News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Advice??

Started by mahagonny, October 20, 2020, 07:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quotation: "If refusing to admit that some institutions treat adjuncts badly is wrong, then so is refusing to advise adjuncts to consider leaving when the situation is intolerable."

It is obvious when one can quit doing X and do something more like Y instead.

If no one requested advice then no one is refusing to give it. I'll say it again: there is no obligation to give advice when no one requests it. You may believe that your job or your uniquely vast experience and energy compel you to go around giving advice, but that would be your issue, and the phone book (or internet) has the names of plenty of therapists for you and your self-importance.

If a significant number of jobs in any business are so squalid as to be unrecommendable, then people will talk, and union organizers will show up. Grow up and get used to it.

The purpose of repeatedly 'advising' adjuncts far and wide to leave their job is to reinforce the status quo, i.e. the tenure system and its associated quest for lucrative jobs, more overemphasis on research with juicy pensions and benefits through the unbundling of academic labor and the cultivation of two separate classes of workers, one of them dead end, temporary and disrespected. It is a cheap, shameless way to cozy up to the tenure track by making a spectacle of the adjunct and his choices. Then feeling pleased with yourself because you're generous with advice is a side benefit that could appeal only to someone's who's incredibly arrogant. There are these types of administrators finding a place for their breed.

polly_mer

If the unions were going to save the adjuncts, then that would have already happened.

At this point with Covid belt tightening, many contingent workers have already lost their jobs.

Departments and even institutions are going under.

The best time to have left the crummy adjunct work was several years ago. 

The second best time is now for anyone who can get another job and start another career path.

Changing an institution or indeed the whole higher ed sector is hard.  Changing oneself may be hard, but is within one's control.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

Quote from: polly_mer on October 20, 2020, 01:16:24 PM
If the unions were going to save the adjuncts, then that would have already happened.

At this point with Covid belt tightening, many contingent workers have already lost their jobs.

Well done.

polly_mer

Quote from: mahagonny on October 20, 2020, 03:54:04 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on October 20, 2020, 01:16:24 PM

Well done.

No, I've been giving advice to get out of that situation before it goes under and yet people are waiting until it actually goes under to leave.

If I were in charge, then things would have gracefully transitioned and reallocated to have much less tragic loss.

But, fine, all I can do is continue to give the advice to get out while it's still a matter of leaving under one's own power to something else instead of waiting for the mad scramble upon being thrown out.

That's still much better than claiming that the unions will save it when that's been demonstrably untrue.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!