_mer on August 04, 2019, 07:13:35 AM

If one teaches a lot of fresh peeps, reaching out to the office/person who does new student programming may be useful to be on the same page about expectations.  At Super Dinky, we managed to cut down a lot on the lack of "how to college" know-how questions by including some instructions in the acceptance packet with timelines including how registration will work that includes a cohort trip to the bookstore to acquire materials.

Yes to these & most of the other comments - I'm just going to do it Monday...

Polly, I'm not sure exactly what information our new students get, but the programs are run by highly motivated professionals so suggestions are doubtless unnecessary as it's certainly a comprehensive orientation and completely wonderful!  [/sarcasm]  Hopefully they've now stopped telling students to email each of their professors to introduce themselves before classes start.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on August 04, 2019, 10:26:50 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on August 04, 2019, 07:13:35 AM

Yes to these & most of the other comments - I'm just going to do it Monday...

Polly, I'm not sure exactly what information our new students get, but the programs are run by highly motivated professionals so suggestions are doubtless unnecessary as it's certainly a comprehensive orientation and completely wonderful!  [/sarcasm]  Hopefully they've now stopped telling students to email each of their professors to introduce themselves before classes start.

Yup. First sign of a "high-maintenance" student.

polly_mer

Quote from: ciao_yall on August 04, 2019, 10:30:12 AM
Quote from: Thursday's_Child on August 04, 2019, 10:26:50 AM

Yup. First sign of a "high-maintenance" student.

The dean of student life called those emails "starting a relationship with the community; your professor is your first link!"  A new president came in and hit the roof upon hearing that was the official advice to our fresh peeps when we had advertised our strength as knowing people personally where the big classes are 25 people.  Putting the burden on the students to make that first contact email was not reflecting our values nor was hoping students figured out the registration etc. process on their own instead of doing the equivalent of the old school, big gym where students go station to station to meet people, check that paperwork was in order, and incidentally chat with everyone, including circulating faculty, while in line.

kaysixteen

I would not give a pass to a freshman, even a first generation one, who asked if a textbook was needed.  Virtually all classes they would have had in hs, other than some non academic ones, would have required a text, so why would they assume college classes would somehow be textless?  I would mot be rude in response but would certainly make it crystal clear they had to have all required texts for college success.

ergative

Quote from: kaysixteen on August 04, 2019, 09:50:42 PM
I would not give a pass to a freshman, even a first generation one, who asked if a textbook was needed.  Virtually all classes they would have had in hs, other than some non academic ones, would have required a text . .

Not necessarily. Absolutive is a high school math teacher, and he's taught at several districts in different states (and countries) as he followed my career. It's not at all uncommon for students to learn things out of booklets and practice worksheets, rather than having actual textbooks.