News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Managing the textbook publishers

Started by downer, August 05, 2019, 10:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinch

Quote from: pepsi_alum on August 09, 2019, 09:03:15 PM
Another thing I'm trying this upcomimg semester in one of my classes is to put a handful of older edition on reserve at the library that students can check out as a reference if they are so inclined. This works, because we'll cover most textbook material in class, and students can refer back to the book if they need something clarified.

I used to always keep a copy of the textbook on reserve at the library. It was great for students who could not afford the text or for those who lost their book midway through the semester. But now our library won't allow it. We are not permitted to put any textbooks on reserve because - according to the librarian - the publishers have pushed back so much that the school won't allow it. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: Grinch on August 10, 2019, 03:30:49 PM
Another thing I'm trying this upcomimg semester in one of my classes is to put a handful of older edition on reserve at the library that students can check out as a reference if they are so inclined. This works, because we'll cover most textbook material in class, and students can refer back to the book if they need something clarified.

I used to always keep a copy of the textbook on reserve at the library. It was great for students who could not afford the text or for those who lost their book midway through the semester. But now our library won't allow it. We are not permitted to put any textbooks on reserve because - according to the librarian - the publishers have pushed back so much that the school won't allow it.

Since when do the publishers tell the libraries what they can keep in their collections?

Phydeaux

Quote from: ciao_yall on August 10, 2019, 03:32:40 PM

Since when do the publishers tell the libraries what they can keep in their collections?
Yeah, that seems odd to me too. In addition to "reserves," my uni has a textbook loan program, with multiple copies of (mostly) gen-ed texts available for 3-hour, library use only. I have no idea how popular it is, but it seems like an idea whose time has come.

apl68

Quote from: Phydeaux on August 10, 2019, 03:53:27 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on August 10, 2019, 03:32:40 PM

Yeah, that seems odd to me too. In addition to "reserves," my uni has a textbook loan program, with multiple copies of (mostly) gen-ed texts available for 3-hour, library use only. I have no idea how popular it is, but it seems like an idea whose time has come.

It would seem like the school's and library's traditional right of first purchaser to lend would cover all of this.  If a university or library administration gave into publisher pressure and forced the library to stop putting textbooks on course reserve, they shouldn't have.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

downer

What could a publisher threaten a university library with? Do textbook publishers give libraries deals they might refuse to continue? I can imagine that with some university presses that sell to libraries, but the big textbook publishers just make textbooks and online packages for students to buy.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Thursday's_Child

Our library has, for years, refused to accept desk copies for placement on reserve.  Their explanation is that since the text is marked 'for instructor use only, not for resale' it was given to me by the publisher and isn't my property to loan.

I should try to put one on reserve that isn't so marked and report back...

apl68

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on August 12, 2019, 09:56:39 AM
Our library has, for years, refused to accept desk copies for placement on reserve.  Their explanation is that since the text is marked 'for instructor use only, not for resale' it was given to me by the publisher and isn't my property to loan.

Okay, I can see a librarian being such a stickler as to let that be an issue.  Though I like to think that most of us would be more sensible than that.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

But you're not reselling, you're loaning it to students.

A gift becomes the property of the recipient.

[Sings]: "It's your book. You-can-put-it-on-closed-reserve-if-you-wanna!"

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pedanticromantic

Quote from: waterboy on August 05, 2019, 12:37:05 PM
A few years back I went to a small paperback from which I do weekly post/responses. It was about 80% cheaper than a typical text.  And....I still have all the imagery from those years where I had access to the publisher's materials.  :)
So you're promoting copyright violation to your students?
I'm no fan of the big publishers, but pirating the work of your fellow colleagues is kind of shitty.

mamselle

Sorry, I'm missing something.

Where is the work of fellow colleagues being copied in this scenario?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Quote from: pedanticromantic on August 14, 2019, 06:28:45 AM
Quote from: waterboy on August 05, 2019, 12:37:05 PM
A few years back I went to a small paperback from which I do weekly post/responses. It was about 80% cheaper than a typical text.  And....I still have all the imagery from those years where I had access to the publisher's materials.  :)
So you're promoting copyright violation to your students?
I'm no fan of the big publishers, but pirating the work of your fellow colleagues is kind of shitty.

Here.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

Right, but those publishers were paid for those materials, and they paid the developers, unless they withheld rights and are being paid royalties.

I'm very concerned for musicians who didn't hold onto their rights in these settings, and never received much, if anything, for their compositions.

But for the paid developers of materials who have already been paid for them, not so much.

M.

Grinch

Quote from: mamselle on August 14, 2019, 05:34:20 PM
Right, but those publishers were paid for those materials, and they paid the developers, unless they withheld rights and are being paid royalties.

I'm very concerned for musicians who didn't hold onto their rights in these settings, and never received much, if anything, for their compositions.

But for the paid developers of materials who have already been paid for them, not so much.

M.

But it is copyrighted material being shared without permission.

mamselle

But the PowerPoints and such are intended to be shared. And they've already been paid for.

Believe me, I'm fierce about misuse of intellectual property (you can ask the editing client whose work I returned undone last week because of flagrant plagarism how mad it makes me), but this isn't the same thing.

I bought a music book years ago. Last week, I pulled it out to use for a student for sight-reading practice.

I bought some sheet music decades ago. A couple months back, I pulled it out and started practicing it again.

Do I owe the composer or publisher something now? I'm not copying or re-printing it, just re-reading it.

I loan a friend a book bought 30 years past. I read one a friend loaned me. Same thing.

Same issues, I think.

M.

Grinch

I was under the impression, from the comment about weekly posts/responses, that waterboy was referencing materials from course packs or other intellectual material that publishing produce to sell. If it is something that students pay to access, copying the material and providing it to students for free is a copyright violation.

To use your examples, pulling out sheet music later for your personal use is fine and doesn't require additional payments. But copying that same sheet music and giving free copies to students to use would be wrong.