News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

I thought about posting yesterday afternoon to say that it was finally a fairly nice and stable day.  It was a little warm but sunny and pretty clear.  I didn't want to jinx it and bring on a storm that was not in the forecast.  But, we got the storm anyway for several hours last night.  So, since it clearly doesn't matter if I jinx it or not, today is another clear and sunny day.  It doesn't currently feel too warm despite being in the 100s all week and steadily inching up.

ab_grp

Here I am again, mainly to vent.  I have basically learned that no weather apps are worth a dang here.  The system must be too unstable.  Or maybe no meteorologists care about our city/county, so the focus is always on "nearby" areas that have different weather patterns.  Yesterday may have been the most egregious example, but this happens too often.  There is no prediction.  Each day, it can say that there is a low chance of rain each hour, no thunderstorms.  There will be a thunderstorm.  Don't bother to plan around that expectation.  Who knows when it will happen? Last night, things were reported as reasonably clear, with a small chance of rain, and with no lightning anywhere nearby.  Then suddenly there was a ton of wind, torrential rain, major lightning everywhere (including several strikes so close to our house that the lightning app showed individual trees) for at least an hour.  I think with my spare time I am going to work on some sort of forecast.  Whatever I come up with has to be better than this.  The east coast weather forecasts were not always great, but at least they were in the ballpark.   I realize the topography and other elements might contribute.  But this is just crazy and frustrating.

evil_physics_witchcraft

It has been hotter than Satan's armpit down here. Muggy. Humid. Sultry.

apl68

The dog days of August are currently in full force here.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Are you Sirius?

:--}

(Sorry).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Sorry for the double, but I meant to post this yesterday.

I hope any folks in the NC region affected by the earthquake are safe and OK.

ttps://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/5-1-magnitude-earthquake-hits-142807228.html

Check in if you like, to let us know?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

Quote from: mamselle on August 10, 2020, 10:28:25 AM
Sorry for the double, but I meant to post this yesterday.

I hope any folks in the NC region affected by the earthquake are safe and OK.

ttps://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/5-1-magnitude-earthquake-hits-142807228.html

Check in if you like, to let us know?

M.

Okay here, and parents slept through it.

mamselle

Good to hear.

I was a bit surprised, I thought the hills in that area were fairly old and settled and had stopped wiggling around so much.

I guess tectonic plates run deep...

M.

Vkw10

102 F and 89% humidity. Chance of rain 0%.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on August 12, 2020, 08:26:58 AM
Good to hear.

I was a bit surprised, I thought the hills in that area were fairly old and settled and had stopped wiggling around so much.

I guess tectonic plates run deep...

M.

The Carolinas are a seismically active region.  Charleston had a quite serious earthquake in the late 1800s.  Good to hear that this one hasn't been as bad.

It's trying hard to rain here.  So far it hasn't quite managed it.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Rain tonight into tomorrow.  Lower temperatures too!
Earlier this week, there was flooding in parts of the metro DC area from heavy rain.

mamselle

Thankfully it's a) cooled down to 70 all day today and tomorrow, and b) it miiight rain a tiny bit tomorrow but I don't have to go out, so it's fine.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Heat lightning out over the ocean tonight.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on August 15, 2020, 08:01:15 PM
Thankfully it's a) cooled down to 70 all day today and tomorrow, and b) it miiight rain a tiny bit tomorrow but I don't have to go out, so it's fine.

M.

We got down to just below 70 overnight, which is unseasonably mild here.  It made the morning walk feel delightful!  Low 90s projected for today's high.

wellfleet

Smoky--there are three active wildfires in my county right now, and I'm sitting here wondering if there's too much ash falling to work on the deck this morning.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.