News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Share your hypochondria here

Started by Thursday's_Child, June 09, 2019, 06:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Caracal on May 03, 2020, 12:01:28 PM
I want to stipulate that it definitely makes sense to get this checked out, but given other things you've talked about, it could also be anxiety. One of the crummy things about health anxiety is that you can sometimes manifest symptoms by thinking about them, or magnify really minor things.

I wouldn't rule out anxiety. But if that's what it is, would it be expected to be worse when I am more stressed?

It actually seems worst when I am relaxed; especially if I am asleep (or half-asleep).

AmLitHist

Coughing my head off and generally feeling yucky for a week now--despite a complete lack of fever or any exposure whatsoever--means this is probably The Virus, right?

I mean, it couldn't have anything to do with the godawful mold counts or the cool and rainy past week.

(Seriously:  I'm on Claritin and Flonase from my doctor, which was doing fine until recently.  But allergies these past few days have about laid me out.  Suggestions for anything OTC that might work better?  I'm going to have to call in tomorrow and see if he can prescribe something else.)

waterboy

Knee, back, shoulder. Pretty sure it's "falling apart" syndrome.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

the_geneticist

Quote from: AmLitHist on May 25, 2020, 08:00:08 AM
Coughing my head off and generally feeling yucky for a week now--despite a complete lack of fever or any exposure whatsoever--means this is probably The Virus, right?

I mean, it couldn't have anything to do with the godawful mold counts or the cool and rainy past week.

(Seriously:  I'm on Claritin and Flonase from my doctor, which was doing fine until recently.  But allergies these past few days have about laid me out.  Suggestions for anything OTC that might work better?  I'm going to have to call in tomorrow and see if he can prescribe something else.)

Have you tried a neti pot?  Gives me some short-term relief from crud in the nose like pollen or dust.  Or a long, hot steam in the shower to loosen things up?

apl68

Been shivering at work all day.  COVID-19?  Or just the way our HVAC system is running like it thinks the whole building is a refrigerator?
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

AmLitHist

The allergies have calmed down today--thanks for the concern! 

apl68, I think the same people run our work HVAC systems!

evil_physics_witchcraft

I thought I was having a vertigo attack, or something worse, but it just turned out to be a panic attack.

Yay.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 28, 2020, 11:11:33 AM
Serious question(s):

How upset would you be if your arms and legs inexplicably became prone to shaking or spasming, sometimes lasting more than an hour?

And if one of your hands involuntarily squeezed (tight enough to hurt) into a fist for about 30 seconds?

And there are unexplained pains in your forearms and loss of sensitivity in your hands?

I'm...not that ok with this. I at least want an explanation for why it's happening. The doctors I talked to each nonchalantly said "hmm...not really my area". When they tried to move on to the next thing, I stopped them and pressed for advice on where I could go to get checked, I got a casual "oh...is it bothering you? I guess you could try to get a referral to a neurologist"

I'm not imagining I have some lethal disease; far more probable there's a completely mundane cause. But is it really odd to be a bit upset by your body manifesting some unusual glitches?

A couple of questions:

1) If you've ever been told by a doctor that your symptoms are "probably stress", did you hear the message, "Nothing is wrong with you except you. You just wasted my time when I could have been helping someone with real problems." (?)

2) Is there such a thing as imposter syndrome for mental illness? Is it possible that maybe the reason being treated for mental illness isn't making you better is that you were never ill to begin with? That maybe there is no "real you" underneath? That you are simply fundamentally incompetent at managing your own life?

Morden

Hi Smallcleanrat, I don't think you are a hypochondriac. I think you are struggling with a number of serious issues (some internal, and some external). You deserve to get the help you need. Please keep trying to get it even though it's frustrating and difficult sometimes.

the_geneticist

Quote from: smallcleanrat on June 04, 2020, 02:24:53 PM
Serious question(s):

How upset would you be if your arms and legs inexplicably became prone to shaking or spasming, sometimes lasting more than an hour?

And if one of your hands involuntarily squeezed (tight enough to hurt) into a fist for about 30 seconds?

And there are unexplained pains in your forearms and loss of sensitivity in your hands?

I'm...not that ok with this. I at least want an explanation for why it's happening. The doctors I talked to each nonchalantly said "hmm...not really my area". When they tried to move on to the next thing, I stopped them and pressed for advice on where I could go to get checked, I got a casual "oh...is it bothering you? I guess you could try to get a referral to a neurologist"

I'm not imagining I have some lethal disease; far more probable there's a completely mundane cause. But is it really odd to be a bit upset by your body manifesting some unusual glitches?

A couple of questions:

1) If you've ever been told by a doctor that your symptoms are "probably stress", did you hear the message, "Nothing is wrong with you except you. You just wasted my time when I could have been helping someone with real problems." (?)

2) Is there such a thing as imposter syndrome for mental illness? Is it possible that maybe the reason being treated for mental illness isn't making you better is that you were never ill to begin with? That maybe there is no "real you" underneath? That you are simply fundamentally incompetent at managing your own life?

Stress that bad IS a medical issue.  You have as much a right for quality medical care as anyone else.  Have you been given any sort of questionnaire for anxiety and/or depression?  A good general practitioner will have you take a quick survey as part of your visit.

That's the depression talking.  Really.  You know that you've been "more you" in the past.  You do deserve to feel better.  You do deserve friends & relaxation & nice things.

If a doctor brushes you off, find a new doctor!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on June 04, 2020, 03:38:19 PM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on June 04, 2020, 02:24:53 PM
Serious question(s):

A couple of questions:

Stress that bad IS a medical issue.  You have as much a right for quality medical care as anyone else.  Have you been given any sort of questionnaire for anxiety and/or depression?  A good general practitioner will have you take a quick survey as part of your visit.

That's the depression talking.  Really.  You know that you've been "more you" in the past.  You do deserve to feel better.  You do deserve friends & relaxation & nice things.

If a doctor brushes you off, find a new doctor!

This!

Parasaurolophus

I think I have appendicitis. The pain was excruciating, but suddenly mostly dissipated just before I got to the hospital. We'll see soon.
I know it's a genus.

namazu

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 17, 2020, 10:06:31 PM
I think I have appendicitis. The pain was excruciating, but suddenly mostly dissipated just before I got to the hospital. We'll see soon.
That probably means it finally ruptured, and you'll soon experience sepsis.

(Seriously, though, I hope all's well!)

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Volhiker78

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 17, 2020, 10:06:31 PM

I hope this was not the case.  In any case, best wishes.   V78